Meditation

nebulaJP

Jul 15, 2011
✟16,163.00
Faith
Taoist
Marital Status
Single
Christians, what do you think about meditation? Is it a good thing or is it something evil that is to be avoided?

By "meditation" I specifically mean what would fall into either the "concentration" or "awareness" categories in which the goal is to stop all mental chatter and get into an altered state of consciousness to gain insight [Edit:...or...the Centering Prayer, never mind the rest of the post]. (I don't mean prayer, contemplation of scripture, or any ecstatic experience that may come from worship.)

For example: trying to concentrate on one thing like your breath, the flame of a candle or a dot on the wall to the exclusion of everything else.

Last edited:

ephraimanesti

Senior Veteran
Nov 22, 2005
Seattle, WA
✟23,171.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Christians, what do you think about meditation? Is it a good thing or is it something evil that is to be avoided?

By "meditation" I specifically mean what would fall into either the "concentration" or "awareness" categories in which the goal is to stop all mental chatter and get into an altered state of consciousness to gain insight. (I don't mean prayer, contemplation of scripture, or any ecstatic experience that may come from worship.)

For example: trying to concentrate on one thing like your breath, the flame of a candle or a dot on the wall to the exclusion of everything else.
MY FRIEND,

What you describe is a total waste of precious time which could be much much much better spent communing with God than scrutinizing one's navel.

:bow:ABBA'S FOOL,
ephraim

Upvote 0

DCJazz

Doctor Coffee
Dec 15, 2010
Idaho, USA
✟8,425.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
...Tbh meditation is something I used to do. As a result I'm still struggling daily with what it lead to. I won't be saying what it is as that's personal.

So like I said before, I believe it's dangerous to open yourself to outside influences like that, both natural and supernatural.

Upvote 0

talitha

Cultivate Honduras
Nov 5, 2004
Tegucigalpa, Honduras
Visit site
✟22,601.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
I'm agreeing somewhat with DCJazz. Meditation does open what could be called the psychic door - meaning the door to the spiritual realm - and more often than not, the influences that come in are ungodly. For a Christian that would be inviting unnecessary battles into one's own life.

Upvote 0

DCJazz

Doctor Coffee
Dec 15, 2010
Idaho, USA
✟8,425.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I'm agreeing somewhat with DCJazz. Meditation does open what could be called the psychic door - meaning the door to the spiritual realm - and more often than not, the influences that come in are ungodly. For a Christian that would be inviting unnecessary battles into one's own life.

Psychic door? No. Influence from ungodly sources, yes.

Upvote 0

FutureAndAHope

Just me
Site Supporter
Aug 30, 2008
Australia
Visit site
✟735,652.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi,

The problem with meditation is not so much what it is, but what is associated with it. Pick up any book about mediation and you can be pretty sure it has something in it about Eastern religion, or mystersism. I discourage people seeking to mediate not because the idea is inherently evil but rather a lot of the teachings about it are.

As for picking up an evil spirit by mediation alone, I don't think it would happen. Evil spirits have a voice and what to influence by voice. Quieting yourself will not possess you. Again it comes down to the fact that if as a Christian you went around saying how good meditation was, some one else may pick up a book supporting enlightenment or something similar and be exposed to evil. In my opinion a Christians peace should come via prayer. Demons cause a lack of peace and can only be defeated by steadfast resistance in prayer. A demon might give a person temporary peace during meditation but only for the purpose of exposing them to Eastern Religious experiences.

Upvote 0

nebulaJP

Jul 15, 2011
✟16,163.00
Faith
Taoist
Marital Status
Single
This article says meditation may reduce stress. Shouldn't at least stressed Christians or those with high blood pressure do meditation? It would seem so from 1 Corinthians 6:19-20:

New International Version (NIV)

19 Do you not know that your bodies are temples of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; 20 you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your bodies.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others

By "meditation" I specifically mean what would fall into either the "concentration" or "awareness" categories in which the goal is to stop all mental chatter and get into an altered state of consciousness to gain insight. (I don't mean prayer, contemplation of scripture, or any ecstatic experience that may come from worship.)

Not in a way to get an "altered state of consciousness", but yes, for example the Hesychast tradition of Orthodoxy and the contemplative tradition of the Western Church both present Christian forms of meditation. These aren't about an altered state, however, and may not fit your definition.

As far as being "evil", I don't see Eastern (that is, in the dharmic traditions) meditation as evil. Though I don't see it as having any place in Christianity. Christian meditation is traditionally about theoria, the Vision of God.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

nebulaJP

Jul 15, 2011
✟16,163.00
Faith
Taoist
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

DCJazz

Doctor Coffee
Dec 15, 2010
Idaho, USA
✟8,425.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Hi,

The problem with meditation is not so much what it is, but what is associated with it. Pick up any book about mediation and you can be pretty sure it has something in it about Eastern religion, or mystersism. I discourage people seeking to mediate not because the idea is inherently evil but rather a lot of the teachings about it are.

As for picking up an evil spirit by mediation alone, I don't think it would happen. Evil spirits have a voice and what to influence by voice. Quieting yourself will not possess you. Again it comes down to the fact that if as a Christian you went around saying how good meditation was, some one else may pick up a book supporting enlightenment or something similar and be exposed to evil. In my opinion a Christians peace should come via prayer. Demons cause a lack of peace and can only be defeated by steadfast resistance in prayer. A demon might give a person temporary peace during meditation but only for the purpose of exposing them to Eastern Religious experiences.

I never said anything about possession. Influence and possession aren't the same thing.

Upvote 0

Lukaris

Orthodox Christian
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
✟754,677.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums