Nov 26, 2007
✟82,874.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
They will probably just ask Obama who he wants most.

Glendon's Letter to Notre Dame President

University's "Example Could Have an Unfortunate Ripple Effect"

CAMBRIDGE, Massachusetts, APRIL 27, 2009 (Zenit.org).- Here is the text of the letter Mary Ann Glendon, the Learned Hand Professor of Law at Harvard Law School and former U.S. ambassador to the Holy See, sent today to the president of Notre Dame, Father John Jenkins, in which she declines the university's offer to give her the Laetare Medal at this year's commencement.

Dear Father Jenkins,

When you informed me in December 2008 that I had been selected to receive Notre Dame’s Laetare Medal, I was profoundly moved. I treasure the memory of receiving an honorary degree from Notre Dame in 1996, and I have always felt honored that the commencement speech I gave that year was included in the anthology of Notre Dame’s most memorable commencement speeches. So I immediately began working on an acceptance speech that I hoped would be worthy of the occasion, of the honor of the medal, and of your students and faculty.

Last month, when you called to tell me that the commencement speech was to be given by President Obama, I mentioned to you that I would have to rewrite my speech. Over the ensuing weeks, the task that once seemed so delightful has been complicated by a number of factors.

First, as a longtime consultant to the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops, I could not help but be dismayed by the news that Notre Dame also planned to award the president an honorary degree. This, as you must know, was in disregard of the U.S. bishops’ express request of 2004 that Catholic institutions “should not honor those who act in defiance of our fundamental moral principles” and that such persons “should not be given awards, honors or platforms which would suggest support for their actions.” That request, which in no way seeks to control or interfere with an institution’s freedom to invite and engage in serious debate with whomever it wishes, seems to me so reasonable that I am at a loss to understand why a Catholic university should disrespect it.

Then I learned that “talking points” issued by Notre Dame in response to widespread criticism of its decision included two statements implying that my acceptance speech would somehow balance the event:

• “President Obama won’t be doing all the talking. Mary Ann Glendon, the former U.S. ambassador to the Vatican, will be speaking as the recipient of the Laetare Medal.”

• “We think having the president come to Notre Dame, see our graduates, meet our leaders, and hear a talk from Mary Ann Glendon is a good thing for the president and for the causes we care about.”

A commencement, however, is supposed to be a joyous day for the graduates and their families. It is not the right place, nor is a brief acceptance speech the right vehicle, for engagement with the very serious problems raised by Notre Dame’s decision -- in disregard of the settled position of the U.S. bishops -- to honor a prominent and uncompromising opponent of the Church’s position on issues involving fundamental principles of justice.

Finally, with recent news reports that other Catholic schools are similarly choosing to disregard the bishops’ guidelines, I am concerned that Notre Dame’s example could have an unfortunate ripple effect.

It is with great sadness, therefore, that I have concluded that I cannot accept the Laetare Medal or participate in the May 17 graduation ceremony.

In order to avoid the inevitable speculation about the reasons for my decision, I will release this letter to the press, but I do not plan to make any further comment on the matter at this time.

Yours Very Truly,

Mary Ann Glendon

Upvote 0

JoabAnias

Steward of proportionality- I Cor 13:1, 1 Tim 3:15
Supporter
Nov 26, 2007
✟82,874.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I am available. ;).

^_^ aiight.

She says clearly why she is doing it. They are disrespecting the Bishops which is causing scandal and casting a cloud on what is supposed to be a joyous time for the students.

"This, as you must know, was in disregard of the U.S. bishops’ express request of 2004 that Catholic institutions 'should not honor those who act in defiance of our fundamental moral principles' and that such persons 'should not be given awards, honors or platforms which would suggest support for their actions.'"

They have also used her as a consolation for the scandal and I don't blame her one bit for wanting no part of that.

Stop being a negligible Catholic and come into the practicing Church. ;)

Upvote 0

Fish and Bread

Dona nobis pacem
Jan 31, 2005
✟60,685.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
She says clearly why she is doing it. They are disrespecting the Bishops which is causing scandal and casting a cloud on what is supposed to be a joyous time for the students.

Notre Dame has also invited President Bush to speak at their university in years past, and his policies were opposite the Church on torture, just war, capital punishment, health care, and the government's responsibility to the poor, amongst other issues.

I don't really mind the idea of a Catholic University having a policy on speakers not being able to speak if they are in opposition to Catholic principles, as long as it's applied consistently. Inviting President Bush to speak and then not inviting President Obama wouldn't have been consistent. Notre Dame deserves credit for playing it down the middle and being non-partisan on this one, by inviting both Presidents, each of whom is in accord with Catholic teaching on some things and not others.

The other thing they could have down was to invite neither Bush or Obama, but for some reason no one complained when they invited Bush. Why did they get a free pass for inviting a Republican from many of these pressure groups? It seems like like these organizations involved in protesting the current President's attendence have a double standard -- Republicans who are against Catholic teaching speaking aren't worth complaining about, but Democrats are in their view.

Upvote 0

Michie

Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,586,217.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Catholic writer and art historian Elizabeth Lev is Mary Ann Glendon’s daughter.

In a post at PoliticsDaily.com, Lev, who lives in Rome and is a regular contributor to Zenit news service, discusses her mother’s decision to refuse to accept Notre Dame’s Laetare medal.

Lev explains that Glendon’s action, undertaken because of Notre Dame’s honoring of pro-abortion President Barack Obama, must be considered in the context of Glendon’s proven commitment to defending the human rights of all vulnerable people, born and unborn.

And, Lev said, in light of that commitment it’s silly to dismiss her mother’s principled action as merely a gesture by someone who cares only about the pro-life cause.

Continued- http://www.ncregister.com/daily/glendons_daughter_comments/

Upvote 0

JoabAnias

Supporter
Nov 26, 2007
✟82,874.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I may be wrong but I believe you will find that the Bishops made their request in 2004 specifically because of the 2001 Notre Dame Commencement speech by then President Bush.

:thumbsup: Good for them. ;)

Upvote 0

JoabAnias

Supporter
Nov 26, 2007
✟82,874.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

BAFRIEND

Feb 16, 2007
✟23,362.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Refreshing to see a highly respected lay woman do the right thing in the media isn't it?

What a woman. :clap:

My simple wish is that she had gone to Notre Dame to accept, and then declined it on stage and explained why to a shocked audience- this way the award could not be extended to anyone else- the way things are going, it would not shock or amaze me if Notre Dame handed the award to the national president of Planned Parenthood.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SolomonVII

Sep 4, 2003
Vancouver
✟147,506.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
The damage has already been done anyways. Father Jenkins has already sent a clear message that pro-abortons are not only to be tolerated but to be admired and honored.

It doesn't really matter who fills this secondary position. The damage is done.

Upvote 0

WarriorAngel

I close my eyes and see you smile
Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
United States Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟428,786.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I am available. ;)

One thing worth looking at here is who Miss Glendon was appointed by and which administration she represented as an Ambassador.

For those not sure of the answer to that question, here is a hint:

300px-Ma_glendon.jpg

It is possible that this is being done purely out of religious conviction, but it is also possible that there is an element of partisanship in play here. I wouldn't overlook the latter as being an element of this. If this story were reported more as "Bush appointee upset that Obama is being honored", I doubt it would be viewed as being that noteworthy or significant.
You realise this makes Bush look better towards Catholicism. :holy:

A Notre Dame alumni coalition verified that donors have pledged to withhold $8.2 million from the university in protest of the school's decision to honor President Barack Obama.

:thumbsup: [Thanks Michie for that report]
MORE power to them.

And kudos to Glendon.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JoabAnias

Supporter
Nov 26, 2007
✟82,874.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The damage has already been done anyways. Father Jenkins has already sent a clear message that pro-abortons are not only to be tolerated but to be admired and honored.

It doesn't really matter who fills this secondary position. The damage is done.

Maybe not, if, The word "Catholic" is stripped from the institution.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.