Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Matthew 11:18

ηλθεν γαρ ιωαννης μητε εσθιων μητε πινων και λεγουσιν δαιμονιον εχει

came for John and-not eating and-not drinking and they-said daimon he-has

Because John came and he didn't eat or drink, they said "he has a daimon."
Mat 11:18 ηλθεν γαρ ιωαννης μητε εσθιων μητε πινων και λεγουσιν δαιμονιον εχει

Mat 11:18 For John neither did eat nor came imbibing, and they said, He has a fiend.

Upvote 0

Timothew

Conditionalist
Aug 24, 2009
✟21,514.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Mat 11:18 ηλθεν γαρ ιωαννης μητε εσθιων μητε πινων και λεγουσιν δαιμονιον εχει

Mat 11:18 For John neither did eat nor came imbibing, and they said, He has a fiend.
:thumbsup:

I still don't know how to translate daimonion, so I'm still leaving it basically intranslated. I nearly wrote "they said he has a false god", but I went for the untranslated daimon instead. What can I say? I'm a coward.

Upvote 0

he-man

he-man
Oct 28, 2010
usa
✟90,748.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
:thumbsup:

I still don't know how to translate daimonion, so I'm still leaving it basically intranslated. I nearly wrote "they said he has a false god", but I went for the untranslated daimon instead. What can I say? I'm a coward.
No, you are cautious!

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif][FONT=Tahoma, sans-serif]δαίμονα δαίμονας fiend, troublemaker, demon, mischievous person, cruel, wicked, and inhuman person compare [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif][FONT=Tahoma, sans-serif][/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif][FONT=Tahoma, sans-serif]G4567 [FONT=Arial, sans-serif][FONT=Tahoma, sans-serif]σατανα σατανάς cruel wicked and inhuman person, fiend, tempter, demon[/FONT][/FONT]
&
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif][FONT=Tahoma, sans-serif]G1228[FONT=Tahoma, sans-serif] διάβολος διαβαλλων διαβολέας 'slanderer' 'accuser', diabolical (adj.) Slanderous, hurtful, or corrupting. One who slanders, hurts, and corrupts (casting or sowing throughout)[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[/FONT]

Upvote 0

Timothew

Conditionalist
Aug 24, 2009
✟21,514.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
No, you are cautious!
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif][FONT=Tahoma, sans-serif][/FONT][/FONT]
Thanks!

Today, I started a thread like this one on the Book of Revelation. It should be a lot of fun, since I was already accused of mistranslating the Book of Revelation before I even started translating it. Whoo-hoo! :clap:

Upvote 0

Timothew

Conditionalist
Aug 24, 2009
✟21,514.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Matthew 11:19

ηλθεν ο υιος του ανθρωπου εσθιων και πινων και λεγουσιν ιδου ανθρωπος φαγος και οινοποτης τελωνων φιλος και αμαρτωλων και εδικαιωθη η σοφια απο των τεκνων αυτης

came the son the man eating and drinking and they-say look man drunkard and wine-drinker tax-men friend and sinners and justified the wisdom from the children her

The Son of Man came eating and drinking and they said "Look at the drunk man, a wino, friend of taxmen and sinners" and "Wisdom is justified by how her children act".

Upvote 0

he-man

he-man
Oct 28, 2010
usa
✟90,748.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Matthew 11:19

ηλθεν ο υιος του ανθρωπου εσθιων και πινων και λεγουσιν ιδου ανθρωπος φαγος και οινοποτης τελωνων φιλος και αμαρτωλων και εδικαιωθη η σοφια απο των τεκνων αυτης

came the son the man eating and drinking and they-say look man drunkard and wine-drinker tax-men friend and sinners and justified the wisdom from the children her

The Son of Man came eating and drinking and they said "Look at the drunk man, a wino, friend of taxmen and sinners" and "Wisdom is justified by how her children act".
Mat 11:19 ηλθεν ο υιος του ανθρωπου εσθιων και πινων και λεγουσιν ιδου ανθρωπος φαγος και οινοποτης τελωνων φιλος και αμαρτωλων και εδικαιωθη η σοφια απο των εργων αυτης

Mat 11:19 The Son of man came eating and drinking, and they say, Lo, a man, a glutton, and wine drinker, a companion of custom-officers and sinners. But wisdom is justified by the works of it.

Upvote 0

Timothew

Conditionalist
Aug 24, 2009
✟21,514.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I wonder why some manuscripts have ergon and some have teknon?

Is the final statement something the pharisees are saying about Jesus, much like my wife says "If you drink a beer you will hurt your witness to non-believers" or is this something Jesus said about the Pharisees, that their works show no evidence of wisdom?

Upvote 0

Timothew

Conditionalist
Aug 24, 2009
✟21,514.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Matthew 11:20

τοτε ηρξατο ονειδιζειν τας πολεις εν αις εγενοντο αι πλεισται δυναμεις αυτου οτι ου μετενοησαν

Then he-began insulting all-of-the cities in which happened the many miracles his that not they-repented

Then he began to denounce all of the cities where he performed the most miracles because they had not repented.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

he-man

he-man
Oct 28, 2010
usa
✟90,748.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Matthew 11:20

τοτε ηρξατο ονειδιζειν τας πολεις εν αις εγενοντο αι πλεισται δυναμεις αυτου οτι ου μετενοησαν

Then he-began insulting all-of-the cities in which happened the many miracles his that not they-repented

Then he began to denounce all of the cities where he performed the most miracles because they had not repented.
Mat 11:20 τοτε ηρξατο ονειδιζειν τας πολεις εν αις εγενοντο αι πλεισται δυναμεις αυτου οτι ου μετενοησαν

Mat 11:20 Then he began to censure severely those towns in which much of his Holy power took place, because they had no regret for having done wrong.

Upvote 0

he-man

he-man
Oct 28, 2010
usa
✟90,748.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I wonder why some manuscripts have ergon and some have teknon?

Is the final statement something the pharisees are saying about Jesus, much like my wife says "If you drink a beer you will hurt your witness to non-believers" or is this something Jesus said about the Pharisees, that their works show no evidence of wisdom?
yep, their works show no evidence of wisdom, kind of a pun "wisdom is justified by it's works" in other words he was saying that had no common sense!

Reactions: Timothew
Upvote 0

Timothew

Conditionalist
Aug 24, 2009
✟21,514.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Matthew 11:21

ουαι σοι χοραζιν ουαι σοι βηθσαιδα οτι ει εν τυρω και σιδωνι εγενοντο αι δυναμεις αι γενομεναι εν υμιν παλαι αν εν σακκω και σποδω μετενοησαν

woe you Chorazin woe you Bethsaida that if in Tyre and Sidon happened the miracles the happened in you in-times-past would in sackcloth and ash repent

Woe to you Chorazin and Bethsaida! If the miracles that happened in you had happened in times past in Tyre and Sidon, they would have repented in sackcloth and ash.

Upvote 0

he-man

he-man
Oct 28, 2010
usa
✟90,748.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Matthew 11:21

ουαι σοι χοραζιν ουαι σοι βηθσαιδα οτι ει εν τυρω και σιδωνι εγενοντο αι δυναμεις αι γενομεναι εν υμιν παλαι αν εν σακκω και σποδω μετενοησαν

woe you Chorazin woe you Bethsaida that if in Tyre and Sidon happened the miracles the happened in you in-times-past would in sackcloth and ash repent

Woe to you Chorazin and Bethsaida! If the miracles that happened in you had happened in times past in Tyre and Sidon, they would have repented in sackcloth and ash.
Mat 11:21 ουαι σοι χοραζιν ουαι σοι βηθσαιδα οτι ει εν τυρω και σιδωνι εγενοντο αι δυναμεις αι γενομεναι εν υμιν παλαι αν εν σακκω και σποδω μετενοησαν

Mat 11:21 Woe unto thee, Chorazin! woe unto thee, Bethsaida! for if the mighty works, those being done in you, had been done in Tyre and Sidon, in sackcloth and ashes they would have reformed long ago.

Upvote 0

Timothew

Conditionalist
Aug 24, 2009
✟21,514.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Matthew 11:22

πλην λεγω υμιν τυρω και σιδωνι ανεκτοτερον εσται εν ημερα κρισεως η υμιν

but I-tell you Tyre and Sidon more-tolerable are in day judgment than you

But I tell you that Tyre and Sidon will be more tolerable in the day of judgment than you.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

he-man

he-man
Oct 28, 2010
usa
✟90,748.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Matthew 11:22

πλην λεγω υμιν τυρω και σιδωνι ανεκτοτερον εσται εν ημερα κρισεως η υμιν

but I-tell you Tyre and Sidon more-tolerable are in day judgment than you

But I tell you that Tyre and Sidon will be more tolerable in the day of judgment than you.
Mat 11:22 πλην λεγω υμιν τυρω και σιδωνι ανεκτοτερον εσται εν ημερα κρισεως η υμιν

Mat 11:22 But I say to you, It shall be more tolerable for Tyre and Sidon, in the day of judgment, than for you.

Upvote 0

Timothew

Conditionalist
Aug 24, 2009
✟21,514.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Matthew 11:23
The Byzantine and UBS4 are different on this verse by one word.

και συ καπερναουμ η εως του ουρανου υψωθεισα εως αδου καταβιβασθηση οτι ει εν σοδομοις εγενοντο αι δυναμεις αι γενομεναι εν σοι εμειναν αν μεχρι της σημερον

and you Capernaum which to heaven is-exalted to hades brought down that if in Sodom happened the miracles which happened in you remain would until the today

And Capernaum, You who are exalted to heaven! You will be brought down to Hades because if the miracles which have occured in you had happened in Sodom, it would have remained until today.

Upvote 0

he-man

he-man
Oct 28, 2010
usa
✟90,748.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Matthew 11:23
The Byzantine and UBS4 are different on this verse by one word.

και συ καπερναουμ η εως του ουρανου υψωθεισα εως αδου καταβιβασθηση οτι ει εν σοδομοις εγενοντο αι δυναμεις αι γενομεναι εν σοι εμειναν αν μεχρι της σημερον

and you Capernaum which to heaven is-exalted to hades brought down that if in Sodom happened the miracles which happened in you remain would until the today

And Capernaum, You who are not exalted to heaven! You will be brought down to Hades because if the miracles which have occured in you had happened in Sodom, it would have remained until today.
Mat 11:23 και συ καφαρναουμ μη εως ουρανου υψωθηση εως αδου καταβηση οτι ει εν σοδομοις εγενηθησαν αι δυναμεις αι γενομεναι εν σοι εμεινεν αν μεχρι της σημερον

Mat 11:23 And you, Capernaum, which are not exalted up to heaven, up to the time which to be descended to the grave: for if the mighty works, which have been done in you, had been done in Sodom, it would have remained until this day.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

he-man

he-man
Oct 28, 2010
usa
✟90,748.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Should that be "And you Capernaum who are not exalted up to heaven"?
My bad Mat 11:23 And you, Capernaum, which are not exalted up to heaven, up to the time which to be descended to the grave: for if the mighty works, which have been done in you, had been done in Sodom, it would have remained until this day.

Upvote 0