Messianic Judaism vs. Conservative Christianity

Status
Not open for further replies.

yedida

Ruth Messianic, joining Israel, Na'aseh v'nishma!
Oct 6, 2010
Elyria, OH
✟25,205.00
Faith
Marital Status
In Relationship
What is this "Fundamentalist/Conservative Christianity" thing??

Are you attempting to say that they are virtually the same thing??

The only one that's easy to reckon is fundamental, conservative and liberal whatever, never seems to be what I'd think they would be. Those descriptions don't seem to fit. But fundamental/Conservative Christianity don't sound like they would be the same or even bed-fellows. Guess I'm just thick, titles like those just seem to throw me.

Reactions: psalms 91
Upvote 0

Tim Myers

Mar 26, 2011
✟2,382.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
The easiest way to put it........

While Fundamentalism could be considered a "form" of Conservative Christianity, so could the Amish or Mormonism or many other denominations.
Yet, Conservative Christianity should not be considered a form of Fundamentalism.......

Reactions: psalms 91
Upvote 0

ContraMundum

Messianic Jewish Christian
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2005
Visit site
✟78,078.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I've heard various interpretations of that verse. Not all of them include the torture version of hell.

I know. There's plenty of interpretations (eg. casting a meaning upon a text) around. It's better to just exegete (eg. draw meaning directly from) the text.

What makes you think the Hell doctrine was in the originals?

What makes you think they don't?

Can you infallibly ensure your guess will be correct?

Yes they were. But in Milton's case, he incorporated Paganism and classical mythology, as well as using the Book of Enoch (which is where the Fallen Angel story comes from). Dante strays quite far from the Biblical concept of Hell and Satan.

That's ok by me. They are just artists telling stories, not the authors of holy writ. We don't base our doctrine of Hell on them, they based their stories on the doctrine of Hell (and took artistic license with it)

Upvote 0

ContraMundum

Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2005
Visit site
✟78,078.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Contra
What about these two verses? The main difference between 21:8 and 22:18 is that in verse 8 we're told all these people are fearful and unbelieving murderers, whoremongers, liars, etc. and verse 18 does not say that they are fearful and unbelieving. It sounds like these are people who believed but didn't make it into the city of the New Jerusalem. They are outside the City, good light close to the city, getting darker and darker the further away they get. Outer darkness, crying and gnashing of teeth - torment - so close, but not quite......
Rev 21:8 But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death.
Rev 22:14 Blessed are they that do his commandments, that they may have right to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city.
Rev 22:15 For without are dogs, and sorcerers, and whoremongers, and murderers, and idolaters, and whosoever loveth and maketh a lie.

I like to remember that the beginning of the Book of Revelation (Rev. 1:1, KJV is clearest on this) tells you how to approach it- the revelation is given in symbols. Therefore, we need to find the symbolic meaning behind the visions. I think both verses are word-pictures of sinners whose eternal fate is outside of Heaven.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ContraMundum

Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2005
Visit site
✟78,078.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

While Fundamentalism could be considered a "form" of Conservative Christianity, so could the Amish or Mormonism or many other denominations.
Yet, Conservative Christianity should not be considered a form of Fundamentalism.......

This is well said. :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

SGM4HIM

Jul 17, 2005
North Florida
✟10,654.00
Faith
Non-Denom
The only one that's easy to reckon is fundamental, conservative and liberal whatever, never seems to be what I'd think they would be. Those descriptions don't seem to fit. But fundamental/Conservative Christianity don't sound like they would be the same or even bed-fellows. Guess I'm just thick, titles like those just seem to throw me.
:thumbsup::thumbsup:
Broad, sweeping labels used to put people 100% in one camp or the other, tend to be provocative and are not useful.

Reactions: visionary
Upvote 0

Jase

Feb 20, 2003
✟10,432.00
Faith
Messianic
Politics
US-Democrat

Do not both Conservative and Fundamentalist Christians share similar views on the origin of life, hell, Satan, inerrancy etc. that I alluded to in the OP? Conservative is a much broader category, and far older, where as Fundamentalism is a 19th/20th Century movement in the United States. But both share the views I was questioning. Would you prefer to add the word "many" before listing a group to clarify not every single one is like that?

Generalizations are a fact of life. It's easier to point out an overarching theme among a group, then to nitpick which individual members believe what. Go to the Conservative board and you'll see a long thread where they claim Liberal Christians are not really Christian, and completely corrupt the image of Christianity.

Upvote 0

Lulav

Y'shua is His Name
Aug 24, 2007
✟494,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
I've heard various interpretations of that verse. Not all of them include the torture version of hell. The verse is talking about the Jews being cast out. Some commentators state it's a reference to them being cast out into the Gentile world, and no longer worthy of being God's chosen ones. Their anguish is metaphorically viewed as weeping and gnashing.

That verse is not referring to everyone - only the Jews.

What makes you think the Hell doctrine was in the originals? The verse "Let he who is without sin throw the first stone" doesn't exist in the earliest manuscript. It was a later addition. Who says eternal torment is original?

Yes they were. But in Milton's case, he incorporated Paganism and classical mythology, as well as using the Book of Enoch (which is where the Fallen Angel story comes from). Dante strays quite far from the Biblical concept of Hell and Satan.

38-41
The field is the world,
and the good seed stands for the sons of the kingdom.
The weeds are the sons of the evil one, and the enemy who sows them is the devil.
The harvest is the end of the age and the harvesters are angels.
"As the weeds are pulled up and burned in the fire, so it will be at the end of the age.

The Son of man will send out his angels,
and they will weed out of his kingdom everything that causes sin and all who do evil.
They will throw them into the fiery furnace,
where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.

It seems that the 'weeds' are taken out and burned in the fire.

Upvote 0

christianmomof3

pursuing Christ
Apr 12, 2005
in Christ
✟25,915.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The NT is clear about the afterlife on many points.
I don't think it is at all. It is about as clear as mud and all of the concepts about heaven and hell are created from verses that are taken out of context or mistranslated like "mansions" and I don't think that the NT or the OT really give much detail about the "afterlife".

Comments like this make me want to cry. "We", used in the collective sense, have failed, if after all this time, even Chavak can't see the difference. No wonder people come in to this area wanting to know if we are really just fundamental christians. sigh...
MJism is an offshoot of fundamental/evangelical Christianity. The beliefs are virtually the same except that MJ has added on torah observance and throwing in Hebrew and Yiddush words and trying to act and look Jewish for some reason.

I basically consider myself a Reform Jew who believes in Yeshu as the messiah.
I was raised in the Reform Jewish religion.
I am now a born again Christian.
I believe that Jesus is God.

Reactions: xDenax
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Lulav

Y'shua is His Name
Aug 24, 2007
✟494,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
CMo3 I enjoy your visits to us here but since you are a 'Hebrew Christian' and obviously don't approve of MJ it might be best to keep those thoughts to yourself, at least on this forum. ;)

MJism is an offshoot of fundamental/evangelical Christianity. The beliefs are virtually the same except that MJ has added on torah observance and throwing in Hebrew and Yiddush words and trying to act and look Jewish for some reason.
You are speaking to an MJ from out of the US. I am not sure but I think that is an American phenomenon among christians as others from that area haven't even heard of John Hagee for example.

Just as there are different forms of Judaism, there are also in MJ. I agree that many are of the wannabe, church in a kippah sect gentiles that are searching for something more real than what they find at their local church, but many are not. I find those that visit and are members of the latter category to be the norm and not the exception in this forum.

As far as the Hebrew, many think it worthwhile to study Hebrew and take the opportunity to use it in the small places that they can, and this forum is one of those places.

As far as the Yiddish, for gentiles using it, you can blame David Stern for that. :)

As far as the 'trying to act and look Jewish', it is an insult to those Messianics that are Jewish.

Upvote 0

ContraMundum

Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2005
Visit site
✟78,078.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I don't think it is at all. It is about as clear as mud and all of the concepts about heaven and hell are created from verses that are taken out of context or mistranslated like "mansions" and I don't think that the NT or the OT really give much detail about the "afterlife".

As I said, it is clear "on many points". I am taking the usage of "afterlife" on this thread to mean eschatological points pertaining to death and salvation - Heaven and Hell etc.

Upvote 0

christianmomof3

pursuing Christ
Apr 12, 2005
in Christ
✟25,915.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
As far as the Yiddish, for gentiles using it, you can blame David Stern for that. :)
I checked out his bible from the library. Oy. I cannot believe that anyone would actually take it seriously. It is a truely horrid translation and why on earth did he put Yiddish into the NT? Just bizarre.

Upvote 0

Jase

Feb 20, 2003
✟10,432.00
Faith
Messianic
Politics
US-Democrat
I was raised in the Reform Jewish religion.
I am now a born again Christian.
I believe that Jesus is God.
I don't like really calling myself Christian short of the original Greek meaning (follower of the annointed one).

"Christian" has developed such a negative connotation with me.

Upvote 0

yedida

Ruth Messianic, joining Israel, Na'aseh v'nishma!
Oct 6, 2010
Elyria, OH
✟25,205.00
Faith
Marital Status
In Relationship
I don't like really calling myself Christian short of the original Greek meaning (follower of the annointed one).

"Christian" has developed such a negative connotation with me.

Me too. The term just doesn't bring a nice picture to my mind. Instead, I see murders and wars and stalkings all supposedly in the name of God. I just say I trust in God's Messiah, or I place my trust in the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

christianmomof3

pursuing Christ
Apr 12, 2005
in Christ
✟25,915.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
CMo3 I enjoy your visits to us here but since you are a 'Hebrew Christian' and obviously don't approve of MJ it might be best to keep those thoughts to yourself, at least on this forum. ;)
I am sorry if that came out sounding rude. It was not meant to be. I am just rather blunt about things I guess. And I am tired. I have been working 3 jobs and my brain gets rather fried at times.

Reactions: ChavaK
Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Pilgrim/Monastic on the Road to God (Psalm 84:1-7)
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
So based on my time on this forum, I've noticed that quite a few Messianics here share very similar views to that of Fundamentalist/Conservative Christianity. Things like Young Earth Creationism, eternal torment hell doctrine, Lucifer/Devil/Demons etc.

Are the bulk of Messianics here Gentiles who more closely align with Christianity on a theological basis?

I basically consider myself a Reform Jew who believes in Yeshu as the messiah. But I'm a theistic evolutionist and lean more towards the Jewish concept of the Afterlife over the Christian one.

Truthfully,

It often seems that the same dynamics of Judaism that may have existed with differing camps often flow into Messianic Judaism. In the first century, there were several streams of Judaism, just as there are today...from Orthodox Judaism to Reformed Judaism to Conservative Judaism others...

For the differing streams of Judaism (i.e. Conservative/Orthodox, Ultra-Orthodox, Hasidic, Reform, etc) often are the camps that many Jews grew up in....and when coming to faith in Yeshua, they took aspects of the camps they grew up in and combined it with their Messianic beliefs.

Naturally, one ends up with many differing strains/versions and interpretations of what occurs within Messianic Judaism...and all with differing thoughts on the nature of the Torah. One may often seen thoughts from a previous mindset flow into a walk with Christ, such as those saying the Torah is binding on Gentiles/Jews because of what they experienced in Orthodox Judaism. For others in the Reform camp, they see the Torah as something that's more fluid and organic. They'd probably be more in support of liberal interpretations on certain issues----and considered those with an Orthodox bent to be a bit outdated.

Reformed Judaism was unique for allowing its members freedom to follow or not follow specific customs/halakhah (i.e. legal tradition of the Talmud/other law codes) since they seek to adapt to modern times by encouraging innovation/diversity and egalitarianism. Conservative Judaism fell in-between Orthodoxy and Reform Conservative Jews, as they accept tradition but with an openess to change---and with Halakhah not "frozen" but rather dynamic, subject to modification or adjustment in order to make it more relevant to cultural concerns.....as consistent with this understanding, they understand the scriptures to be the Word of God but would also see God's revelation as an ongoing process, not confined to the Ancient Hebrew Scriptures alone.

This perspective has not gone well with many....and one can see this clearly if they research Orthodox versus Reform or Conservative... as even reform/conservative Judaism has had problems getting recognition with the Israeli government. The Orthodox Jewish camp was given control of the educational aspect of the government in many areas---and Orthodox do not recognize Reformed as a Judaism at all. The Reformed Jews were looked down upon, considered "secular", "apostates" and no better than the world. ..

As it concerns the battles between those who are Reformed and Orthodox, one has to be careful---as there are many "Reformed" (progressive) movements that speak against many of the same ills as the Orthodox Groups do....and in example, it was brought up earlier the ministry of "Tikkun Magazine", which provides commentary about Israeli politics and Jewish life in North America. They have done work with others who are Orthodox....though they have recieved much criticism since they write mainly from the political perspective of the Progressive Left---but it is one of the best around..and I highly enjoy them Renewal rabbis like TIKKUN's editor Michael Lerner is one of the main spokesmen of the movement.....and for something you can look up, one can go to "TIKKUN Magazine: The End of Judaism?" ()

For those who are Hasidic Jews or from that background, they've had an entirely differing battle to fight. Sometimes, it seems that they're simply outside of the battles with Orthodox vs Reform----as they're the mystical movement in Judaism. They're very "Torah-Centric" and traditional in their lifestyles..seeing God as one to be celebrated since He's present everywhere/seeking loving hearts to let Him in..and with their praise/worship characterized by dancing, spontaneity, joy and great intensity (folk tales abounding about the movement). For those who are Hasidic, as they're more mystically oriented/charismatic in nature, they'd lean toward things that are more "earthy"/"enviromemtally" based. They have a theological perspective that's bent more so toward Panentheism in many ways, thus taking a perspective of the Lord being seperate from creation....and yet seeing that there's an aspect of the Divine in all things.

For Hasidics, they also tend to be more connected with liturgical traditions that emphasize things being less rationalistic as it is in the West. For more on that subject, some of this was discussed before elsewhere in #33 when it came to those Messianic Jewish people coming from a Hasidic background...and gravatitating to things such as Eastern Orthodoxy, Catholocism, or Anglican.

In recent years , there has been more and more interest by some Messianic Jews in Chasidic and Mystical Jewish spirituality. While evangelical Christians do stress an initial mystical experience of becoming 'born again' there is no tradition or structure to understanding the mystical life of the soul in their approach. As a result many Evangelicals have felt that there must be something more and we have seen many moving into the Charismatic movement and its mystical experiences of the Holy Spirit. This has also lead many to look into both Catholicism and Eastern Christian Orthodoxy. Most Jews who have embraced Jesus have had a mystical experience and thus the charismatic dimension is very popular among Messianic Jews. However in all mysticism including the charismatic movements there are many pitfalls and dangers. Catholicism and Eastern Christian Orthodoxy have a very developed understanding of mysticism in its diverse manifestations as does Chasidic Judaism. Many from evangelical and fundamentalist backgrounds feel they have come to a full stop in their spiritual development within the teachings of their churches and they sense there is a deeper way.

Many Messianic Jews today have reached a point where they became spiritually dry and sense there is more to being a Jew and to life in the Mashiach than that offered by evangelicalism and pentecostalism alone. The turning to more structured and traditional liturgy is one manifestation of this. .....but some feel that they can take aspects of what they find in liturgical circles and combine that with their Messianic Jewish synagouges. Thus, for those who come into those synagouges, they may be intrigued at how much they may witness mystical aspects wtihin that specific fellowship. Many who are Messianics following Yeshua would be best considered as Hebrew Catholic or Messianic Jews supporting aspects of the Catholic Church (or Eastern Christianity and Eastern or Oriental Orthodox, for that matter). One can go here for more info---and one can also go online/investigate the resource entitled Reborn Jewish Christianity: Messianic Jews and Hebrew Catholics ..

Some who are Jewish never came at things from a background within Judaism. They simply had Jewish blood in them and grew up within Traditional camps of Christianity. For those who were Jewish and grew up in the differing camps of Christianity, they also took what they learned in their specific camps (i.e Fundamentalist, Emergent, Missional, Baptist, Charismatic, Evangelical, etc) and added that to their Jewish heritage. Thus, one may often see some of the views from certain Christian backgrounds and not be surprised they're supported. There are many Jews who support Theistic evolution and others who are vehemently against it based on what Evangelical circles say about Young Earth Creationism. There are also many who seek to be "Jewish"....but still have a mindset that's more akin to Zionism rather than Judaism itself. SOme of this was discussed more in-depth elsewhere when it came to discussing John Hagee's views with Israel in #18

Last edited:
Reactions: visionary
Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Are the bulk of Messianics here Gentiles who more closely align with Christianity on a theological basis?

I basically consider myself a Reform Jew who believes in Yeshu as the messiah. But I'm a theistic evolutionist and lean more towards the Jewish concept of the Afterlife over the Christian one.

Am I alone in that regard here? No offense intended, but I feel like I'm on the Conservative Christianity forum, not a Judaism forum. So I'm just trying to get a feel of people's views here.
There are other forums I've been to that would have a radically differing flavor than this one....and that do not come off as if its more akin to Conservative, sometimes Ultra-Conservative or Fundamentalist, Christianity. Over at CARM Forums, as seen here, there was a myriad of Messianic Jewish thought....and differing views on how to interpret the Torah.

WHere you come from may make a difference in where you land, though..

My own fellowship is one where both Messianic Jews and Messianic Gentiles come together in fellowship. I attend Congregation Mishkan David in Marietta, GA. I also attend the small group that they have on Thursday Nights. ...and have been going for the past 4 yrs. I also have friends/family in other Messianic Fellowships or organizations. Its under the leadership of Rabbi Aaron Evans, who grew up Messianic Jewish (Sephardic Jew, to be specific). He is an avid scholar in Eastern Christianity and Jewish history--and I have been greatly blessed by his ministry. He came out a background within Judaism where there was much legalism ...and for a time walked away from it before the Lord called him back to being Messianic.

One can go either here or here online/listen to the sermons that've been taught in our fellowship here. There was one point where we had what was known as "MLS 101- Messianic Lifestyle and Spirituality Class"--which is one the website. It was 5 teachings covering the basics of Messianic Jewish Lifestyle and Spirituality. And there the leaders discussed Hebraic Christian history, theology, and practice to better understand what it means to live a Biblical lifestyle influenced from the Jewish spiritual path. We learned what it means to practice Hebraic Christian prayer and spirituality from a practical and meaningful perspective

Due to the background that the Rabbi has within the field of Eastern Christian Studies and how he grew up experiencing Eastern Orthodoxy as well as Messianic Judaism, there are many things which we study alongside Jewish culture--and thus, one could say that things are a bit "ecumenical" on some fronts for us. He, as well as the congregation, does not care to be waging war against "Christianity" when much of the Modern Messianic Movement owns its existence to it. Moreover, he's not for the mindset that being Messianic only develops in one way.

For to him, being "Messianic" is something that didn't begin within the 1960's-70s's movement....nor does Jewish thought find itself quarantined within that era. He is for the mindset that Jewish thought has had a myriad of ways in which it has sought to express itself in differing cultures/eras and places. Thus, being "Messianic" is simply about being a Jewish follower who seeks Jesus. Within that train of thought, one would find themselves in the camps that other posters here are in when it comes to being Jews trusting in Yeshua....and yet, finding aspects within Christianity that go with what they think. This is something which the Rabbi I learned with shared more in-depth elsewhere. He's not much for what's often seen in Western Christianity and Evangelicalism, even though he appreciates aspects of it. He's very passionate for what occurs within the Anglican church since they seemed to be very supporative of Jewish thought....and has worked with them on many occassions.

To me, it seems that much of Messianic Judaism isn't truly about Jewish culture. For its often Gentiles who who comprise the bulk of MJism. Technically, the ONLY people who have a right to the title "Messianic Jew" are genuine ethnic Jews who have accepted the Messiah. Goyim should keep their own ethnic and religious identities since being goyim is nothing to be ashamed of (even though many MJs appear to be ashamed), just as being Jewish is nothing to be ashamed of, and being either is no reason for being prideful. Neither is better or worse than the other--just different.

Messianic Judaism has truly had a wild development as it concerns its history...and many people are often unaware of how the movement developed. Understanding how it started can give insight as to why there seems to be so many influences from Christianity within it.

For information on the history of the Messianic Jewish movement, there's the work of Asher Intrater/ Dan Juster on Messianic Judaism, Christian Identity & ministry. They are connected with something known as "Israel Mandate" . ...from the organization of IHOP (i.e. International House of Prayer) and made for the specific purpose of mobilizing intercessors in the church worldwide to help establish houses of prayer for Israel/Jewish outreach. Their goals are being accomplished by the Global Prayer Network (web based) and partnering with indigenous believers in Israel to see houses of prayer augmented---and there have been a number of MJ Fellowships joining in that mission/bearing much fruit. Many in the Jewish world have been coming to faith in radical ways/seeing that Yeshua truly is real. Within this strain of MJudaism I grew up with and loved...

Rabbi Dan Juster had very informative sermon on the issue called "The Development of the Messianic Jewish Movement - "...which I was very glad for since it was very detailed in giving description of how the movement evolved and spawned many variations/sub-cultures of Messianic Jewish culture that we see today. ...and discussing how other Messianic Jews can seek to address many of the errors that have been allowed to develop in the camp.

Concerning discussing the errors (as well as the strengths ) in Messianic Judaism and what the Law was meant for, Asher Intrater had an excellent sermon I was able to listen to, entitled "You Are My Beloved Son"...focusing on what it means to be approved by the Lord and how many within Messianic Judaism did not have true love for the Gentiles.

For more on the background behind Asher, he and his wife, Betty Intrater, are the directors of "Revive Israel Ministries"--which is an apostolic ministry team dedicated to revival in Israel, with their work in recent years including street evangelism in Tel Aviv with Simcha Davidov, assisting at Tiferet Yeshua Congregation in Tel Aviv with Ari Sorkoram, working with the Netanel House outreach in Jerusalem with Rachel Netanel, teaching discipleship classes in Hebrew, serving in the Messianic Jewish Alliance of Israel, and preaching in congregations and conferences throughout Israel. Asher is also one of the founders of "Tikkun Ministries International.org" , which is a family of Messianic Jewish congregations with ministry outreaches in Israel under the leadership of Dan Juster and Eitan Shishkoff. Having been raised in a "conservative" Jewish home in the United States, Asher came to faith in Yeshua (Jesus) by a series of supernatural experiences while traveling in Central America in 1977-78---and has been living radical for the Lord ever since.

For others that have given good dialouge on the variety of thought in Messianic Judaism, one can go here to #38 ---as within that thread, the subject of "One Law" was debated. Hope what has been offered helps in any kind of way. Shalom.:)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Jase, because some of the views posted in Messianic Judaism forum so closely mirror that of conservative Evangelicals, I've wondered if they are conservative Evangelicals, Hagee-esque groupies, not here because they're Jews, but here to show their loyalty to Jews. For example, one post I've replied to features the most hateful ripping on gentiles for persecuting Jews. I tend to see that kind of extreme hate more from the Hagee-esque than from Jews.
On what you noted in the thread discussed elsewhere, I honestly didn't get that the OP you're discussing was saying that it was only Gentiles persecuting Jews.....though I do agree with you that there did seem to be a good amount of what seemed to be Hagee-esque despising toward those who disagreed, as mentioned here. Surprising, IMHO, as other Jewish believers/people have had those same issues discussed in other places and seemed to be more level-headed in discussing the issue. There are many Israeli's--non Jewish and Jewish--who don't react whenever it comes to critique of Israel....and many Jewish people who are not for the mindset that Gentiles have less issues to deal with than Jews.
Like you, I myself tend to hold more toward Jewish concepts of the afterlife, etc

I get a bit uncomfortable with the concept of the Jewish afterlife. Not saying that I don't care to research....but I grew up with the traditional understanding of Heaven/Hell and eternal damnation for those who don't seek the Lord. With that, it can be difficult to relearn many things that you grew up with. Others in Evangelical Christianity have sought to bring the issue back to the surface....namely, in people such as Rob Bell or Gregory McDonald among others when it comes to saying that the concept of "eternal fire" was not always within Jewish thought. Many within Christian circles have said others not advocating a view of eternal fire are counter to the Jewish scripture and are Herectics. Dr. Michael Brown sought to discuss the issue more in-depth, as it concerns the subject of Universal Reconcilliation and what a Jewish perspective would be on Heaven/Hell---as seen in his ministry podcast entitled --&#8220;Ultimate Reconciliation,&#8221; Heaven, Hell, and Rob Bell: A Biblical Perspective << Line of Fire ..." ()

For more, the following are some good places to go for review on what others in Christian circles are debating...and how many are just coming into awareness of the subjects that Jewish people have been debating for centuries:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others

Am I alone in that regard here? No offense intended, but I feel like I'm on the Conservative Christianity forum, not a Judaism forum. So I'm just trying to get a feel of people's views here.

I actually started my Messianic journey as very conservative. It wasn't until I matured more, and did more research that my views shifted. I can no longer hold to such things as YEC or an inerrant Bible. The evidence against them is too overwhelming.

I tend to lean toward Old Earth Creationism--specifically Progressive Creationism---on many things, as well as toward Theistic Evolution...but I still think that there are aspects of YEC that seem very valid. Ultimately, it seems all sides of the Creationism/Evolution debate seem to have good points...and its not something that may be worth falling on one's sword for. For no one has all of the facts on how the world began...and much of it is simply our best guess, IMHO.

With the issue of debating the inerrancy of the Bible, it'd seemt hat trying to associate Messianic Judaism with Conservative Christianity would mean that perhaps many Messianics for the Bible not being inerrant would fall into the category of Emergent Christianity. For those in the Emerging/Emergent Church, as well as those in Simple/Organic church circles, hold to the views that the Bible is not flawless on all points. Just as others from a Conservative Christian background have come into Messianic Judaism and found aspects within that camp that suit what they learned previously, so it is that others from Emergent/Emerging backgrounds have taken baggae with them into the Movement....and found those camps within Messianic Judaism that agree with them.

There are other camps within Christianity that also feel that the Bible isn't "inerrant"--and I wanted to mention that so that the impression wouldn't be given that its a battle between Conservative Christians or Liberal/Emergent Christians. With Orthodoxy in CHristianity (i.e. Eastern Orthodox, Oriental Orthodox, etc), the reality is that even in those camps there's a view that the scriptures are not necessarily "inerrant"...and yet, many in those camps would be considered highly conservative on issues. If being aware of the history of how Biblical Cannons were made, it can be difficult to think that the Bible isn't inerrant. And as mentioned before, the fact that the Hebrews themselves used differing translations of the OT scriptures add to the thought that it was never a "One Size Fits" all. Mixes can occur..and some of this was discussed more in-depth elsewhere in #24 , #25 , #51 , #53 , #54 , #62 , #89 ,#90 #91 and #92.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.