Senior Veteran
Apr 11, 2005
✟5,083.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Surely there are more important issues in these turbulent times. The victimization whine of being a persecuted majority is completely uncalled for, and is being used to manipulate people's sensibilities. If you want to say "Merry Christmas", then say it. If you want to say, "Happy Holidays", then say it. With that said, I wish you a Merry Christmas!

Upvote 0

crazyfingers

May 17, 2002
Massachusetts
Visit site
✟18,923.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
loriersea said:
No, by my logic, you'd probably be pleased if someone wished you "Merry Christmas," even if they didn't celebrate Christmas. Why not do the same for them, and acknowledge their holiday even if you don't celebrate it?

You do acknowledge other people's birthdays, anniversaries, promotions, child's births, etc., right? I certainly hope you don't refuse to acknowledge any joyful event that doesn't happen to personally involve you. So why not acknowledge other people's holidays, too? It just seems like basic goodness and decency, to me, but that seems to be too much to ask of people (especially Christians) these days.

That's the way I see it.

If you know the person does Christmas say Merry Christmas.

If you know they do Chanukah, you don't say Merry Christmas you say happy Chanukah

If you don't know, it seems to me Happy Holidays is the best approach.

These stores that have told the employees to use Happy Holidays are simply choosing the last option because the vast majoprity of the time the employees will have no clue what holiday a specific customer does. They figure that their customers on average will be least offended by being general than by being wrong.

Upvote 0

EarthWindFire

Nov 30, 2005
✟213.00
Faith
Catholic
christalee4 said:
Surely there are more important issues in these turbulent times. The victimization whine of being a persecuted majority is completely uncalled for, and is being used to manipulate people's sensibilities. If you want to say "Merry Christmas", then say it. If you want to say, "Happy Holidays", then say it. With that said, I wish you a Merry Christmas!
I find it akin to, "I'm a white man in America and everything is stacked against me. I can't get a break out here because only women and minorities benefit from this society." :D

Upvote 0

EarthWindFire

Nov 30, 2005
✟213.00
Faith
Catholic
Ginny said:
A nice hello would be the cherry on top compared to the blank stare and "paper or plastic" inquiry.
People actually ask this question in grocery stores? I've never seen a person ask this in the grocery store. Then again, I've never seen a person ask, "Would you like fries with that?"

Upvote 0

loriersea

Oct 11, 2005
Detroit, MI
Visit site
✟11,071.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Ginny said:
why even say anything associated with the holidays?

A nice hello would be the cherry on top compared to the blank stare and "paper or plastic" inquiry.

I am grateful to get eye contact from the avg joe at the wal-mart checkout counter.

Ginny, for once I actually mostly agree with you. :eek: ;)

It is so seldom that people wish each other well in any way, it just seems incredibly nitpicky for anyone to get all up in arms about whether or not they are wished well right. If someone offers you good wishes, you should just accept them gladly, rather than getting upset because your chosen holiday wasn't acknowledged or because the wrong holiday was named.

Upvote 0

loriersea

Oct 11, 2005
Detroit, MI
Visit site
✟11,071.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
BeautyForAshes said:
I'm already a member of American Family Association where we are currently petioning retailers (successfully, I might add) to include "Christmas" as opposed to just generically calling any and all things "Holiday _____" (ex. holiday tree, holiday ornaments, holiday presents, etc.). You should join us, if interested.

Sorry for the hijack, geesh.

I don't mean this to come out as obnoxiously as I'm sure it will, but wouldn't it be more useful for the American Family Association, if it is concerned with the actual welfare of families, to use their power to petition retailers to pay their employees living wages, to make sure they have adequate time off to care for family members, and to ensure they have proper health coverage? How does referring to something as a "Christmas tree" rather than a "Holiday tree" make things better for families? I don't think families in America are falling apart under the strain of having Christmas referred to generically as a holiday. However, economic pressures are a huge strain on American families, and given how many Americans are employed by these large chain retailers, if they changed their policies and actually provided living wages, good health coverage, and a supportive atmosphere for working parents, it could make an enormous difference in the lives of millions of families.

Upvote 0

BeautyForAshes

Senior Veteran
Sep 19, 2004
Kansas
✟20,736.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
loriersea said:
I don't mean this to come out as obnoxiously as I'm sure it will, but wouldn't it be more useful for the American Family Association, if it is concerned with the actual welfare of families, to use their power to petition retailers to pay their employees living wages, to make sure they have adequate time off to care for family members, and to ensure they have proper health coverage? How does referring to something as a "Christmas tree" rather than a "Holiday tree" make things better for families? I don't think families in America are falling apart under the strain of having Christmas referred to generically as a holiday. However, economic pressures are a huge strain on American families, and given how many Americans are employed by these large chain retailers, if they changed their policies and actually provided living wages, good health coverage, and a supportive atmosphere for working parents, it could make an enormous difference in the lives of millions of families.

It's easier to just refer you to their website than to explain it all on here. AFA does actively work towards other things besides what to call the Christmas season. :)

www.afa.net

And not to be rude, but isn't this an excuse we could use for just about EVERY topic in N&CE? Of course there are tons of things going on in our world today that should most definitely be addressed - probably before 3/4's of the topics we discuss on here. :doh:

Upvote 0

LittlePinky82

Nov 26, 2005
Tennessee
✟950.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Oh yes. There are people in the republican party who aren't religious. I remember sometime a few months ago listening to this radio station (I only get to listen off and on since it comes on late where I am) where people were calling up and saying they were ex-republicans because of how the party has changed a lot now days. Now days if someone wants to be the presidential nominee he (maybe someday she) has to have the support of the fundies. Whatever happened to religion not playing a factor? That's one of the many reason's why I love being a democrat. I can have my personal faith and it not be an issue with anyone else. People could care less what faith I am apart of and we can all work together on common goals. It's sad how the republican party of Lincoln and Teddy Roosevelt no longer exists. They would probably be democrats if they were a live today (Lincoln started out center but moved to the left as he went longer into his term as president).

EarthWindFire said:
Ah the questions that have the traditional conservatives and social conservatives running into each other. I think it's little cultural battles like these that will cause the implosion of the Republican Party to continue as people leave the party for a less religious party like the Libertarians.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

LittlePinky82

Nov 26, 2005
Tennessee
✟950.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Please show me the ciation in the Bible where we are told as Christians to remember Jesus' birthday. We are only told to remember Jesus' death and ressecrection and that is during the Communion.

applepowerpc said:
Happy Christ's Birthday everybody!

Upvote 0

LittlePinky82

Nov 26, 2005
Tennessee
✟950.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Since this is the time of year for various celebrations it's only being polite. But I still find it rather funny how O'Reilly is the only person going around claiming all of this nonsense with the season and on his website where he sells stuff it says "happy holiday's". So if he's so concerned why not have "Merry Christmas" on his items? Sounds like just nonsense to me. Saying "happy holiday's" is just being polite to people. Especially if I don't know them.

Ginny said:
why even say anything associated with the holidays?

I am grateful to get eye contact from the avg joe at the wal-mart checkout counter.

Upvote 0

LittlePinky82

Nov 26, 2005
Tennessee
✟950.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Where in the Bible does it mention to celebrate Jesus' birth? Nobody has told that one yet. Please cite it if you're going to claim that Christmas is about Jesus and the Bible (specifically the New Testament) is where our "crede" is for Christianity.

applepowerpc said:
I don't think taking Christ out of Christmas is a small deal.

Upvote 0
A

applepowerpc

Please show me the ciation in the Bible where we are told as Christians to remember Jesus' birthday

Matt. 22:37 Jesus replied: " 'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.' 38This is the first and greatest commandment.

AND

Luke 14:26"If anyone comes to me and does not hate his father and mother, his wife and children, his brothers and sisters—yes, even his own life—he cannot be my disciple.

You remember your own family members' birthdays, yet not remember Christ's. You are doing the exact opposite of this commandment.

Upvote 0

LittlePinky82

Nov 26, 2005
Tennessee
✟950.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
That does not tell me to remember Jesus birthday. We do not even know when he was born do we? We are only told, instructed by Jesus himself, to remember his death and resserrection. That does not say "Remember the Lord your God with all your mind on this certain day called Christmas." Does it? No. Christmas is a pagan holiday that the Christian faith has stolen from them to make it their own. Please show me the citation in the Bible where we are told to remember Jesus' birthday. That is to remember and love him at all times. Not Christmas. Oh and I am not doing the exact opposite. Why? I do know when my family and friends were born to celebrate (and I don't even have to do that since I was not commanded to do so) and it's not important to remember. Only importance is to keep up with how old you are. But again we do not know when Jesus was born do we? Biblical schoalrs have concluded he was born more so in or around April. Not December 25th. How dare you accuse me of doing the exact opposite. As a Christian I remember Jesus always in everything I do. "WWJD" anyone? And at the appropriate time which is the Communion as instructed by Jesus himself before he died.

applepowerpc said:
Matt. 22:37 Jesus replied: " 'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.' 38This is the first and greatest commandment.

AND

Luke 14:26"If anyone comes to me and does not hate his father and mother, his wife and children, his brothers and sisters—yes, even his own life—he cannot be my disciple.

You remember your own family members' birthdays, yet not remember Christ's. You are doing the exact opposite of this commandment.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

crazyfingers

May 17, 2002
Massachusetts
Visit site
✟18,923.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
applepowerpc said:

Come again? Where does that say remember Jesus's birthday? :scratch:

Upvote 0

LittlePinky82

Nov 26, 2005
Tennessee
✟950.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I did read it but it still didn't say anything about Jesus birthday. Where did Jesus ever tell us to remember his birthday? Where in the Bible is it cited for us to remember his birth? It's no where. Yes, his birth is important to Christianity (that's a big "duh") but we are not told to remember it like many conservatives are trying to do with Christmas and their so-called "war". We are only commanded to remember his death and resserrection with Communion (Lord's Supper).

applepowerpc said:
I refer you to post #86. And this time read it.

Upvote 0

EarthWindFire

Nov 30, 2005
✟213.00
Faith
Catholic
applepowerpc said:

AND

Not celebrating Christmas doesn't mean you are doing the exact opposite of the commandment. And considering Christ's birth wasn't in December, I think the whining about Happy Holidays over Merry Christmas is overblown.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.