Michael Moore Insults Sniper...

Sistrin

We are such stuff as dreams are made on...
Supporter
Jun 9, 2012
Location Location Location
✟197,980.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I was chatting with a vet who said he'd "toured" Afghanistan twice. He said he could write a book about stupid questions people ask when they find out he's a vet.

I can guess one of them. Tell some people you toured Afghanistan and they process that as if you went on vacation.

Upvote 0

ChristsSoldier115

Mabaho na Kuya
Jul 30, 2013
The greatest state in the Union: Ohio
✟26,502.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Wow. Given I feel I can sometimes come across here as a bit arrogant I really appreciate that. I don't mean to appear arrogant, for I don't feel I am better than anyone else here, I just state my beliefs and opinions bluntly.

However in regard to your comments. In my military service I did encounter a number of guys who could be a bit...overbearing...at times. It was a byproduct of Ranger training, as truthfully Ranger school and Ranger training is one of those endeavors not everyone is capable of completing. In saying this I have no intention of belittling anyone, it is simply true. Ranger school is hard, just to get in is hard. And what follows is no picnic either. I always tended to rationalize it in this manner.

Yeah, I did it. But I wasn't the only one. There were many other guys who did it too, there are many guys out there right now trying to make it, many who have and are serving in the units. There are many others serving in all sorts of military units, and many who have. For me to walk around with a big chip on my shoulder would be, I think, demeaning not only to myself but to them.

I also recall a very brief conversation I and a few members of our unit had with a Delta Force operator. When one of our guys told him we were Rangers, his reply was "Yeah, so?"

A little humility never hurt anyone.

Again, thanks. For what it is worth I don't often agree with the political comments made by the artist formally known of as TheYoungTurk, but he and I have had a few private conversations and I think he is a decent guy. I am sure it would work out similarly with any one else here. Except for Tulc...:wave::cool::D:pray::bow::kiss::hug::clap::wave::wave::wave::wave::wave::wave::wave::wave::wave::wave::wave:

I think that would be true in any endeavor, any field.

The Patriots cheat. However you have exposed a personal bias. I just don't like either team.

The worse ranger tabbed folks were the poor saps who didn't get assigned to a real ranger battalion. They love to throw that tab in your face. It is even worse if they're both sapper and ranger tabbed and stuck in a regular army unit. They would spend less time training their soldiers and more time talking about the "glory days"[Ie the time they were in the school since they wre in the regular army]

Worse as in arrogant jerks who thought they were the super soldier of the unit due to being one of the few tabbed. My hats off to all those tabbed, because that school isn't easy. They were good soldiers, but half of them were horrible leaders.

The SPECOPs folks I worked with were very humble and didn't act like they were the captian amercians that us regular joes admired them as.

lol delta force.. They have rangers do KP duty for them... I've seen it with my own eyes. They might have done that to humble them. I don't know.

Upvote 0

Sistrin

Supporter
Jun 9, 2012
✟197,980.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The worse ranger tabbed folks were the poor saps who didn't get assigned to a real ranger battalion. They love to throw that tab in your face. It is even worse if they're both sapper and ranger tabbed and stuck in a regular army unit.

I knew a guy like that. I was in a couple of regular line units before I volunteered for Ranger School. Truth is one of the reasons I decided to sign up was from having to listen to that guy always talking about how hard it was and what he did and how none of us could make it blah blah blah. He really was one of those arrogant...guys...Supercloud was talking about. One day I decided if he could do it so could I. I guess I owe him in one regard, once I got there I sure as heck wasn't going to quit.

Worse as in arrogant jerks who thought they were the super soldier of the unit due to being one of the few tabbed. My hats off to all those tabbed, because that school isn't easy. They were good soldiers, but half of them were horrible leaders.

During training we had an E-5 with us I really admired. Nothing seemed to phase the guy, regardless of how hard things got or how tired we were, he was always one step ahead, always driving on, as they say. By the time we graduated I would have followed him anywhere, not because he was a great leader but because regardless of what may have been going on we knew he would be in the middle of everything and still operating. I guess he was what one would call a natural leader, because he never seemed to try he just did it. He later went SF.

The SPECOPs folks I worked with were very humble and didn't act like they were the captian amercians that us regular joes admired them as.

You are right most SPECOPs guys are. The worst soldiers I ever encountered were those who signed up for specialized training and then didn't make it. They tended to project, and hated us for not failing, I guess. But like I said I don't and have never looked down on any service man or woman. Line unit grunts fought and died in Iraq and Afghanistan, so did Airmen, Marines, Navy. They all deserve respect.

lol delta force.. They have rangers do KP duty for them... I've seen it with my own eyes. They might have done that to humble them. I don't know.

They tended to pick on those displaying a bit too much ego.

Upvote 0

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I can guess one of them. Tell some people you toured Afghanistan and they process that as if you went on vacation.

The more I've talked with guys (or listened) that have been in those zones, the more I realize we civvies have little clue about it.

Upvote 0

Brigid48

Aug 8, 2014
USA
✟1,137.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Green
American Sniper is little more than conservative propaganda that's an insult to history and an insult to the intelligence of anyone who watches. It's chock-filled with dishoesty, rewriting of history, and outright made up events.

Every movie rewrites history. What American Sniper did is much, much worse.

Updated by Amanda Taub on January 22, 2015, 11:10 a.m. ET

American Sniper has a problem. It's a movie about a black-and-white distinction between good and evil, but it is set almost entirely in the Iraq War, which can only be honestly portrayed in shades of gray.

Faced with a choice between altering its narrative to account for that gray versus altering the facts of history, the film chose the latter. It adopted an "honesty shmonesty" approach to the war: in its retelling, Iraq was a fight of Good Americans against Bad Terrorists, led by Chris Kyle, the Good-est American of them all.

The result is a sort of Hezbollah martyr video for the Fox News set; recruitment propaganda for culture-war extremists.In the world of this movie, the Iraq war is an extension of the war on terror; heroes with guns are our only hope of salvation; and anyone who doubts that is part of the problem.And if the film's historic box office success and many award nominations are anything to go by, that propaganda is frighteningly effective.

The movie's central moral metaphor is voiced by Kyle's father during a flashback to his childhood. There are, he explains, three types of people in the world: wolves, sheep, and sheepdogs. The evil wolves threaten the sheep. The sheep are good people, but vulnerable to harm because they're too naive to understand that evil exists. That means that it's up to the sheepdogs to protect them from harm.

In that metaphor, Kyle is America's border collie, shepherding the weak and vulnerable away from harm. The movie's Big Bad Wolves are al-Qaeda terrorists, led by a psychopathic child-torturer and his marksman sidekick.

And the sheep? They would be the other Americans who lack Chris Kyle's vision and fortitude, and fail to understand that you're either with us or against us. That includes fellow US troops who lack Kyle's skill, or who dare to question the war. Iraqis, by contrast, are not sheep: in this movie they're either wolves themselves, or nameless collateral damage. Mostly wolves, though.

Read more: Every movie rewrites history. What American Sniper did is much, much worse. - Vox

Upvote 0

South Bound

I stand with Israel.
Jan 3, 2014
✟31,159.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
American Sniper is little more than conservative propaganda that's an insult to history and an insult to the intelligence of anyone who watches. It's chock-filled with dishoesty, rewriting of history, and outright made up events.

I guess the obvious question would be, why did you go and see it in the first place? Surely, you must have known what it was going to be about.

Upvote 0

ChristsSoldier115

Mabaho na Kuya
Jul 30, 2013
The greatest state in the Union: Ohio
✟26,502.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
In Relationship

Well judging by that quote.. if a majority of americans are using a movie for history lessons.. I think we got bigger problems.

Upvote 0

South Bound

I stand with Israel.
Jan 3, 2014
✟31,159.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Well judging by that quote.. if a majority of americans are using a movie for history lessons.. I think we got bigger problems.

We live in a world where the Daily Show and MSNBC are considered "journalism".

American Sniper never claims to be a history lesson, any more than Selma should be considered a history lesson, although I sincerely doubt that Brigid or the blog author would criticize its historical revisionism.

I read the whole review Brigid posted and it gets its own facts wrong. The movie never claims that Iraq was responsible for 9/11. It's just stupid to believe that a movie about a Navy SEAL in 2001 wouldn't include any reference to 9/11. I've seen the movie twice now and the only reference to 9/11 I can recall is when Taya wakes Chris up to watch the breaking news of the attack on the WTC. It's not mentioned after that.

As for the blogger's claim that the movie portrays all Iraqis as terrorists, that's simply not true.

In the first briefing, it's explained to them that the non-combatants have been evacuated so the only military aged Iraqis have been warned and are considered to be enemy combatants.

To the contrary, we see Kyle and his team protecting one family, while sitting down to dinner with another (which is probably a bad example, which I won't go into to protect the plot from those who haven't seen it).

Upvote 0

Brigid48

Aug 8, 2014
USA
✟1,137.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Green
I guess the obvious question would be, why did you go and see it in the first place? Surely, you must have known what it was going to be about.
So you admit it's a RW propaganda film that rewrites history? Good to hear.:thumbsup:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Sistrin

Supporter
Jun 9, 2012
✟197,980.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
As for the blogger's claim that the movie portrays all Iraqis as terrorists...

I am not surprised at the backlash against this movie from certain quarters. As I said before and have no problem saying again, there is a segment of the American population that in every conflict side with the enemy. Taub is obviously one of those, pontificating from the America bad, Bush/Cheney evil, I support the troops but not the mission garbage point of view. Senior Sadness Correspondent? What is that even supposed to mean.

My guess is she spends each and every day mad about something.

Upvote 0

South Bound

I stand with Israel.
Jan 3, 2014
✟31,159.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So you admit it's a RW propaganda film that rewrites history? Good to hear.:thumbsup:

So, you admit you never even bothered to see the movie for yourself but, instead, like a good little liberal, outsourced your thinking to someone else and just decided to make false claims about the movie without having any idea what in the world you're talking about? Good to hear.

Upvote 0

Brigid48

Aug 8, 2014
USA
✟1,137.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Green
So, you admit you never even bothered to see the movie for yourself but, instead, like a good little liberal, outsourced your thinking to someone else and just decided to make false claims about the movie without having any idea what in the world you're talking about? Good to hear.
I watched the movie, sweetiepie. Didn't contribute to it monetarily while doing so, though.

But good to see you don't deny that the film is nothing but conservative pro-war propaganda.

Upvote 0

South Bound

I stand with Israel.
Jan 3, 2014
✟31,159.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I watched the movie.

Then why couldn't you provide examples from the film to back up your claim.

But good to see you don't deny that the film is nothing but conservative pro-war propaganda.

Actually, I didn't deny it because no argument that it was "nothing but conservative pro-war propaganda" was made and, thus, there was nothing for me to refute.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Brigid48

Aug 8, 2014
USA
✟1,137.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Green
Then why were your claims about the movie wrong? Why couldn't you provide examples from the film to back up your claim.
What claims are ypou blabbering about?

Actually, I didn't deny it because no argument that it was "nothing but conservative pro-war propaganda" was made and, thus, there was nothing for me to refute.
Thanks for continuing to not deny the fact that it is a conservative pro-war propaganda film.:thumbsup:

Upvote 0

Sistrin

Supporter
Jun 9, 2012
✟197,980.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I watched the movie, sweetiepie. Didn't contribute to it monetarily while doing so, though.

So you either stole the movie somehow or conned someone else into paying for your ticket. Either way, your pride in the accomplishment is showing.

Upvote 0

Brigid48

Aug 8, 2014
USA
✟1,137.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Green
So you either stole the movie somehow or conned someone else into paying for your ticket. Either way, your pride in the accomplishment is showing.
Rather, I paid for a ticket for a film that I felt deserved some contributing to (Into the Woods), and went into this movie instead. Cry me a river.

Upvote 0

nightflight

Veteran
Mar 13, 2006
Your dreams.
✟30,570.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

Did you like the movie?

Upvote 0