• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Mental Health In The Work Place

Dr Majestic

Jul 8, 2004
UK
Visit site
✟7,851.00
Faith
Christian
I thought I would post here rather than in the Workplace/Employment forum as my question relates to people that may have or know of anyone else that have Mental Health problems and yet are still able to have Full/Part time employment or attend Collage/University.

If anyone that may have any personal struggles with the mind which is indeed a full time occupation as with regard living with the condition and the daily trials and problems that come from any affliction of the mind and still manages to balance a job is a great inspiration and one that should be shared for the benefit and hope it could give to others.

I am one for believing that if you are qualified and skilled for the job then you should get it even if you do disclose any mental health problems you have. I am sure this could also work against you as most employers are not as open minded to employ someone with any history of mental ill health which is wrong and is no different from discriminating against someone because of race, religon, sexuality which there is laws against this.

I think in modern day society there is a lot of discrimination to those that have mental health problems some of the views that people have dates back to the dark ages.

If you have any success stories then please do share them.

BigToe

You are my itchy sweater.
Jun 24, 2003
Sudzo's Purple Palace of Snuggles
Visit site
✟28,432.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
I've known several who had mental health issues that also had jobs. It think it really depends on the ability of the person in question and the requirements of the job they are after. Some people may be fine in some jobs and not others. I believe it also depends on the environment in which the person was raised. Some are taught they can do what they want if they work hard enough and can and do do just that. Others are continually treated as children who cannot look after themselves let alone hold a job and then can't do so without breaking out of that mentality.

Upvote 0

soaring as eagles

May 8, 2004
N E Lincs
✟7,704.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Hi

I currently work in a christian charity dealing with the homeless & vulnerable finding them homes without the deposits etc. I struggle with depression & SI myself but this past year its been very bad.
the attitude at work has not been very helpful. I have been threatened with the sack a few times. I would have thought they would understand.

Anyway i think there are loads of people with mental health issues and keep the jobs. it depends on the ability of the person

I am still at my job, but i think its mainly because i put on a mask but collapse when i get home. If you get used to dealing with things yourself, you learn to automatically cope where other people are about or thats what my experience is. Also no one has wanted to know before or listen.

Alot of places when you disclose your health problems do not understand its like a glass ceiling.

its an encouragement when people do keep going in their jobs though

Upvote 0