Visit site
✟23,767.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I was just looking over the recent posts about the meeting of Pope Benedict and His Holiness Ecumenical Partriarch Bartholomew I. Do you suppose it's possible that we will soon mention EP Bartholomew I in our prayers for the Holy Father and the Bishops at Mass?

I have begun privately praying for him at this point in the Mass in hopes that it will contribute to unity and bring about full communion.

BillH

Be not afraid!
Apr 3, 2005
Columbia, South Carolina, USA
✟27,958.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I was just looking over the recent posts about the meeting of Pope Benedict and His Holiness Ecumenical Partriarch Bartholomew I. Do you suppose it's possible that we will soon mention EP Bartholomew I in our prayers for the Holy Father and the Bishops at Mass?

I have begun privately praying for him at this point in the Mass in hopes that it will contribute to unity and bring about full communion.

Not terribly likely. Even IF there would be a reunion between the Catholic Church and the EO's (which I doubt will happen any time soon) it's unclear to me why he would be explicitly included in the prayers at mass unless he became your local bishop. I suppose that, should there be a reunion, he would be implicitly included as one of the "bishops throughout the world who hold and teach the Catholic faith" though.

Which is not to say that it's wrong to privately pray for him at mass, just that I don't think he'll get formally mentioned in the Eucharistic prayers.

Upvote 0

BrRichSFO

Aug 29, 2006
✟16,014.00
Faith
Catholic

No. In the Latin Rite Mass we mention our own Bishop and the Pope who is both head of Latin Rite Catholics and head of The Catholic Church. Eastern Catholics might mention their Eparch (Bishop) the Eastern Partiarch and then the Pope. His Holiness Ecumenical Partriarch Bartholomew I is not equal to His Holiness Benedict XVI as the Pope.

Upvote 0

Epiphanygirl

Don't De-Rock Me
Oct 6, 2004
Behind you :)
✟11,873.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married

We already pray for reunification, but I don't know if praying for the EP alone would happen...we'd also have to start praying for the Greek Patriarch whom we just also signed a joint declaration with;)
I will continue to say my private prayers for all the leaders...as I feel this is what has led to these meetings...the Lord hears our sincere prayers to do His will....that we may be ONE....let us not shun God's request by doing mans will...but God's!!

Upvote 0

IgnatiusOfAntioch

Contributor
May 3, 2005
Visit site
✟23,767.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
We already pray for reunification, but I don't know if praying for the EP alone would happen...we'd also have to start praying for the Greek Patriarch whom we just also signed a joint declaration with;)
I will continue to say my private prayers for all the leaders...as I feel this is what has led to these meetings...the Lord hears our sincere prayers to do His will....that we may be ONE....let us not shun God's request by doing mans will...but God's!!

Yes, I'll also add the Greek Patriarch to my prayers and for full communion between us and the Eastern Church.

Upvote 0

Sandlapper277

Dec 26, 2006
✟15,694.00
Faith
Catholic
No. In the Latin Rite Mass we mention our own Bishop and the Pope who is both head of Latin Rite Catholics and head of The Catholic Church. Eastern Catholics might mention their Eparch (Bishop) the Eastern Partiarch and then the Pope. His Holiness Ecumenical Partriarch Bartholomew I is not equal to His Holiness Benedict XVI as the Pope.
I haven't been to an Eastern liturgy in several years, but I think it went something like "Our God-loving Bishop x, our venerable archbishop and metropolitian y, and z the Pope of Rome."

Could the Patriarch be inserted? Of course he could. Should he is an entirely different story, and, in my opinion, should not be done until reunification.

Should His All-Holiness be prayed for privately? Absolutely.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.