usa
✟90,748.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Mat 13:8 αλλα δε επεσεν επι την γην την καλην και εδιδου καρπον ο μεν εκατον ο δε εξηκοντα ο δε τριακοντα

Mat 13:8 And more fell upon the good earth and he gave fruit; this one an hundred; and this one, sixty; and this one thirty.

Upvote 0

Timothew

Conditionalist
Aug 24, 2009
✟21,514.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Matthew 13:9

Ὁ ἔχων ὦτα ἀκουέτω. WH
He who has ears, let him hear. ESV

Ὁ ἔχων ὦτα ἀκούειν ἀκουέτω. Byzantine
He who has ears to hear, let him hear! NKJV

Upvote 0

he-man

he-man
Oct 28, 2010
usa
✟90,748.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Matthew 13:9

Ὁ ἔχων ὦτα ἀκουέτω. WH
He who has ears, let him hear. ESV

Ὁ ἔχων ὦτα ἀκούειν ἀκουέτω. Byzantine
He who has ears to hear, let him hear! NKJV
Matthew 13:9 (GreekNTTischendorf) Ὁ ἔχων ὦτα ἀκουέτω
Who has ears hear!

Upvote 0

Timothew

Conditionalist
Aug 24, 2009
✟21,514.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Matthew 13:9 (GreekNTTischendorf) Ὁ ἔχων ὦτα ἀκουέτω
Who has ears hear!
It's good to see you here.
I think I might come back to this, although I won't be offering my own translations.

Upvote 0

Timothew

Conditionalist
Aug 24, 2009
✟21,514.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Matthew 13:10
Καὶ προσελθόντες οἱ μαθηταὶ εἶπαν αὐτῷ Διὰ τί ἐν παραβολαῖς λαλεῖς αὐτοῖς;

Then the disciples came and said to him, “Why do you speak to them in parables?” (ESV)

Upvote 0

he-man

he-man
Oct 28, 2010
usa
✟90,748.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Matthew 13:10
Καὶ προσελθόντες οἱ μαθηταὶ εἶπαν αὐτῷ Διὰ τί ἐν παραβολαῖς λαλεῖς αὐτοῖς;

Then the disciples came and said to him, “Why do you speak to them in parables?” (ESV)
και προσελθοντες οι μαθηται ειπα αυτω δια τι εν παραβολαις λαλεις αυτοις
10 And those disciples came near to him and said: Why speak to them as with parables?

Upvote 0

Timothew

Conditionalist
Aug 24, 2009
✟21,514.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
και προσελθοντες οι μαθηται ειπα αυτω δια τι εν παραβολαις λαλεις αυτοις
10 And those disciples came near to him and said: Why speak to them as with parables?

Interesting...

dia ti en parabolais leleis autois?

for what reason (okay...why)
in parables
you speak to
them

No comment, just...
Interesting.

Upvote 0

he-man

he-man
Oct 28, 2010
usa
✟90,748.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Mat 13:11 ο δε αποκριθεις ειπεν αυτοις οτι υμιν δεδοται γνωναι τα μυστηρια της βασιλειας των ουρανων εκεινοις δε ου δεδοται

Mat 13:11
And answering he said to them, "Because you have been given the knowledge of the [FONT=Arial, sans-serif][FONT=Tahoma, sans-serif]enigma [/FONT][/FONT]of the kingdom of heaven, but it has not been given to those."

Upvote 0

Timothew

Conditionalist
Aug 24, 2009
✟21,514.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Mat 13:11ο δε αποκριθεις ειπεν αυτοις οτι υμιν δεδοται γνωναι τα μυστηρια της βασιλειας των ουρανων εκεινοις δε ου δεδοται

Mat 13:11
And answering he said to them,"Because you have been given the knowledge of the [FONT=Arial, sans-serif][FONT=Tahoma, sans-serif]enigma [/FONT][/FONT]of the kingdom of heaven, but it has not been given to those."
Cool. μυστηρια = musteria or mysteria - mysteries
:thumbsup:
μυστήριον, μυστηρίου, τό (μύστης (one initiated; from μυέω, which see)), in classical Greek a hidden thing, secret, mystery: μυστήριον σου μή κατειπης τῷ φιλῶ, Menander; plural generally mysteries, religious secrets, confided only to the initiated and not to be communicated by them to ordinary mortals; (cf. K. F. Hermann, Gottesdienstl. Alterthümer der Griechen, § 32). In the Scriptures:

Upvote 0

he-man

he-man
Oct 28, 2010
usa
✟90,748.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Cool. μυστηρια = musteria or mysteria - mysteries
:thumbsup:
μυστήριον, μυστηρίου, τό (μύστης (one initiated; from μυέω, which see)), in classical Greek a hidden thing, secret, mystery: μυστήριον σου μή κατειπης τῷ φιλῶ, Menander; plural generally mysteries, religious secrets, confided only to the initiated and not to be communicated by them to ordinary mortals; (cf. K. F. Hermann, Gottesdienstl. Alterthümer der Griechen, § 32). In the Scriptures:
:thumbsup: metaph., the military sacramentum The solemn oath taken by the conscript on his enrolment. It bound the soldier to the state and his superiors and rendered accursed anyone who broke it.
Sacramentum - The Encyclopedia of Ancient History - Phang - Wiley Online Library

Interesting that to be a soldier of Christ the oath of allegience changes your life from that of a worldly citizen into a citizen of the Kingdom by the grace of God and to carry out His commands, whatever they might be, perhaps as a reaper for the harvest?

Psa 60:4
Thou hast given a banner to them that fear thee, that it may be displayed because of the truth. Selah.

Psa 13:2 Lift ye up a banner upon the high mountain, exalt the voice unto them, shake the hand, that they may go into the gates of the nobles.

3 I have commanded my sanctified ones, I have also called my mighty ones for mine anger, even them that rejoice in my highness.

4 The noise of a multitude in the mountains, like as of a great people; a tumultuous noise of the kingdoms of nations gathered together: the LORD of hosts mustereth the host of the battle.

Howl ye; for the day of the LORD is at hand; it shall come as a destruction from the Almighty.

To perform their transformation from Roman citizens into Roman soldiers, the selected men would then have to swear an oath of allegiance.
This swearing of the sacramentum, changed the status of the man entirely. He was now utterly subject to his general's authority, and had thereby laid down any restraints of his former civilian life. His actions would be by the will of the general. He would bear no responsibility for the actions he would commit for the general. If he was ordered to do so, he would kill anything in sight, be it an animal, a barbarian, or even a Roman.
There was more than mere practicality behind the change from the white toga of the citizen to the blood red tunic of the legionary. The symbolism was such that the blood of the vanquished would not stain him. He was now no longer a citizen whose conscience would not allow for murder. Now he was a soldier. The legionary could only be released from the sacramentum by two things; death or demobilization. Without the sacramentum, however, the Roman could not be a soldier. It was unthinkable.
Becoming a Soldier

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

he-man

he-man
Oct 28, 2010
usa
✟90,748.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
:thumbsup: metaph., the military sacramentum The solemn oath taken by the conscript on his enrolment. It bound the soldier to the state and his superiors and rendered accursed anyone who broke it.
Sacramentum - The Encyclopedia of Ancient History - Phang - Wiley Online Library

Interesting that to be a soldier of Christ the oath of allegience changes your life from that of a worldly citizen into a citizen of the Kingdom by the grace of God and to carry out His commands, whatever they might be, perhaps as a reaper for the harvest?

Psa 60:4
Thou hast given a banner to them that fear thee, that it may be displayed because of the truth. Selah.

Psa 13:2 Lift ye up a banner upon the high mountain, exalt the voice unto them, shake the hand, that they may go into the gates of the nobles.

3 I have commanded my sanctified ones, I have also called my mighty ones for mine anger, even them that rejoice in my highness.

4 The noise of a multitude in the mountains, like as of a great people; a tumultuous noise of the kingdoms of nations gathered together: the LORD of hosts mustereth the host of the battle.

Howl ye; for the day of the LORD is at hand; it shall come as a destruction from the Almighty.

To perform their transformation from Roman citizens into Roman soldiers, the selected men would then have to swear an oath of allegiance.
This swearing of the sacramentum, changed the status of the man entirely. He was now utterly subject to his general's authority, and had thereby laid down any restraints of his former civilian life. His actions would be by the will of the general. He would bear no responsibility for the actions he would commit for the general. If he was ordered to do so, he would kill anything in sight, be it an animal, a barbarian, or even a Roman.
There was more than mere practicality behind the change from the white toga of the citizen to the blood red tunic of the legionary. The symbolism was such that the blood of the vanquished would not stain him. He was now no longer a citizen whose conscience would not allow for murder. Now he was a soldier. The legionary could only be released from the sacramentum by two things; death or demobilization. Without the sacramentum, however, the Roman could not be a soldier. It was unthinkable.
Becoming a Soldier
2Ti 2:3 Thou therefore endure hardness, as a good soldier of Jesus Christ.

No man that warreth entangleth himself with the affairs of this life; that he may please him who hath chosen him to be a soldier.

Upvote 0