Veteran
May 14, 2006
New York
✟212,454.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
So based on the Orthodox viewpoint- if masturbation is done in the context of leading towards making love between a husband and wife, is it still considered to be wrong? For example, say the spouse is doing that for / to the other, leading up to the ending of making love together. I'm definitely not saying using inappropriate contentography or even doing it individually thinking of the spouse

The canons of St John the Faster touches on these issues. Certain canons depend on interpetation. For example canon 2 of John the Faster says this:

"An assault of sensual pleasure against the heart through mentation is to be regarded as a sin not yet committed and not subject to the least penance."

In regards to masturbation he lists numerous canons. Two of those canons are not neccesarily about masturbation but something about; for those who have 'been polluted in body'. Basically seminal emission, different penance if it occurs while sleeping or awake.

Canon 8 is about masturbation where he recommends a 40 day penance of fasting.

Canon 9 is somewhat close to your question. It speaks of double masturbation, but its only applicable to when men do it to each other.

Canon 10 is the penance recommended for clergy.

Canon 11:

11. But as for women, too, if any of them has allowed herself to be kissed and felt by man, without, however, being ravished by him, let her receive the penance provided for masturbation.

The above canon is for single women. So no specific canon about married people. Interestingly by stating, "let her recieve the penance provided for masturbation" it seems all the canons for masturbation are geared towards men only.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,465,414.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I'm curious, does that mean it must be confessed before one would receive the Eucharist? (IN the EO Church)

yes it must be, in obedience to the rule given you by your spiritual father.

Upvote 0
Aug 27, 2012
United States of America
✟41,078.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
this is something that needs to be taken and frankly kept between you and your spiritual father.

We can make general statements about what specific activity is a sin, but we have different stuggles and different sins impact us in different ways.

Upvote 0

Wryetui

IC XC NIKA
Dec 15, 2014
The Carpathian Garden
✟15,670.00
Country
Romania
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
And I am sure that God understands us seeing our age, our efforts on the struggle, our temptations, where do we live, the intensity in which we fight and many other things, I don't think God is a legalist tirant which sends you to Hell because you didn't obey X rule and did X thing with no possibility of escape.

Upvote 0
Aug 27, 2012
United States of America
✟41,078.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I totally agree with you Wryetui. This is a hard one especially for guys, and teenaged guys too.

If you struggle to stop and repent, but fail, but keep struggling, that's a different place to be than to sin and not even try to repent and stop.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,465,414.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
And I am sure that God understands us seeing our age, our efforts on the struggle, our temptations, where do we live, the intensity in which we fight and many other things, I don't think God is a legalist tirant which sends you to Hell because you didn't obey X rule and did X thing with no possibility of escape.

yep, He sure does. He was a teenager too once, and while He was always obedient to His Father (even as a teen), He certainly understands even though He never waffled.

Upvote 0

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟241,918.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
yes it must be, in obedience to the rule given you by your spiritual father.

So....would masturbation have a greater consequence than, say, cursing? If I understand correctly?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

rusmeister

A Russified American Orthodox Chestertonian
Dec 9, 2005
Eastern Europe
Visit site
✟435,270.00
Country
Montenegro
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
So....would masturbation have a greater consequence than, say, cursing? If I understand correctly?

It can. Both are destructive to the soul, whether you realize it or not. When you DO realize it, you can begin repenting.

Upvote 0
Aug 27, 2012
United States of America
✟41,078.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Intention is very often where the problem lies. For example, you can have sex with a prostitute in the exact same way you would with your wife, but one is a sin the other is not. Sometimes its not only the action alone but the intent behind it that is problematic.

Upvote 0

All4Christ

✙ The Handmaid of God Laura ✙
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,021,060.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Wryetui said:
But what about "cursing" and dirty talkin when you are with your friends and you have jokes that way, only meant to be funny? I think the problem stays in the intention which you say the word with...

I still think it is a better idea to not do this, whether or not it is technically ok to do this. Why make crass jokes at the expense of others, whether it is just joking or not (even if it isn't directly at a person)? I know the type of joking you mean...I've been around it and keep my mouth shut, but I still don't think it is the best thing to do. Just my 2 cents.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,465,414.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
But what about "cursing" and dirty talkin when you are with your friends and you have jokes that way, only meant to be funny? I think the problem stays in the intention which you say the word with...

sure, but if it's a joke or a word that you would not say to your priest or grandmother, that does say something about the intention

Upvote 0

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟241,918.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
Intention is very often where the problem lies. For example, you can have sex with a prostitute in the exact same way you would with your wife, but one is a sin the other is not. Sometimes its not only the action alone but the intent behind it that is problematic.

Wouldn't a man objectifying his wife be considered sinful? (He no longer sees her or respects her as a human being, but an object)

Upvote 0