MEMPHIS CITY COUNCIL VOTES TO DIG UP GRAVE OF CONFEDERATE GENERAL, SELL HIS STATUE

Johnboy60

Looking For Interesting News.
Dec 28, 2003
Tennessee
✟306,929.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
On July 7 the Memphis City Council voted unanimously to exhume the body of Confederate General Nathan Bedford Forrest from its 110 year resting place and move it to another location.
The body of Forrest’s wife will be exhumed as well.

According to Local Memphis, the council voted to exhume Forrest’s remains from Health Sciences Park on Union Avenue. They plan to sell a statue of Forrest as well–they are thinking of “selling the statue to anyone who wants it.”

http://www.breitbart.com/big-govern...grave-of-confederate-general-sell-his-statue/

NightHawkeye

Work-in-progress
Supporter
Jul 5, 2010
✟781,037.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
On July 7 the Memphis City Council voted unanimously to exhume the body of Confederate General Nathan Bedford Forrest from its 110 year resting place and move it to another location.
The body of Forrest’s wife will be exhumed as well.

According to Local Memphis, the council voted to exhume Forrest’s remains from Health Sciences Park on Union Avenue. They plan to sell a statue of Forrest as well–they are thinking of “selling the statue to anyone who wants it.”

http://www.breitbart.com/big-govern...grave-of-confederate-general-sell-his-statue/
Personally, I think it's time for the government to license witch hunts. :eek:

5e549af12596a8e

Reactions: sea oat
Upvote 0

Armoured

So is America great again yet?
Supporter
Aug 31, 2013
✟234,967.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Can't speak for the grave, but I can say that having a statue like that on public grounds is stupid and baseless, and that removing it (particularly if they can get some money for it) is probably a good thing.
*insert mandatory endless "that's racist/it's just respecting our Southern Heritage" argument here*

Upvote 0

revanneosl

Mystically signifying since 1985
Feb 25, 2007
Northern Illniois
✟39,310.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
Slow your roll everybody. Approx. 1 billion additional entities will have to vote to exhume Mr. & Mrs. Forrest before the deed is done & you can be sure that the Sons of Confederate Veterans, the United Daughters of the Confederacy and the Association for the Beautification of the Graves of the Glorious Dead will all weigh in.

The University wants the land for an expansion.

Upvote 0

dgiharris

Old Crusty Vet
Jan 9, 2013
✟131,531.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Slow your roll everybody. Approx. 1 billion additional entities will have to vote to exhume Mr. & Mrs. Forrest before the deed is done & you can be sure that the Sons of Confederate Veterans, the United Daughters of the Confederacy and the Association for the Beautification of the Graves of the Glorious Dead will all weigh in.

The University wants the land for an expansion.

that link was horrifically bad journalism. It would be nice to get all of the facts before printing a story.

If the move is just to placate anti-confederate types I would be against the move.

If the move is for University expansion... I guess that is a more legitimate reason though I would just wonder why the University couldn't just expand around the grave.

The Confederacy and Civil War is part of this nation's history. I think it's good to have reminders of it. Graves and statues shouldn't be tampered with without a damn good reason and I say this as a black man.

Upvote 0

Mediaeval

baptizatus sum
Sep 24, 2012
✟29,873.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
"Ladies and Gentlemen--I accept the flowers as a memento of reconciliation between the white and colored races of the southern states….I came here with the jeers of some white people, who think that I am doing wrong. I believe I can exert some influence, and do much to assist the people in strengthening fraternal relations, and shall do all in my power to elevate every man--to depress none. (Applause.) When I can serve you I will do so. We have but one flag, one country, let us stand together."
Nathan Bedford Forrest, July 5, 1875 (quoted from Nathan Bedford Forrest, A Biography by Jack Hurst)

Upvote 0

brewmama

Senior Veteran
Dec 14, 2002
Colorado
Visit site
✟27,718.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Nathan Bedford Forrest founded the Klu Klux Klan. Time for him to be moved to the local landfill.

How 'bout we expunge all of the Robert Byrd (Democrat and exalted cyclops of the Ku Klux Klan) named memorializations all over West Virginia?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Aryeh Jay

Gone and hopefully forgotten.
Supporter
Jul 19, 2012
MI - Michigan
✟498,114.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
George Washington rebelled against his lawful Nation and sovereign ruler that was appointed by God. Thomas Jefferson owned slaves and had sex with them. Benjamin Franklin was a serial adulterer. Andrew Jackson displaced millions. Custer waged war against unarmed women and children. Irish Catholics have blown up protestant Englishmen doing their Christmas shopping at Harrods. The Jews even killed Jesus. Everyone has done some unspeakable evil, dig ‘em all up and dump them on the trash heap.

Upvote 0

Mediaeval

baptizatus sum
Sep 24, 2012
✟29,873.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Nathan Bedford Forrest founded the Klu Klux Klan. Time for him to be moved to the local landfill.

According to his biography, Forrest later "took a strong and highly controversial stand against the Klan itself." After a notorious incident in West Tennessee in which masked men took 16 blacks out of a jail and presumably killed them all, Forrest was quoted as saying that if he "were entrusted with proper authority he would capture and exterminate the white marauders who disgrace their race by this cowardly murder of negroes." His biographer wrote, "The reality is that over the length of his lifetime Nathan Bedford Forrest's racial attitudes probably developed more, and more in the direction of liberal enlightenment, than those of most other Americans in the nation's history."

Upvote 0

TerranceL

Sarcasm is kind of an art isn't it?
Jul 3, 2009
✟105,808.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian

Unsurprisingly, this isn't true.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nathan_Bedford_Forrest#Ku_Klux_Klan_membership

Forrest was an early member of the Ku Klux Klan (KKK). Historian and Forrest biographer Brian Steel Wills writes, "While there is no doubt that Forrest joined the Klan, there is some question as to whether he actually was the Grand Wizard of the Ku Klux Klan."[50] The KKK (the Klan) was formed by veterans of the Confederate Army in Pulaski, Tennessee in 1866 and soon expanded throughout the state and beyond. Forrest became involved sometime in late 1866 or early 1867. A common report is that Forrest arrived in Nashville in April 1867 while the Klan was meeting at the Maxwell House Hotel, probably at the encouragement of a state Klan leader, former Confederate general George Gordon. The organization had grown to the point where an experienced commander was needed, and Forrest fit the bill. In Room 10 of the Maxwell, Forrest was sworn in as a member.[51]
In July 1875, Forrest demonstrated that his personal sentiments on the issue of race now differed from that of the Klan, when he was invited to give a speech before an organization of black Southerners advocating racial reconciliation, called the Independent Order of Pole-Bearers Association. At this, his last public appearance, he made what the New York Times described as a "friendly speech"[10] during which, when offered a bouquet of flowers by a black woman, he accepted them as a token of reconciliation between the races and espoused a radical agenda (for the time) of equality and harmony between black and white Americans.[57] His speech was as follows:

"Ladies and Gentlemen I accept the flowers as a memento of reconciliation between the white and colored races of the southern states. I accept it more particularly as it comes from a colored lady, for if there is any one on God's earth who loves the ladies I believe it is myself. ( Immense applause and laughter.) This day is a day that is proud to me, having occupied the position that I did for the past twelve years, and been misunderstood by your race. This is the first opportunity I have had during that time to say that I am your friend. I am here a representative of the southern people, one more slandered and maligned than any man in the nation.
I will say to you and to the colored race that men who bore arms and followed the flag of the Confederacy are, with very few exceptions, your friends. I have an opportunity of saying what I have always felt – that I am your friend, for my interests are your interests, and your interests are my interests. We were born on the same soil, breathe the same air, and live in the same land. Why, then, can we not live as brothers? I will say that when the war broke out I felt it my duty to stand by my people. When the time came I did the best I could, and I don't believe I flickered. I came here with the jeers of some white people, who think that I am doing wrong. I believe that I can exert some influence, and do much to assist the people in strengthening fraternal relations, and shall do all in my power to bring about peace. It has always been my motto to elevate every man- to depress none. (Applause.) I want to elevate you to take positions in law offices, in stores, on farms, and wherever you are capable of going.
I have not said anything about politics today. I don't propose to say anything about politics. You have a right to elect whom you please; vote for the man you think best, and I think, when that is done, that you and I are freemen. Do as you consider right and honest in electing men for office. I did not come here to make you a long speech, although invited to do so by you. I am not much of a speaker, and my business prevented me from preparing myself. I came to meet you as friends, and welcome you to the white people. I want you to come nearer to us. When I can serve you I will do so. We have but one flag, one country; let us stand together. We may differ in color, but not in sentiment. Use your best judgement in selecting men for office and vote as you think right.
Many things have been said about me which are wrong, and which white and black persons here, who stood by me through the war, can contradict. I have been in the heat of battle when colored men, asked me to protect them. I have placed myself between them and the bullets of my men, and told them they should be kept unharmed. Go to work, be industrious, live honestly and act truly, and when you are oppressed I'll come to your relief. I thank you, ladies and gentlemen, for this opportunity you have afforded me to be with you, and to assure you that I am with you in heart and in hand." (Prolonged applause.):
I see why you dislike him.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums