Visit site
✟32,660.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Private
thirstforknowledge said:
loriersea said:
But who is this mythical "they" you keep referring to? I hope you understand that the ACLU--or any other legal organization--has never and will never asked a store to use "Happy Holidays" as opposed to "Merry Christmas." Stores are private organizations, and as such what they choose to refer to the holidays as has no bearing on church-state issues. ...
This is the third post of yours today that I wished I could rep you for....

I was just thinking the same thing! :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

forsooth

Dec 2, 2005
✟15,113.00
Faith
Seeker
applepowerpc said:
I don't think taking Christ out of Christmas is a small deal.
I'm not sure I agree with you, but I do agree with your choice in computers! ;D

December 25th is pagan holiday that was repackaged to ease the transition to christianity by associating it with Jesus birth. He most likely was not born on December 25th.

Upvote 0
A

applepowerpc

Matt. 22:37 Jesus replied: " 'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.' 38This is the first and greatest commandment.

AND

Luke 14:26"If anyone comes to me and does not hate his father and mother, his wife and children, his brothers and sisters—yes, even his own life—he cannot be my disciple.

Please. You'll celebrate your own family members' birthdays', yet forget Jesus'. You celebrate people's birthdays because you love them. And you mean to tell me that if your cousin was born on February 29th, you would only observe his birthday every 4th year because it has to be the exact day? Come on..... I'm sorry, I can't hear you, your actions are speaking too loudly.

BTW this isn't directed at non-Christians. Of course they don't love Jesus; at least they're honest about it.

Upvote 0

EarthWindFire

Nov 30, 2005
✟213.00
Faith
Catholic
applepowerpc said:
Please. You'll celebrate your own family members' birthdays', yet forget Jesus'. You celebrate people's birthdays because you love them. And you mean to tell me that if your cousin was born on February 29th, you would only observe his birthday every 4th year because it has to be the exact day? Come on..... I'm sorry, I can't hear you, your actions are speaking too loudly.

BTW this isn't directed at non-Christians. Of course they don't love Jesus; at least they're honest about it.
I don't celebrate Christmas in the way that you seem to want me to celebrate it. You want me to go to the stores? I don't. You want me to make my local government put up trees and decorations? I don't. You want me to give retailers money so I can wrap items as presents? I don't.

Can you please tell me what the following actions have to do with celebrating Jesus? Can you please tell me how I'm loving Jesus by doing the things that thread like these complain about? Can you tell me how prayer and service to God is somehow fulfilled in doing all these things?

I'm sorry, but I didn't know that getting the city to put up a Christmas tree or protesting stores that say Happy Holidays is somehow fulfilling the commandment of love God with all your heart.

I think the worst thing you can do is try to slap the face of Jesus onto all this as if it somehow legitamizes standing hours in the cold to get deals on Black Friday or fighting over that last Super Wicked Power Ninja Grip Action Figure. It seems the people over at Fox News have done a good job, make people forget the true meaning of Christmas. They've turned it into a war over commercialization. People are now complaining about how they want a holiday marketed. That's just sad.

Upvote 0

BeautyForAshes

Senior Veteran
Sep 19, 2004
Kansas
✟20,736.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Let's all BREATHE people BREATHE!!

I feel like I may have to call a code blue for some of you.
ambulance.gif

This thread is becoming to nasty..... :sigh:

Upvote 0

EarthWindFire

Nov 30, 2005
✟213.00
Faith
Catholic
BeautyForAshes said:
This thread is becoming to nasty..... :sigh:
Which is the sad part, people are gnashing their teeth over what? The marketing of the holiday season and it has nothing to do with Christmas in the first place. The lights, the trees, the presents, all of it has nothing to do with what Christmas is really about.

Upvote 0

rahma

FUNdamentalist
Jan 15, 2004
between a frozen wastelan and a wast desert
Visit site
✟16,435.00
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Happy Holidays!

Oops, have I utterly decimated the meaning of christmas? Has everyone forgotten the real reason for the season? Is it to thank God for the birth of Jesus, or for every shop in town to have "Merry Christmas" displayed?

Upvote 0

BeautyForAshes

Senior Veteran
Sep 19, 2004
Kansas
✟20,736.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
EarthWindFire said:
Which is the sad part, people are gnashing their teeth over what? The marketing of the holiday season and it has nothing to do with Christmas in the first place. The lights, the trees, the presents, all of it has nothing to do with what Christmas is really about.

I hear ya. I was -->thisclose<-- to breaking out the Xanax... ^_^ Let's all calm down.

Granted, there is nothing wrong with discussing it (afterall, that's why we're all here :) ), but let's not have a coronary over it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

EarthWindFire

Nov 30, 2005
✟213.00
Faith
Catholic
Ginny said:
Is it even possible to celebrate the death/ resurrection of Jesus without acknowledging his life on this earth?... or do you think he magically appeared around the age of 30 on a cross to die a few moments later?... or did everything He did while He was on this earth mean nothing?

Good grief, take out His birth and His life and say goodby to Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John and all the wonderful sermons/parables/ teachings He gave us.

HELLO. If He had never been born, to the Christian, their would be nothing to celebrate b/c He would have never lived... Either way, as Christians, we should celebrate the fact that we have Him in the here and now.....his existence should be recognized every living moment.

Off Topic-

In regards to a recent post, the familiar phrase "You can dish it out but you sure can't take it" comes to mind.

Cheerio. :wave:
That's fine and all, but what does marketing of commercial products have to do with this celebration?

Upvote 0

loriersea

Oct 11, 2005
Detroit, MI
Visit site
✟11,071.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
BeautyForAshes said:
And not to be rude, but isn't this an excuse we could use for just about EVERY topic in N&CE? Of course there are tons of things going on in our world today that should most definitely be addressed - probably before 3/4's of the topics we discuss on here. :doh:

That's true, but in this case it really is relevant. Saying "Happy Holidays" as opposed to "Merry Christmas" does not affect families in any way. However, the way Wal-Mart and other discount stores pay their employees and give them benefits DOES affect millions of families, and unfortunately I don't see asking all Christians to boycott these stores until they pay their workers living wages and provide them with adequate health coverage as part of the AFA's agenda. And yet, if we asked people what would help to make their family healthier, I'm guessing "economic security" would be MUCH higher on the list than "store clerks greeting me with 'Merry Christmas.'" Over and over, the AFA uses "family" as a deceptive buzz word to attack anything it sees as secular or liberal, rather than actually doing anything to make life better for families.

applepowerpc said:
I don't think taking Christ out of Christmas is a small deal.

But how does a store putting up a sign saying "Merry Christmas" put the Christ back in Christmas? And, is it the jobs of stores to put the Christ back in Christmas? Is it the job of the committee in charge of your town's holiday display? Is it the job of your child's public school? Or, is it possible that maybe if we want to celebrate Christmas as a sacred time, we should instead look to our churches and ourselves to do so? Is anyone trying to stop you or your church from celebrating Christmas with Christ as the focus?

Advent, if we want to talk about the religious aspect of Christmas, should be a time for reflection and renewel, as we prepare to celebrate Jesus' birth. I don't think that attacking stores for not using the language we want them to use to denote the holidays should play any part in that, or attacking towns for referring to lighted trees as holiday trees, or attacking schools for calling the vacation in December a winter break. None of those are calling us to reflection or repentence or renewel, just to self-righteousness and arrogance, and I certainly don't think we need any more of that.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

LittlePinky82

Nov 26, 2005
Tennessee
✟950.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Christmas again is not about Jesus. It's no where in the Bible. No where.

EarthWindFire said:

Upvote 0

Ginny

I like to whisper, too!
Feb 22, 2005
here
✟18,148.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
thirstforknowledge said:
Well yes, you should be able to celebrate his birth... even on a day that isn't really his birth.... But again, who is stopping you, or any other Christian in the USA?

No one is stopping me and I never said they were. . And yes, his existence can be celebrated at any time.... that is what prayer, fellowship, obedience, and fellowshipping with other believers is...giving glory to God. Glorifying God alone is a way of celebrating Him.

EarthWindFire said:
That's fine and all, but what does marketing of commercial products have to do with this celebration?

Heck if I know. This is about the most irritating thread I have ever seen.... :p

December 25, over time and tradition, has become the date that was chosen to RECOGNIZE his birthday by many people...is it in the Bible specifically? NO. It's not in the Bible to give communion once a week, nor are we told to go to church specifically on Wednesday or Sunday, nor should we recite prayers made by man...a whole lot of people do it, though. No one knows the exact date, but why do people KNOCK others for choosing one on their own?

This is a sad day when you have Christians (even) knocking other Christians for celebrating the birth of Jesus Christ.... even asking for scripture for why they do so. Good grief, folks. Take a Xanax or a break from this thread.

It is all about recognition. Heck, like someone suggested earlier, we recognize the birth of ol' Mom and Dad, what's wrong with doing it for Jesus? Pick you a date and celebrate, or do it every day.

hmmm.....I wish my family would recognize my birthday everyday. :scratch: What's the deal?

Upvote 0

Ginny

I like to whisper, too!
Feb 22, 2005
here
✟18,148.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
:confused:

Wha? Okaaaay.

I am not trying to pick any fight. I just don't like people quoting me and then replying about things that I have not even stated...which you have consistently done.

You don't even understand. You are quoting me and then making statements about me boycotting Wal-Mart etc etc etc and I have never even said those things.

Good-by.... I am not taking up any more room on this thread.

Just please don't insinuate and reply to me things I have not even said. Appreciate it.

:wave:

Upvote 0

BeautyForAshes

Senior Veteran
Sep 19, 2004
Kansas
✟20,736.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
loriersea said:
That's true, but in this case it really is relevant. Saying "Happy Holidays" as opposed to "Merry Christmas" does not affect families in any way. However, the way Wal-Mart and other discount stores pay their employees and give them benefits DOES affect millions of families, and unfortunately I don't see asking all Christians to boycott these stores until they pay their workers living wages and provide them with adequate health coverage as part of the AFA's agenda. And yet, if we asked people what would help to make their family healthier, I'm guessing "economic security" would be MUCH higher on the list than "store clerks greeting me with 'Merry Christmas.'" Over and over, the AFA uses "family" as a deceptive buzz word to attack anything it sees as secular or liberal, rather than actually doing anything to make life better for families.

No this really isn't relevant. As I stated earlier, over 3/4 of the topics we discuss here really in the big scheme doesn't mean much. As stated before if you're interested in knowing what else AFA does, please peruse the website. You act as if they are the ONLY organization that has ever done this. Shoot, if the requirement for any type of "call to actions" was to consider every part, side, and angle, why we would have no movements - nothing.

Take the "In God We Trust" on currency. Micheal wants it remove for reasons he believe in, yet nevermind the cost to do this (legally, physically, etc.). I guess as long as the issue is somethng that YOU believe in, its ok. All this extra "bigger picture" scheme that you're trying to run concerning the AFA doesn't apply to others (or is it as long as its in line with your thinking :scratch: ).

Like I said, your statement can apply to 3/4 of the stuff we discuss here.

But anyway, by judging by your last sentence, your "agenda" is pretty evident though. Typical..........

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.