Illinois
✟468,399.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Married
So I have a question. I'm sorry, I probably should of read through the links in the stickied topices but there are many different churches and dozens and dozens of pages of reading. So basically my question is what are the key differences between Methodist, Nazarene and Wesleyan belief systems? Is Wesleyan pretty much the same thing as Methodist or am I way off? It's a church I'm interested in joining and I have been looking on my own for a while now so I would just like some clarification. Thank you.

broken_one

Fear is but something to be overcome.
Jun 5, 2008
✟22,438.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
So I have a question. I'm sorry, I probably should of read through the links in the stickied topices but there are many different churches and dozens and dozens of pages of reading. So basically my question is what are the key differences between Methodist, Nazarene and Wesleyan belief systems? Is Wesleyan pretty much the same thing as Methodist or am I way off? It's a church I'm interested in joining and I have been looking on my own for a while now so I would just like some clarification. Thank you.
As a Wesleyan, I can kinda break down the difference for you between us and Methodism: there is no real difference.

The reason why we split from the Methodists was because 150 years ago they were appearing indifferent about slavery whereas we wanted to abolish it entirely. But since we fought a war to get rid of it, that's kind of a moot point.

Nowadays, we are basically the same. We're even a part of the greater Methodist congress (or whatever that's called).

I don't know what's going on with Nazarenes, though.

Upvote 0

revanneosl

Mystically signifying since 1985
Feb 25, 2007
Northern Illniois
✟39,310.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
The official theological positions of all three denominations are nearly identical. The main difference you will find isn't on the theoretical level, but on the practical personal level. By and large, Nazarene and Wesleyan congregations tend to lean more in the direction of classically holiness-oriented conservative evangelicalism, whereas United Methodist congregations tend to lean more in the direction of liberal mainline protestantism.

This is a very broad generalization. In the case of individual congregations, and certainly individual members ymmv.

Reactions: Sphinx777
Upvote 0

Kristen.NewCreation

Jul 11, 2007
Visit site
✟303,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Nazarene checking in. :wave:

I would guess that Red is pretty accurate - they are very similar, Nazarenes are Holiness driven, and is pretty conservative in general. I spent 3 years at a Wesleyan University and didn't have any difficulties between their worship services and the ones I normally experience, so I would say not a big difference in general between those two. Having only visited the Methodist church a couple times, I couldn't address this.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

revanneosl

Mystically signifying since 1985
Feb 25, 2007
Northern Illniois
✟39,310.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
But again - this varies widely by individual congregation. I've served churches that were liturgy-free: no altar hangings, no candles, no robes, no scripted prayers; I've also served churches where you'd have sworn you were at Mass. I myself prefer a highly liturgical service, but many United Methodists vehemently do not.

Upvote 0

cavell

Senior Veteran
Jan 14, 2006
Yorkshire, England
✟34,982.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Conservative
I am of Methodist heritage.....And proud of it.

It was the Wesley brothers, having scholarship, learned and educated, met the Master. Not allowed to preach in the C of E churches, they preached in surrounding areas,......Founding Methodism,.... a way to worship God.

Methodism afforded a way for common folks to worship the Lord God Almighty. Buildings were erected for worship. Hymns of majestic, gospel embracing poem were sang. Folks began to sing. Society was transformed, revolution was forgotton .

"And can it be....that I should gain an interest in the Saviors blood........."

"Sinners Jesus will receive shed this word of light abroad"

"Lo he comes with clouds decending......."

"come sinners to the gospel feast, let every soul be Jesus Guest"

Some that come to mind as I write.......

Upvote 0

Zoness

667, neighbor of the beast
Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2008
Illinois
✟468,399.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Married
Well I'm going to just have to look around. Unfortunately in town there are only 2 Methodist churches. Odd I think considering Baptist churches outnumber them like 21 to 1 but whatever I'll see what I can get. I also decided to order a book suggested to me in another thread about Wesleyan theology, if anyone else has reading materials I would appreciate it.

Upvote 0

GraceSeeker

Jul 2, 2007
USA
✟17,297.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Being raised Catholic a bit of liturgy doesn't bother me, I didn't know they had it but it doesn't bother me. Still planning to check out all three branches.

Zones, I used to be a United Methodist pastor just south of you in Abingdon. Let me know if you want any help in figuring out anything about the UM churches in the Galesburg area.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Zoness

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2008
Illinois
✟468,399.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Married
Zones, I used to be a United Methodist pastor just south of you in Abingdon. Let me know if you want any help in figuring out anything about the UM churches in the Galesburg area.

I would be interested in finding out more about any of them at this point. I see myself as "Methodist" but I'm sure I'd attend any related church but I guess UMC is a good place to start. :)

Upvote 0

ContraMundum

Messianic Jewish Christian
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2005
Visit site
✟78,078.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
As a Wesleyan, I can kinda break down the difference for you between us and Methodism: there is no real difference.

I have a question: didn't the Wesleyans in the US recently change their doctrine as to no longer state a belief in infant baptism?

Am I right about that or did I hear wrong?

The Methodists have more liturgy and ritual than the Nazarenes. (examples: the Methodist Pastors wear robes, they have altar servers with robes that light a candle, they procession up to the front, they give ashes on Ash wednesday)

and actually...there are liturigical Nazarene services also...
robes, communion every week, lighting of candles....
it totally depends on where you live as far as Nazarene congregations...

I recently saw a dvd on the Nazarene church. There was all kinds of expressions of worship on the DVD, including some very liturgical services. That made me happy, and I thought "if only we had that kind of church in our country".

Me- I'm thoroughly Methodist, but I serve in the church of the first Methodists- Anglican. :) I wish I could be both at once.

Upvote 0

Zoness

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2008
Illinois
✟468,399.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Married
Bump. First question ^

Do wesleyan and nazarene churches have a difficult membership process? Thats probably a long way off for me but I still wonder. You see because of my family's strict catholicism I can't go too far out of my way to attend another church so I am generalizing my search a bit to see what I can get that's close to me.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.