Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I heard the other day on a podcast, where the priest often uses the Greek instead of English for important words in his teaching, he mentioned metanoia - repentance.

Which immediately got me wondering whether it was connected with the bow where the hand is touched to the ground - which I thought was essentially the same word.

I wanted to come here to ask, but I did look in up and found this on OrthoWiki ...

Metanoia (Greek μετάνοια) means a "change of heart," or, more literally, "after perception," tying it closely to the idea of repentance.

Metanoia is also another name for a prostration, with the idea that the physical movement of prostration is an indication of an internal reorientation to follow Christ.

I can't really add a question to this, but does anyone have any further comments? I love when these things come together for me. :)

Anhelyna

Handmaid of God
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2005
Glasgow , Scotland
✟1,295,705.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
You've got it Kylissa :)

I was always taught that metanoia is more than just repentance - it's also a deep desire to turn back to God and reform our lives.

Those of us who are physically unable to make prostrations [ think of the fast approaching Fast ] have to manage with, what you described as the bow with the hand sweeping down to the ground [ umm I was taught to do that when I was greeted by a Greek Bishop in London as well].

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Thank you, Anhelyna and Buzuki. :)

I wonder, is that thought ever present in anyone's mind as they approach an icon and perform a metanoia?

Does it being the same word influence how you think about repentance, veneration, or penance?

I'm not sure if that makes sense. Those who have Greek as a strong language, or those who learn it - language can influence the ways we think, but I'm not sure we are always aware of it.

I tend to focus on respect or admiration, and thankfulness, sometimes a sense of connection or fellowship, when I approach icons in general. Though an icon of Christ in particular can inspire all kinds of thoughts and isn't easily explained.

Upvote 0

Mary of Bethany

Only one thing is needful.
Site Supporter
Jul 8, 2004
✟341,456.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Thank you, Anhelyna and Buzuki. :)

I wonder, is that thought ever present in anyone's mind as they approach an icon and perform a metanoia?

Does it being the same word influence how you think about repentance, veneration, or penance?

I'm not sure if that makes sense. Those who have Greek as a strong language, or those who learn it - language can influence the ways we think, but I'm not sure we are always aware of it.

I tend to focus on respect or admiration, and thankfulness, sometimes a sense of connection or fellowship, when I approach icons in general. Though an icon of Christ in particular can inspire all kinds of thoughts and isn't easily explained.

It's pretty much the same for me, Kylissa. I don't really connect icon veneration to the thought of metanoia beyond the prayer of "have mercy".

Mary

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,464,124.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I think something to keep in mind, and one of my profs told me this, is since the whole man is saved in Christ, the whole man is repentant. repentance is physical and spiritual. and doing bows or prostrations as we repent and pray bring the whole of us into the prayer.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
It's pretty much the same for me, Kylissa. I don't really connect icon veneration to the thought of metanoia beyond the prayer of "have mercy".

Mary

Thanks Mary. As related to icon veneration, I haven't thought that. In private prayer to God it can be different though, of course.

Thank you. :)

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I think something to keep in mind, and one of my profs told me this, is since the whole man is saved in Christ, the whole man is repentant. repentance is physical and spiritual. and doing bows or prostrations as we repent and pray bring the whole of us into the prayer.

Thank you Matt. :)

It seems natural to have that kind of posture for repentance, and I know that we are saved in body and soul. But I never thought really of the connection. And not thought much about physical repentance really. I very much appreciate you mentioning that. I want to think about it some more. :)

Thank you again!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I was told its called a small or lesser prostration. I believe the full or greater prostration is only done at Pentecost.

It depends, I think, on the jurisdiction. I've been in Orthodox Churches outside Pentecost that certainly did full prostrations.

And I've been in Churches where it was never really done, at least by everyone. Acts of personal piety seem to be very personal in Orthodox Churches, and vary quite a bit between people and no one really seems to notice most of the time. :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Shieldmaiden4Christ

Eastward bound
Aug 28, 2013
Where the Wild Things Are
✟16,564.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
It depends, I think, on the jurisdiction. I've been in Orthodox Churches outside Pentecost that certainly did full prostrations.

And I've been in Churches where it was never really done, at least by everyone. Acts of personal piety seem to be very personal in Orthodox Churches, and vary quite a bit between people and no one really seems to notice most of the time. :)

This is an excellent observation, actually. One of the things I like so much about Orthodoxy is that spirituality and personality piety are so very personal without judgment. I'm probably not making much sense, but basically I view these things as so personal that I have trouble expressing them elsewhere. However, with the Orthodox, I feel at ease to express these things.

Does that make sense?

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
This is an excellent observation, actually. One of the things I like so much about Orthodoxy is that spirituality and personality piety are so very personal without judgment. I'm probably not making much sense, but basically I view these things as so personal that I have trouble expressing them elsewhere. However, with the Orthodox, I feel at ease to express these things.

Does that make sense?

You make perfect sense to me. :)

I don't even really like to have too "set" a way of doing things. Yes, I cross myself when the Trinity is mentioned ... but at other times, I do it because I want to. And other people are free to do the same. The same is true with full or partial prostrations, and pretty much any other kind of pious expression.

I like that it's personal. It's not just "what we do when xyz happens". That would make it too wooden, and rob it of its meaning, sooner or later.

I had more to say too, and am finding that I can't express it either, LOL.

But yes, I think I know exactly what you mean. And being able to express those things personally whenever and however I want means a very great deal to me, and deepens their value and meaning. :)

Upvote 0