United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
MAENTSAELAE, Finland (AFP) —
Most teens may not get excited about church, but in Finland they go out of their way to attend in the latest testimony to the country's infatuation with heavy metal music: Metal Mass.

"It's nice that there are slightly different church services compared to the usual ones," says 15-year-old Teea Pallaskari, who skipped geography class to make the service in the plain, red-brick Lutheran Church -- the state religion -- in this small town about 60 kilometres (40 miles) north of Helsinki.

Inside, Pallaskari and her classmates squash together on packed pews, belting out hymns as a lead singer moshes wildly onstage to his band's earsplitting tones.

When the music stops, the students burst into ecstatic applause and whistles -- to smiling approval from Pastor Haka Kekaelaeinen. It's Metal Mass -- or Metallimessu -- and it's okay to be loud.

"It was really good," Akseli Inkinen, a 17-year-old high school student with long, messy hair and big headphones, says afterwards.

It is hardly surprising that masses with metal hymns have surfaced in Finland, which won the Eurovision Song Contest for the first time in 2006 with Lordi's monster heavy metal song "Hard Rock Hallelujah".

Continued- http://afp.google.com/article/ALeqM5jxbfNT6wiN2oOOgxeuNf-As3fvpQ

isabella1

All is in God's hand!
Nov 23, 2007
Home
✟20,118.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Gee Wiz, whats next! Not appropriate music for focusing on the Holiness of Mass or the Eucharist.

Isn't this where peps will pipe in and say "Mass is not about emotions"? I certainly agree. Is this emotionalism at its best? I want to feel good and have fun in mass. Lets not worry about what the mass is really about, lets not really focus on Jesus and the real presence, lets just focus on head banging and feeling good.

Ugh!!!:doh:

Upvote 0

MoNiCa4316

Totus Tuus
Jun 28, 2007
✟34,687.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
did this happen in a Lutheran church or a Catholic church? :confused:

"It's nice that there are slightly different church services compared to the usual ones," says 15-year-old Teea Pallaskari, who skipped geography class to make the service in the plain, red-brick Lutheran Church -- the state religion -- in this small town about 60 kilometres (40 miles) north of Helsinki.

Upvote 0

stephenc

Euphemystic
Nov 19, 2006
✟21,782.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
It wouldn't be part of a Catholic Mass; but I suppose there's a difference between a "Mass" and a "Service". Lutheran service's have been Thematic for a long time; and it's a question of meeting young people at their own level of interest. As such, Isn't it just positive?

I don't like Finnish metal myself, but then I'm gettin' older, and I'm not Finnish. (They're a rather different breed from us Norskies. :D)

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.