Nebraska
✟419,198.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
At the end of your sermon, you do a “benediction” section, in which you talk about making reparations on the local and individual level: donating to groups like the United Negro College Fund or a scholarship program, but also, to cite your example from the book, paying “the black person who cuts your grass double what you might ordinarily pay.” That gave me pause! Good! I used to say in church, “If the sermon ain’t making you a little bit uncomfortable, it ain’t effective.” Look, if it doesn’t cost you anything, you’re not really engaging in change; you’re engaging in convenience. You’re engaged in the overflow. I’m asking you to do stuff you wouldn’t ordinarily do. I’m asking you to think more seriously and strategically about why you possess what you possess.

I agree with reparations, but maybe this is my white privilege speaking: I can’t imagine actually doing that. That is what I meant by an I.R.A.: an individual reparations account. You ain’t got to ask the government, you don’t have to ask your local politician — this is what you, an individual, conscientious, “woke” citizen can do.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/04/...s&contentPlacement=7&pgtype=sectionfront&_r=0

I said it once, and I'll say it again: privilege is the cultural marxists' version of original sin.

• Agree
Reactions: Paul Yohannan

Vylo

Stick with the King!
Aug 3, 2003
New Jersey
✟203,465.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Reparations are a great idea, once someone invents a time machine we can go back and do them when they were relevant.

The timetable for reparations having a lasting and meaningful effect has long passed, I have no doubt they were delayed knowing that this would eventually be the case.

Instead we can make color-blind programs that assist the poor in getting the skills and support they need to compete and thrive. Thus it always benefits whichever group is struggling the most.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Status
Not open for further replies.