United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Neverstop said:
The "de fact" father has also been charged.

Yes, I know. My comment was to another poster who thought the biological mother was the one charged.

Neverstop said:
I could post other news sources to show Fox's obvious bias, but that should be enough. :)

The story wasn't edited. It should be noted.. that the original comment was in reference to the article in the OP. Not the article in your quote. Here's the exact same article on Yahoo.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060117/ap_on_re_us/life_support_struggle;_ylt=Au8DL4JHJXw4NFpRnkpgRbis0NUE;_ylu=X3oDMTA3MjBwMWtkBHNlYwM3MTg

I honestly don't see much difference in the articles you posted and the one I posted.

Upvote 0

k

reset
Aug 29, 2004
✟23,943.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
Petunia said:
Yes, I know. My comment was to another poster who thought the biological mother was the one charged.

Oops! Sorry.:sorry:

The story wasn't edited. And the original comment was in reference to the article in the OP. Not the article in your quote. Here's the exact same article on Yahoo.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060117/ap_on_re_us/life_support_struggle;_ylt=Au8DL4JHJXw4NFpRnkpgRbis0NUE;_ylu=X3oDMTA3MjBwMWtkBHNlYwM3MTg

I honestly don't see much difference in the articles you posted and the one I posted.

Thank you, now we may see precisely how FN spun it to make MA look bad:

From Yahoo:

"The state Department of Social Services has custody of the girl and wants to remove her from life support, citing opinions from her doctors that the girl is in a permanent vegetative state."

From Fox:

"Thinking that she was in an irreversible vegetative condition, the state had gone to court to seek permission to remove her from life support."

1. CLEARLY it was edited

2. It may seem like a subtle change, but the overall affect of reading the story from FN is this..."Oh, well the child care agency just thought she was in..." Whereas the Yahoo story says they were "citing opinions from her doctors."

3. The way the sentence in the FN story starts off with "Thinking..." makes it sound PAST tense.

Upvote 0

Petunia

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 9, 2004
✟211,267.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Neverstop said:

From Yahoo:

"The state Department of Social Services has custody of the girl and wants to remove her from life support, citing opinions from her doctors that the girl is in a permanent vegetative state."

From Fox:

"Thinking that she was in an irreversible vegetative condition, the state had gone to court to seek permission to remove her from life support."

1. CLEARLY it was edited

2. It may seem like a subtle change, but the overall affect of reading the story from FN is this..."Oh, well the child care agency just thought she was in..." Whereas the Yahoo story says they were "citing opinions from her doctors."

3. The way the sentence in the FN story starts off with "Thinking..." makes it sound PAST tense.

You should be comparing the article in the first post.. with the Yahoo article. The comments you're protesting are exactly the same. The second article I posted the next day from fox is a different article.. informing that the child is now responding to medical stimuli.

Reactions: k
Upvote 0

k

reset
Aug 29, 2004
✟23,943.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
Petunia said:
You should be comparing the article in the first post.. with the Yahoo article. The comments you're protesting are exactly the same. The second article I posted the next day from fox is a different article.. informing that the child is now responding to medical stimuli.

DOH!!!! lol...sometimes I REALLY know how to embarrass myself!:wave:

Thank you for the correction on this!

Upvote 0

Petunia

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 9, 2004
✟211,267.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Neverstop said:
DOH!!!! lol...sometimes I REALLY know how to embarrass myself!:wave:

Thank you for the correction on this!

Well..you made me take a closer look at the two articles.. and they aren't exactly the same. At least.. I don't think they are.. my eyes are playing tricks on me by now. :o

Down towards the middle of the articles.. there is a difference between the two. But I'm not sure who did the editing. Whether it was Fox or Yahoo. At any rate, I don't think it makes much difference in context.

So don't feel bad, I'm embarrassed right along with you. ^_^

Upvote 0

k

reset
Aug 29, 2004
✟23,943.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
Petunia said:
Well..you made me take a closer look at the two articles.. and they aren't exactly the same. At least.. I don't think they are.. my eyes are playing tricks on me by now. :o

Down towards the middle of the articles.. there is a difference between the two. But I'm not sure who did the editing. Whether it was Fox or Yahoo. At any rate, I don't think it makes much difference in context.

So don't feel bad, I'm embarrassed right along with you. ^_^

Oh no! A Republican and Libertarian both admitting fault and getting along!:D What is this world coming to???

Thanks for your honesty as well and God Bless.

Upvote 0

MachZer0

Caught Between Barack and a Hard Place
Mar 9, 2005
✟86,609.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Neverstop said:

From Yahoo:

From Fox:

1. CLEARLY it was edited

That's odd, when I read the Fox story, it said,

"The state Department of Social Services has custody of the girl and wants to remove her from life support, citing opinions from her doctors that the girl is in a permanent vegetative state"

Looks like exactly the same as in the Yahoo version. How about that!!!

Upvote 0

MachZer0

Mar 9, 2005
✟86,609.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Neverstop said:
The STORY is by the AP, but the article can be edited by news sources. Here is a PERFECT example of how FN does NOT do Fair and Balanced reporting....

From the CNN story...

"State officials had asked that Haleigh Poutre's ventilator and feeding tube be withdrawn after doctors said she was in a vegetative state with no hope of recovery."
http://www.cnn.com/2006/LAW/01/17/life.support.ap/

From MSNBC....

"If she dies, he could face a murder charge for taking part in the beating that left her comatose."
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10891898/

I could post other news sources to show Fox's obvious bias, but that should be enough. :)
And from the Fox News link

"The girl's stepfather, Jason Strickland, asked the Supreme Judicial Court last month to block the state from taking her off life support, arguing that he was the girl's "de facto" parent. He is already charged in her beating and if she dies, could face a murder charge."

Upvote 0

katautumn

Prodigal Daughter
May 14, 2015
Atlanta, GA
✟24,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I hate this story. A poor little girl, let down by the child welfare system, and the man accused of beating her wants to keep her alive. This is a huge double duh! If he really cared about this little girl's wellbeing, he wouldn't have beaten her in the first place. He's merely trying to prevent the inevitable - being charged with murder - by keeping her alive as long as possible. As much as I hate to say it, if this child is going to be like Terri Schiavo forever, it would be best to remove the feeding tube and let her pass in peace. She doesn't deserve to be exploited as another "right to life" poster child, like Terri Schiavo. I hope the courts and the doctors will make the best choice in this heartbreaking situation.

Upvote 0

MachZer0

Mar 9, 2005
✟86,609.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Neverstop said:

From Yahoo:

From Fox:

1. CLEARLY it was edited

And here is the original AP story as it appeared in the Boston Herald:

Please pay special attention to the following quote from that original AP story:

"Thinking that she was in a permanent vegetative condition, the state went to court to seek permission to remove her from life support".

The only difference in those statements is that AP said the state went and Fox said the state had gone.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Petunia

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 9, 2004
✟211,267.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

Petunia

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 9, 2004
✟211,267.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
MachZer0 said:
Yes, and the good name of FoxNews has been restored
Neverstop has admitted to mistakenly comparing the wrong articles. So what you've done is redundant. The matter has been settled. End of story.

So let's return this thread back to topic.

Upvote 0

Harpuia

Oldie... very very oldie...
Nov 9, 2004
Undisclosed
✟27,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Others
The girl's in PVS. Those that relate this case to Terri Schiavo don't see how different the cases are. From what I hear, this girl isn't responsive AT ALL. No groans, no moans, no "IIIIIIIIIIIIII", so unlike Schiavo case I do agree with the court in withdrawing life support. If she's in PVS, REALLY in PVS, she's already dead. There's nothing you can do.

Now, about the murder charge...

Upvote 0

Petunia

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 9, 2004
✟211,267.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Osel said:
Where's the outrage?

Schiavo ends up a tomato by her own fault, and it's hands across America.

This poor kid was whomped into a coma by a baseball bat and hardly a peep?
You were probably about 11 or 12 years old when the Schiavo case first started. There wasn't a huge outrage at first..and her parents managed to save her life the first couple of times.

As far as this child goes, it's not quite the same situation. There was a custody battle. But the stepfather didn't have a chance of winning a say in her medical treatment or outcome.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Harpuia

Oldie... very very oldie...
Nov 9, 2004
Undisclosed
✟27,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Others
Petunia said:
You were probably about 11 or 12 years old when the Schiavo case first started. There wasn't a huge outrage at first..and her parents managed to save her life the first couple of times.

As far as this child goes, it's not quite the same situation. There was a custody battle. But the stepfather didn't have a chance of winning a say in her medical treatment or outcome.

Also as I said, there is no question, and no reasonable doubt that the girl is in PVS. Whereas Terri Schiavo you at least had some questionable doubt upon her groans and "reflexes". This girl from what I hear has nothing.

Oh, and also there was talk about Schiavo might be being abused by her husband... 15 years ago... which would explain why there was nothing there when the coroner checked her because think about it, 15 years you'd expect any kind of "scar" to heal. So what I'm saying is the girl's is an easy open-and-shut case. Terri's wasn't.

Upvote 0

k

reset
Aug 29, 2004
✟23,943.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
MachZer0 said:
That's odd, when I read the Fox story, it said,

"The state Department of Social Services has custody of the girl and wants to remove her from life support, citing opinions from her doctors that the girl is in a permanent vegetative state"

Looks like exactly the same as in the Yahoo version. How about that!!!

I already admitted I was wrong in comparing two diff FN articles. However, after thinking about it, it doesn't make sense that FN would drop off the "citing opinions from her doctors" part. Say, if others like myself, only read the 2nd, and not the first, it would give the impression that DSS was only "thinking" her condition was irrersivble. In any case, it's not that important.

What IS important is the little girl appears to be getting better. Let's ALL pray she may be healed in the name of Christ.:amen:

Upvote 0

k

reset
Aug 29, 2004
✟23,943.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
Fri. afternoon a talk show host (Michael Savage) took the opportunity of this little girl's tragedy to lambaste Dems and Libs. It is appalling to exploit the HELL this girl has gone through, and is still going through, to further one's political agenda.

What we need to do is realize our society's ills are not limited to Dems and Reps, but effect ALL people...and while the elite of both sides squabble as to who is right, more children like this suffer.

When will we find the humility to cooperate?

Upvote 0

MachZer0

Mar 9, 2005
✟86,609.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Neverstop said:
I already admitted I was wrong in comparing two diff FN articles. However, after thinking about it, it doesn't make sense that FN would drop off the "citing opinions from her doctors" part. Say, if others like myself, only read the 2nd, and not the first, it would give the impression that DSS was only "thinking" her condition was irrersivble. In any case, it's not that important.
What really doesn't make sense is to blame FoxNews for something that appeared in a story originally released by AP. Seems like the complaint should be against AP, not Fox. But then, where's the fun in that?

What IS important is the little girl appears to be getting better. Let's ALL pray she may be healed in the name of Christ.:amen:
I've been a foster parent to an abused child with brain stem damage caused by "shaking syndrome", and it ain't pretty. Some said he was a vegetable. As a matter of fact, most people said that, but he still had his own personality.

Upvote 0