Thir7ySev3n

Psalm 139
Sep 13, 2009
✟58,397.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
It's hard to say what is or isn't a good book for someone until you know more about their personality/psychology. Some people respond better to different kinds of material for the Christian faith. I know some people who respond well to Christian fiction novels that contains the Christian message, some who respond to emotionally appealing but factual literature, and some who respond better to books with rational and empirical arguments for the Christian faith.

I would get her that book in addition to On Guard: Student Edition if she is an intellectually responsive type. If you do purchase this, it is important to remember that it is the Student Edition you want, as there are two editions of the book and the student version is written for non-Christians. With that combination (both Mere Christianity and On Guard: Student Edition) she should become very intrigued with Christ if she is genuinely desiring to know if He is worthy of acceptance (which we, of course, know He is).

Reactions: John Davidson
Upvote 0

John Davidson

Apr 6, 2016
United States
✟20,664.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It's hard to say what is or isn't a good book for someone until you know more about their personality/psychology. Some people respond better to different kinds of material for the Christian faith. I know some people who respond well to Christian fiction novels that contains the Christian message, some who respond to emotionally appealing but factual literature, and some who respond better to books with rational and empirical arguments for the Christian faith.

Well my sister is a college graduate so I think a book that makes a rational argument for the faith would be best.

I would get her that book in addition to On Guard: Student Edition if she is an intellectually responsive type. If you do purchase this, it is important to remember that it is the Student Edition you want, as there are two editions of the book and the student version is written for non-Christians. With that combination (both Mere Christianity and On Guard: Student Edition) she should become very intrigued with Christ if she is genuinely desiring to know if He is worthy of acceptance (which we, of course, know He is).

Alright, I was only planning on buying one book because I have pretty limited resources. I did check out the On Guard Student Edition and it did look interesting. Thank you for the suggestion.

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,865.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
How old is your sister?
is she actually interested in christianity.
That book is quite dated. It was written for a british audience in the 40s. It talks about the war! If she really wants to learn about God, can't go wrong with a real Bible. the Gospel according to John is usually the starting point.
The other way is maybe a person who she's interested in who talks about their faith and has an powerful testimony. Like nick vujicic

Upvote 0

John Davidson

Apr 6, 2016
United States
✟20,664.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
How old is your sister?
is she actually interested in christianity.
That book is quite dated. It was written for a british audience in the 40s. It talks about the war! If she really wants to learn about God, can't go wrong with a real Bible. the Gospel according to John is usually the starting point.
The other way is maybe a person who she's interested in who talks about their faith and has an powerful testimony. Like nick vujicic

My sister is 35. She already has a bible.

Upvote 0

John Davidson

Apr 6, 2016
United States
✟20,664.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Another one that I heard women like is Redeeming Love by Francine Rivers.
Actually I would recommend her if your sister already likes reading historical fiction and stories about people.

I don't really want to get her fiction. I want to give her a book that explains the Christian faith.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

seashale76

Unapologetic Iconodule
Dec 29, 2004
✟171,309.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Married
It's been many years since I've read it, but I recall it being pretty good. You wouldn't go wrong in giving it to her. However, if I had to pick a book (one that influenced C.S. Lewis even), I would pick On the Incarnation by St. Athanasius of Alexandria. Yes, it was written in the fourth century, but it is not dated. He gets to the heart of why we need Christ. It holds up to the test of time.

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,865.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
The book that explains the christian faith is the Bible. If shes got one but doesnt read it, then why would another book be a witness? Sorry. Mere christianity only witnesses to people who are actually interested.

You need to pray for you sister and tell her your testimony. You are the witness.
Francine rivers also has a personal testimony in the back of redeeming love. CS lewis does not appeal to females, I tell you many cant relate to someone whos not alive. you can email the author and ask questions in this internet age. You cannot email cs lewis.

Upvote 0

John Davidson

Apr 6, 2016
United States
✟20,664.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The book that explains the christian faith is the Bible. If shes got one but doesnt read it, then why would another book be a witness? Sorry. Mere christianity only witnesses to people who are actually interested.

I don't know that she will read the book I give her, I can only hope and pray that she will.

You need to pray for you sister and tell her your testimony. You are the witness.

I've already tried this. She isn't very open to talking about God.

My sister and I aren't very close, we don't often have deep conversations.

Francine rivers also has a personal testimony in the back of redeeming love. CS lewis does not appeal to females, I tell you many cant relate to someone whos not alive. you can email the author and ask questions in this internet age. You cannot email cs lewis.

I will check out the book Redeeming Love.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Thir7ySev3n

Psalm 139
Sep 13, 2009
✟58,397.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I don't think she is interested in it. But I'm hoping she will read it and it will witness to her.

As you continue to describe her, and the fact that you say you have limited resources, if you could only pick one book I would go with the On Guard: Student Edition. As a college graduate and someone who you say demonstrates no current interest, that cumulative and captivating case for the Christian faith should rouse some interest in her when she realizes the extensive evidence that undergirds all of the central claims of the Christian faith regarding the existence of God, the person of Jesus of Nazareth and His resurrection.

Upvote 0

grandvizier1006

Seeking a life that honors God.
Supporter
Dec 2, 2014
MS
✟663,518.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I don't know if there is a sure-fire book that a non-Christian could read to consider Christianity. I just got through reading Mere Christianity myself; I loved it, but I'm already a Christian! If your sister is considering Christianity but wants some evidence to be sure, I think any apologetics works that are respectful of skeptics would be a good choice. Mere Christianity has a good apologetics bit explaining the inherent morality in all of us, but since the book is 't exclusively apologetics and also takes time to outline Christian doctrine (and clarify what it isn't), I don't know if your sister would be sold unless it can clear up some misconceptions about Christianity.

Try finding another book to go along with it, something you know would answer some questions she might have.

Upvote 0

Thir7ySev3n

Psalm 139
Sep 13, 2009
✟58,397.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I don't know that she will read the book I give her, I can only hope and pray that she will.

I've already tried this. She isn't very open to talking about God.

My sister and I aren't very close, we don't often have deep conversations.

I will check out the book Redeeming Love.

I will just add that concerning my book recommendation, you should not be discouraged if your sister does not demonstrate interest in God immediately as I'm sure you know for any person that can change. Also, I have had far more success capturing the attention of an unbelieving person or audience when I presented the Gospel with apologetics to support it than any time I presented it in isolation. The reason for this seems obvious: When a person realizes that they are confronted with claims they can not simply dismiss that have incomparably significant impact on their lives, the message becomes immediately relevant and worthy of consideration. When they are given reasons to believe they can not deny, the message will be much more captivating than when it is presented by a person unfamiliar with those reasons who makes the Gospel appear as though it can't withstand basic scrutiny (though in actuality it can demonstrably withstand all scrutiny).

If she has questions she think can't be answered and this makes her unattracted to the Christian faith, the arguments presented in this book should be very refreshing to her. Some people obviously do have genuine intellectual difficulties and aren't spiritually beyond acceptance of God if those obstacles are removed.

Upvote 0

John Davidson

Apr 6, 2016
United States
✟20,664.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
As you continue to describe her, and the fact that you say you have limited resources, if you could only pick one book I would go with the On Guard: Student Edition. As a college graduate and someone who you say demonstrates no current interest, that cumulative and captivating case for the Christian faith should rouse some interest in her when she realizes the extensive evidence that undergirds all of the central claims of the Christian faith regarding the existence of God, the person of Jesus of Nazareth and His resurrection.

Yes, I did some research and I am leaning towards buying her the On Guard: Student Edition.

It seems to be exactly what I was looking for.

Thanks again for directing me to this!

Upvote 0

Thir7ySev3n

Psalm 139
Sep 13, 2009
✟58,397.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Yes, I did some research and I am leaning towards buying her the On Guard: Student Edition.

It seems to be exactly what I was looking for.

Thanks again for directing me to this!

My pleasure. I'll be praying for her as well. Thank you for notifying us about her need and for being a good brother.

Upvote 0