Where the Wild Things Are
✟16,564.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
yep, I blame the teachers (just kidding gurney, me folks are both teachers and my aunt is a librarian).

The problem is being taught to take a test, not how to think critically. Thanks, No Child Left Behind (or as my mother, a teacher, calls it: "No Child Left Untested"). Funny thing is, if you teach people how to think critically, they're better prepared for the tests. Unfortunately, school administration forces teachers to prepare curricula based on test rubrics.

Upvote 0

rusmeister

A Russified American Orthodox Chestertonian
Dec 9, 2005
Eastern Europe
Visit site
✟434,811.00
Country
Montenegro
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
The problem is being taught to take a test, not how to think critically. Thanks, No Child Left Behind (or as my mother, a teacher, calls it: "No Child Left Untested"). Funny thing is, if you teach people how to think critically, they're better prepared for the tests. Unfortunately, school administration forces teachers to prepare curricula based on test rubrics.

It is FAR more than a Bush-era policy (that we agree is bad). The school system was not even designed in the first place to teach critical thinking - quite the opposite - it was designed to teach UN-critical thinking, and thousands of good people have struggled in it since its inception to achieve what parents, teachers, and even administrators really want, only to be frustrated by the very design of the thing they work in, which serves the interests of those that fund it, who want -and get - compliant consumers who grumble, but who would NEVER lead a revolution or produce what the US founding fathers actually did.

I didn't even know what critical thinkng WAS until I read CS Lewis and GK Chesterton, above all the latter. Some of you wonder why I go on about them and think me monomaniac, or whatever, but they taught me to think, to see, and why there is nowhere else to turn but the Orthodox Church.

I didn't become Orthodox because I saw that it was the only Church. I became Orthodox because my wife was Orthodox. Lewis showed me the necessity of faith, but not of the Church. It was only later that I discovered GKC and why I need the Church and hy there IS no other Church to turn to.

You can read all of the Orthodox writers and saints, and achieve the right spiritual attitude, the most important thing - and never learn critical thinking. You don't need critical thinking to be saved. But if you want to understand the things of this world, the winds and forces that work against the common sense that Orthodoxy brings, nothing beats that ability to think, so I thank and point to the teachers that actually teach that.

Reactions: Kristos
Upvote 0

Shieldmaiden4Christ

Eastward bound
Aug 28, 2013
Where the Wild Things Are
✟16,564.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
We have a phrase around here, "Better the devil you know, than the devil you don't." The rebel factions are to me more terrifying than Assad. Nothing good will come from bombing Syria. Only destruction followed by more destruction.

:(

Upvote 0

rusmeister

Dec 9, 2005
Eastern Europe
Visit site
✟434,811.00
Country
Montenegro
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Rusmeister- I'd really like to send you a PM but apparently this forum has a minimum post requirement for PM'ing. :/

Dunno. They probably want you to prove you're not a spambot. Keep posting!

Upvote 0

rusmeister

Dec 9, 2005
Eastern Europe
Visit site
✟434,811.00
Country
Montenegro
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
We have a phrase around here, "Better the devil you know, than the devil you don't." The rebel factions are to me more terrifying than Assad. Nothing good will come from bombing Syria. Only destruction followed by more destruction.

:(

True. But I don't think we know any of the devils in this scenario well.

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Rus has a long waiting list of fan club members. Take a number. He's a busy man and has writer's cramp from autographs. Be patient, amigo! :p

Rusmeister- I'd really like to send you a PM but apparently this forum has a minimum post requirement for PM'ing. :/

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Pilgrim/Monastic on the Road to God (Psalm 84:1-7)
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Honestly I either want to fight both or neither. I don't support Assad (although Dot has an interesting point - that in the Near East a dictatorship may be a "necessary evil") and I don't want to support al-Qaeda, the Taliban, Hamas or any other radical elements that might be in Syria by this point.

I hadn't heard that a chemical attack was conducted by the rebels, was it reported in many sources?

I thought Sister Thekla had some very solid (though disconcerting) resources on the matter that bring clarity on some of the larger dynamics on who is really involved in the fight - as seen here:
Originally Posted by Thekla
On the Syria, Turkey, Kurd connection/s:

Turkey’s Syria Border on Edge - Al-Monitor: the Pulse of the Middle East

Turkey's support for the FSA:
Court Case Reveals Turkey Arms Flow To Syrian Rebels - Al-Monitor: the Pulse of the Middle East

note: during the Armenian genocide, Syria welcomed Armenians fleeing Turkey
Armenians in Syria - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In short, the Syrian supposed civil war is actually a multi-faceted regional war involving Turkey, Iraq, and Iran as well.
(Last month, 52 Iranian MeK refugees - a dissident group supported by at least some US Wash. players - residing in the Ashraf refugee camp in Iraq were killed reportedly by Iraqi govt. militia. A poke in the eye of the USA ...)
At least 52 Iranian exiles executed in Iraqi camp, U.N. says - Washington Post
...policeman police the citizenry. Not foreign sovereign nations.

Any attempts at policing should be well thought out and decisive. Our involvement in the Syrian civil war would be neither.

It seems that only the uber-wealthy oil shieks, radical Islamists and the French want us to be involved ... plus Obama, of course.

And there's the rub; the interested parties seem not much interested in democracy nor the well being of the average citizen of Syria. (Note no-one approached the political/non-violent Syrian opposition for inclusion/help; 'no-one' includes the USA.)
(Saudi Arabia gave clemency to death row prisoners in exchange for joining the opposition in Syria. Kinda cute, no ?)
[/quote]

Upvote 0