• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Mental Illness and Marriage...does it mix?!?

rtodd5011

Member since 2012
May 5, 2012
Arkansas
Visit site
✟24,174.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I have not posted here in a while. I was diagnosed with schizophrenia in 2002. I have a ongoing issue in my marriage that is really breaking me bad. I went into the hospital last year because I thought my wife was cheating on me with another man. The voices are silent but they are there taunting me again with bad thoughts, and I don't know what to do. I also thought my first wife was screwing around on me. Now its happening again. I dont know if its fact or fiction, but I could have sworn my wife has said little prideful remarks about having a lover. I confronted her and she denied it and got onto me for not talking my meds correctly. I have been taking them regular for the last three weeks, and I am awake tonight with thoughts of leaving her in the morning. Im very paranoid that she could possibly hook up with a guy and that attempt to kill me. Oh mannnnn this is just too much. Maybe I should not be married at all.

Teslafied

Watt is love? Baby don't hertz me no more.
Apr 27, 2016
NC
✟16,091.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
We know that the bible says God detests divorce, so I don't think a divorce is warranted right now.

Have you tried speaking to those thoughts and casting them down? Take every thought captive and bring it into the obedience of Jesus Christ.

The thoughts you are having have a slight paranoia to them but to be honest they also sound demonic. I myself have schizophrenia and sometimes I know it's paranoia while other times I know it's really demons whispering to me so I cast them down. Now please take your medicine, skipping doses or stopping cold turkey can have a very negative affect in fact it can cause psychosis.

Do I believe your wife is cheating or saying snide remarks? I don't know I'm not there and I don't have esp , but I highly doubt she really is. Even if she has made mistakes pray for her, the goal of marriage is to become one and trust and love your wife like Jesus Christ loves us. How can you love your wife if you don't trust her? Trust her, you two are one, you're not separate and you have got to see that.

If she has slipped up which again I doubt she has then give her grace speak to those thoughts and tell them to leave in Jesus name, tell them that you love your wife and that you trust her and you extend to her grace the same grace Jesus Christ has given to all them that believe.

Again I have schizophrenia and sometimes I think my hubby and other individuals are out to hurt or even kill me, so I just tell myself that it's just my paranoia creeping up and that I know my husband and those people would never hurt me. I also play soft praise and worship music and calm down.

Upvote 0

Teslafied

Watt is love? Baby don't hertz me no more.
Apr 27, 2016
NC
✟16,091.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I also have had thoughts that my husband has or may cheat on me, sometimes I've flipped and accused him and even checked his phones when in reality he never did wrong it was all in my head. So I've learned that it's just my schizophrenia AND it also has a lot to do with my low self confidence / esteem.

So when you're having these thoughts please talk to your wife, tell her you love her and that you trust her and let her know that you don't mean to have these thoughts.

Upvote 0

Razare

God gave me a throne
Nov 20, 2014
✟10,847.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Im very paranoid that she could possibly hook up with a guy and that attempt to kill me. Oh mannnnn this is just too much. Maybe I should not be married at all.

It's rough being mentally ill. I was for a time when I became a Christian. I had something like the voices speaking to me. I ended up being so paranoid of voices that I'd sit there and start going catatonic to try and fight them off.

Where I was getting it wrong is I was trying to fight them.

And not trying to fight the voices seems like a very dumb idea when you're mentally ill and it is, because if you yield to them, it'll screw your life up. So you get two bad choices it seems like, fight them which drains you and for me would make me go catatonic, or you give in and be crazy and your life falls into ruin.

The solution I found that brought me out of mental illness was God's word. (I had a psychotic episode and demon possession when I came to Christ, so basically the devil's thinking was in my mind a great deal and that sort of thinking would make me crazy.)

I think this could benefit you too. I would make reading the Bible, the centerpiece of your day. It should come as a priority above your wife even. God is greater than our spouses on the list of priorities.

And when you do that, God's word will automatically begin fighting those thoughts you have. This is the 3rd option. Rather than me trying to fight them, I would fight to read God's word and focus on God, and then the mental anguish would lesson and diminish to where I could maintain myself sanely on a daily basis. I still fought and did not yield, but by focusing on scripture (God) first, it empowered me to resist those thoughts that were wrong.

What I did to get my healing was when I got home from work, I would read the bible or watch free grace-based sermons online that would edify me in Christ. I did this every day of the week, in all my spare time. No TV, no entertainment. Read scripture OR listen to sermons. After that month, since my mental illness was light I was able to stop taking my medication. I think this could work for very strong mental illness even, but I think also that might take more dedication than what I did.

When I forgot to read the Bible for a few weeks some months later, the mental illness tried to come back. Then I realized the problem and started reading again.

I have also basically given up on TV and wordily entertainment. I have found those things hurt our thinking and do not help it. If you have ever been mentally ill, I suggest not watching ungodly stuff, but only good stuff that Christ would approve of. This helps protect our mind and it's a blessing.

So that's my suggestion, more Bible reading!

And you see, what the Bible will help is that some of these thoughts you're having can be fixed by God's word. Fear that someone would spitefully use you for example, you can be free of that in God's word. While you're right, you're just having delusions about your wife, you have that delusion because you can go find news stories of wives who have done such things to their husbands. So where is the peace? If it's not that, it's something else in the world. What about a boss who thinks negatively of you?

God's word brings freedom to us, so even if you think your wife might be doing that, you would never be scared of it. And I believe if the fear of that left, so too would the delusion.

Upvote 0

Confused1966

May 11, 2016
California
✟7,614.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I am the wife of a man who has a mental illness... Ttodd5011's comments sound exactly what I have been living with for 3 years. We have been married for 9 years but dianosed only 2 years ago. Both my husband and I love the Lord but his illness has completely overtaken him-I could write a book!!
I am new on this website and am hoping to get some help/answers. I fled my house in February with our 2 young daughters because his delusions were so extreme that we weren't safe to be with him in the house anymore. He is refusing medication because he says nothing is wrong with him. ......

Upvote 0

rtodd5011

Member since 2012
May 5, 2012
Arkansas
Visit site
✟24,174.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I have not posted in a while but have not been getting any updates in my email on this thread. I am doing alot better since I posted this. I am back regular on my meds and did not leave my wife but stuck with it. I am glad I did. Thank you all for sharing. I do read the word and listen to audio bible when I can. We are taking a giant step and getting more socially involved with the church. Its scarey, but I believe it will be healing for my social anxiety.

God Bless.

Upvote 0