Jisun

May 2, 2016
Seoul, South Korea
✟15,253.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Helloooo!! My friend told me about this forum and I wanted to come and check you guys out! My name is Jisun and I'm 25. I was born in Seoul, South Korea, but grew up in Hong Kong and then went to college in Baltimore, Maryland! (small school, not many people know about it.) I majored in Creative Writing and minored in Spanish. I love learning languages! So far, I know and speak three pretty well (English, Korean, Spanish) and know a handful of French, Mandarin, and German.

I'm mostly a fiction prose writer, but I do dabble in writing poetry as well. At the moment, I'm working on a paranormal/supernatural short story idea.

I'm a huge fan of going with the flow, and seeing the beauty in everything and everyone; one of my favorite quotes: "The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or touched; they must be felt with the heart." - Helen Keller.

I love Disney movies, and any other animated movies-- I'm really a child at heart. I'm a huge Harry Potter fan, my favorite color is pink, and I love listening to music. More often than not, I am listening to music. My favorite genres of music are rap, hip-hop/R&B, pop, indie. and folk/bluegrass, but really, I will listen to anything. As you can see, my music tastes vary quite a lot. and of course, I love listening to music in different languages as well.

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Helloooo!! My friend told me about this forum and I wanted to come and check you guys out! My name is Jisun and I'm 25. I was born in Seoul, South Korea, but grew up in Hong Kong and then went to college in Baltimore, Maryland! (small school, not many people know about it.) I majored in Creative Writing and minored in Spanish. I love learning languages! So far, I know and speak three pretty well (English, Korean, Spanish) and know a handful of French, Mandarin, and German.

I'm mostly a fiction prose writer, but I do dabble in writing poetry as well. At the moment, I'm working on a paranormal/supernatural short story idea.

I'm a huge fan of going with the flow, and seeing the beauty in everything and everyone; one of my favorite quotes: "The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or touched; they must be felt with the heart." - Helen Keller.

I love Disney movies, and any other animated movies-- I'm really a child at heart. I'm a huge Harry Potter fan, my favorite color is pink, and I love listening to music. More often than not, I am listening to music. My favorite genres of music are rap, hip-hop/R&B, pop, indie. and folk/bluegrass, but really, I will listen to anything. As you can see, my music tastes vary quite a lot. and of course, I love listening to music in different languages as well.
Hi; good to see you; God bless His Word to you.

PS: A good way to learn languages is to read editions of the Bible in different languages particularly at familiar passages.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Yes! I've got the English-to-Korean Bible, NIV, ESV, and the Spanish Bible on my phone! Thanks!
When you look for example at a passage such as John chapter 1, where the language is clear and simple, it is surprising how easily you learn to follow the structure of the language you are learning, right?

So do you read the Chinese characters that occur in Korean as well as the Hankul?

Upvote 0

Jisun

May 2, 2016
Seoul, South Korea
✟15,253.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
When you look for example at a passage such as John chapter 1, where the language is clear and simple, it is surprising how easily you learn to follow the structure of the language you are learning, right?

So do you read the Chinese characters that occur in Korean as well as the Hankul?

Yep. And no, I don't know hanja but I do know some Chinese characters.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Jisun

May 2, 2016
Seoul, South Korea
✟15,253.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I find the Hangul characters quite simple, really, compared with Chinese characters.

Yep. It's an alphabet, actually, so like in English, you can mix and match different consonants and vowels to make a word, whereas in Chinese, one character is one word.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Yep. It's an alphabet, actually, so like in English, you can mix and match different consonants and vowels to make a word, whereas in Chinese, one character is one word.
It seems like Hangul is a really great heritage for Koreans; and it looks very elegant also on the page. It's syllabic and phonetic, right?

Upvote 0

Jisun

May 2, 2016
Seoul, South Korea
✟15,253.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It seems like Hangul is a really great heritage for Koreans; and it looks very elegant also on the page. It's syllabic and phonetic, right?

Yep it's phonetic. That's what I meant by it being an alphabet, sorry. It's phonetic... what do you mean by a great heritage for Koreans?

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Yep it's phonetic. That's what I meant by it being an alphabet, sorry. It's phonetic... what do you mean by a great heritage for Koreans?
I mean it's an indigenous cultural feature of Korea; the script did not emerge someplace else.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Jisun

May 2, 2016
Seoul, South Korea
✟15,253.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Some ppl - especially Westerners - find the politeness inflections in Korean very difficult to learn, particularly because they link to aspects of Korean culture which are not widely understood by foreigners.
haha yeah. even I have a hard time with the different ways to address people in Korean. Korea's all about giving respect to people older than yourself, so you have to speak with them in a certain way. Otherwise, you would look super rude. for example, talking to someone 30 years older than yourself in the very casual/intimate way you would with a close friend ro someone younger than you is incredibly rude.

Personally, I just prefer people talk to me in bahnmal which is the casual/informal/intimate way of speaking, and I would prefer using bahnmal with my friends (but if they object, of course I would adjust my speaking pattern with them.

having grown up in a somewhat Westernized country, I can understand how that can be hard. It's hard even for me (but then, I'm not fluent in Korean anyway)

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
haha yeah. even I have a hard time with the different ways to address people in Korean. Korea's all about giving respect to people older than yourself, so you have to speak with them in a certain way. Otherwise, you would look super rude. for example, talking to someone 30 years older than yourself in the very casual/intimate way you would with a close friend ro someone younger than you is incredibly rude.

Personally, I just prefer people talk to me in bahnmal which is the casual/informal/intimate way of speaking, and I would prefer using bahnmal with my friends (but if they object, of course I would adjust my speaking pattern with them.

having grown up in a somewhat Westernized country, I can understand how that can be hard. It's hard even for me (but then, I'm not fluent in Korean anyway)
Interesting; so Bahnmal is more informal, but I guess that there are even Bahnmal-specific inflections, right?

Upvote 0