1. Saying Goodbye to a Great Staffer: Edial
    Please help me wish Edial a wonderful blessed journey as he steps down from CF staff.
    His footprint on our ministry will always remain but his presence will be greatly missed. I'm sure he will come around as a member to all his favorite forums but for now please join me at his profile page to wish him many thanks for the years of service he has brought to us all.
    All of us on CF staff will miss him dearly!!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Welcome to Christian Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
  • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
  • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting after you have posted 20 posts and have received 5 likes.
  • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Methodist vs Nazarene vs Wesleyan

Discussion in 'Wesley's Parish - Methodist/ Nazarene' started by Zoness, Jul 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zoness

Zoness Neopagan Cryptoanarchist Supporter

Marital Status:
    In Relationship
    Faith:
    Pagan
    So I have a question. I'm sorry, I probably should of read through the links in the stickied topices but there are many different churches and dozens and dozens of pages of reading. So basically my question is what are the key differences between Methodist, Nazarene and Wesleyan belief systems? Is Wesleyan pretty much the same thing as Methodist or am I way off? It's a church I'm interested in joining and I have been looking on my own for a while now so I would just like some clarification. Thank you.

2. broken_one

broken_one Fear is but something to be overcome.

Marital Status:
    Single
    Faith:
    Methodist
    As a Wesleyan, I can kinda break down the difference for you between us and Methodism: there is no real difference.

The reason why we split from the Methodists was because 150 years ago they were appearing indifferent about slavery whereas we wanted to abolish it entirely. But since we fought a war to get rid of it, that's kind of a moot point.

Nowadays, we are basically the same. We're even a part of the greater Methodist congress (or whatever that's called).

I don't know what's going on with Nazarenes, though.

3. Zoness

Marital Status:
    In Relationship
    Faith:
    Pagan
    Ok part of my question answered hehe.

Calling all Nazarenes!

4. Redheadedstepchild

Redheadedstepchild Child of God Supporter

Marital Status:
    Widow/Widower
    Politics:
    US-Others
    Faith:
    Methodist
    I think the differences lie in the extent each denomination persues holiness, interprets the Bible, etc. There may be some minor differences in practice (like infant Baptism).

5. revanneosl

revanneosl Mystically signifying since 1985

Marital Status:
    Married
    Politics:
    US-Democrat
    Faith:
    Methodist
    The official theological positions of all three denominations are nearly identical. The main difference you will find isn't on the theoretical level, but on the practical personal level. By and large, Nazarene and Wesleyan congregations tend to lean more in the direction of classically holiness-oriented conservative evangelicalism, whereas United Methodist congregations tend to lean more in the direction of liberal mainline protestantism.

This is a very broad generalization. In the case of individual congregations, and certainly individual members ymmv.

Sphinx777 likes this.
  6. Zoness

Marital Status:
    In Relationship
    Faith:
    Pagan
    Well I'm more mainline in general but I think I will experiment with all of the different churchs and just see what I am comfortable with. :)

7. Kristen.NewCreation

Kristen.NewCreation CF Owner's Advisory Team Staff Member Site Advisor Supporter Recovery Team

Marital Status:
    Private
    Faith:
    Christian
    Nazarene checking in. :wave:

I would guess that Red is pretty accurate - they are very similar, Nazarenes are Holiness driven, and is pretty conservative in general. I spent 3 years at a Wesleyan University and didn't have any difficulties between their worship services and the ones I normally experience, so I would say not a big difference in general between those two. Having only visited the Methodist church a couple times, I couldn't address this.

8. RedTulipMom

RedTulipMom Legend

Marital Status:
    Married
    Politics:
    US-Others
    Faith:
    Nazarene
    The Methodists have more liturgy and ritual than the Nazarenes. (examples: the Methodist Pastors wear robes, they have altar servers with robes that light a candle, they procession up to the front, they give ashes on Ash wednesday)

9. Zoness

Marital Status:
    In Relationship
    Faith:
    Pagan
    Being raised Catholic a bit of liturgy doesn't bother me, I didn't know they had it but it doesn't bother me. Still planning to check out all three branches.

10. Redheadedstepchild

Redheadedstepchild Child of God Supporter

Marital Status:
    Widow/Widower
    Politics:
    US-Others
    Faith:
    Methodist
    When she says more liturgy, remember this is relative. We do have more than the Nazarenes but I'd wager considerably less than Catholics.

11. revanneosl

revanneosl Mystically signifying since 1985

Marital Status:
    Married
    Politics:
    US-Democrat
    Faith:
    Methodist
    But again - this varies widely by individual congregation. I've served churches that were liturgy-free: no altar hangings, no candles, no robes, no scripted prayers; I've also served churches where you'd have sworn you were at Mass. I myself prefer a highly liturgical service, but many United Methodists vehemently do not.

12. cavell

cavell Senior Veteran

Marital Status:
    Married
    Politics:
    UK-Conservative
    Faith:
    Christian
    I am of Methodist heritage.....And proud of it.

It was the Wesley brothers, having scholarship, learned and educated, met the Master. Not allowed to preach in the C of E churches, they preached in surrounding areas,......Founding Methodism,.... a way to worship God.

Methodism afforded a way for common folks to worship the Lord God Almighty. Buildings were erected for worship. Hymns of majestic, gospel embracing poem were sang. Folks began to sing. Society was transformed, revolution was forgotton .

"And can it be....that I should gain an interest in the Saviors blood........."

"Sinners Jesus will receive shed this word of light abroad"

"Lo he comes with clouds decending......."

"come sinners to the gospel feast, let every soul be Jesus Guest"

Some that come to mind as I write.......

13. Zoness

Marital Status:
    In Relationship
    Faith:
    Pagan
    Well I'm going to just have to look around. Unfortunately in town there are only 2 Methodist churches. Odd I think considering Baptist churches outnumber them like 21 to 1 but whatever I'll see what I can get. I also decided to order a book suggested to me in another thread about Wesleyan theology, if anyone else has reading materials I would appreciate it.

14. GraceSeeker

GraceSeeker Senior Member

Marital Status:
    Married
    Faith:
    Methodist

Zones, I used to be a United Methodist pastor just south of you in Abingdon. Let me know if you want any help in figuring out anything about the UM churches in the Galesburg area.

15. Hediru

Hediru Seminarian

Marital Status:
    Single
    Politics:
    US-Republican
    Faith:
    Methodist
    Yes. Much less than Catholics, and when you throw in Blended and contemporary styles of worship, we're even more different yet. Every congregation is different.

16. Zoness

Marital Status:
    In Relationship
    Faith:
    Pagan
    I would be interested in finding out more about any of them at this point. I see myself as "Methodist" but I'm sure I'd attend any related church but I guess UMC is a good place to start. :)

17. ParaCristo

ParaCristo Legend Supporter

Marital Status:
    Married
    Faith:
    Nazarene
    and actually...there are liturigical Nazarene services also...
    robes, communion every week, lighting of candles....
    it totally depends on where you live as far as Nazarene congregations...

18. ContraMundum

ContraMundum Messianic Jewish Christian Supporter

Marital Status:
    Private
    Faith:
    Christian
    I have a question: didn't the Wesleyans in the US recently change their doctrine as to no longer state a belief in infant baptism?

Am I right about that or did I hear wrong?

I recently saw a dvd on the Nazarene church. There was all kinds of expressions of worship on the DVD, including some very liturgical services. That made me happy, and I thought "if only we had that kind of church in our country".

Me- I'm thoroughly Methodist, but I serve in the church of the first Methodists- Anglican. :) I wish I could be both at once.

19. Zoness

Marital Status:
    In Relationship
    Faith:
    Pagan
    I've sorta been looking at Wesleyan is more of a blanket term for everyone that is Methodist/Wesleyan/Nazarene because they all pretty much hail from the same theological background, am I correct?

20. Zoness

Marital Status:
    In Relationship
    Faith:
    Pagan
    Bump. First question ^

Do wesleyan and nazarene churches have a difficult membership process? Thats probably a long way off for me but I still wonder. You see because of my family's strict catholicism I can't go too far out of my way to attend another church so I am generalizing my search a bit to see what I can get that's close to me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.