Discussion Martial arts has no place in a holy Spirit filled life..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alithis

Disciple of Jesus .
Nov 11, 2010
Mobile
✟101,992.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
My nephew-in-law is a kick boxer and I think that if the Lord told him to stop, he would.
But I was thinking of Chuck Norris, who is a Christian. I certainly haven't heard anything about him that would make me believe that he isn't.

Many people use marital arts that don't equate it to any religion or particular philosophy. To many it is a sport and good exercise. To me it would be superstition to think that by using marital arts one is in collaboration with satan. It's not like using meditation with yoga, which I do believe could be dangerous.
the first part of your post in regard to your nephew - hits the nail on the head with the sentence ..."that if the Lord told him to stop, he would."..because it is about love for the lord Jesus above all else and obedience proves that love is the real deal . the moment he begins to listen acknowledge the lord to this end , he will also begin to hear what they lord is saying . many people don't acknowledge the lord in certain things because they fear what he will say and don't want to answer they think is coming .. they assume to much . but often he has already been speaking to them and they have not been listening and they know if they acknowledge him in any areas then they will also have to listen and obey ..or remain i rebellion. and they don't sincerely want to be in rebellion .so they would rather not hear . but then ouch , they risk being called 'not his sheep"
because he himself says 'my sheep HEAR my voice (it takes our will to submit and listen) and I know them and they Follow me . " - as opposed to carry on doing what is right in their own eyes .

the other part of the post ,=re chuck Norris, is sadly waffle . don't be offended by my cut and dry approach , it's just i'v already covered the point ,
(A)first that we cannot point at another and say what they do makes what i do ok , god does not judge on the merits of another mans actions . but on his word alone for his word is life .(ie we cant say well that guy over there is an amazing Christian and hes been married 4 times so its ok to divorce and remarry ... .. it doesn't work that way)

and- (B) iv not seen heard or read ANYTHING that would make me think he 'is' a christian. he may be a nominal part time church attendee ,i have no way to know ,but that does not make a person a disciple of the lord Jesus .so its a circular argument -unverifiable except by him coming online and testifying to it himself

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Alithis

Disciple of Jesus .
Nov 11, 2010
Mobile
✟101,992.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
How do you know this definitively, have you met any of us? Have you heard any of the hundreds of testimonies of faith? Have you been with us when these tender people committed their lives to Jesus Christ? Where are you when they were forgiven and set free?

Where you someplace close?

Tell me, can a bad tree produce good fruit? If not, then this is certainly not a bad tree.

If you think you are spiritual enough to judge people whom you have never met, spoke with that I just might not be the one needing repentance my brother.
interesting reply and approach .,. -to reply on behalf of non present 'others " ..are you attempting to solicit support and bully me-into silence ?i'm wondering what the motive is in a reply that focuses on "using the term .."us " when you are only one person .
when you disciple these folks ,do you get them saved then take then down to the dojo and train them to become martial artists?.. what do you train the to do ?

Upvote 0

Alithis

Disciple of Jesus .
Nov 11, 2010
Mobile
✟101,992.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Romans 14 does not contradict Corinthians, it says the same thing in different words.

Corinthians. ...
Judge other believer, since they are servants of the same master.
Don't judge unbelievers, as they are someone else's servant.

I see no conflict here,...I can judge you if you bear the name brother, unless you are an unbeliever.
have to agree there , but oh how carefully them we must be in such judgements,

oops, have to be careful about agreeing with you as you might be me lol

Upvote 0

Alithis

Disciple of Jesus .
Nov 11, 2010
Mobile
✟101,992.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
While it is true that not only the martial arts, but the entire world, is enmity with God - Christ overcame the world. All the world is captured territory...nothing is unlawful, to those who are in Christ Jesus.
interesting way of putting things .
but are we then the lawless ? are we without a law to govern us ? no, we are under the law of love which Jesus has fulfilled and we now live in him..
so if it is chrsit who lives in us .. is he taking us to martial arts lessons and bowing himself down to demonic influence .. or it is us dong that to him by our own willful actions in the carnal minded body ? (whom we are not to live by ) ... interesting aint it .

Upvote 0

Alithis

Disciple of Jesus .
Nov 11, 2010
Mobile
✟101,992.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Well why don't you provide verses that say we are not to learn self defense???
hmm now how would that be edifying ...? how about we look at the verses of what we ARE told we ARE in Christ and thus what we ARE to be and ARE to do ..instead of searching out excuse to do that which we will to do .. is it not written and prayed not "my" will , but thine be done .?

Upvote 0

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
hmm now how would that be edifying ...? how about we look at the verses of what we ARE told we ARE in Christ and thus what we ARE to be and ARE to do ..instead of searching out excuse to do that which we will to do .. is it not written and prayed not "my" will , but thine be done .?

You never know what will happen---like when this guy was attacked, he used the self defense and got the guy down on the ground--face down, then he proceeded to tell him how God had a much better plan for him, how Christ had died for him to have a better life through him, that he didn't have to end up in jail, or dead, then he said, he was going to let him go, and that he wanted him to go home and think about his life, give it to God, and learn to live---he has no idea what the guy did---he just prays the guy gave his heart over to God. God uses whatever is at hand.

Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,108,968.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
(A)first that we cannot point at another and say what they do makes what i do ok , god does not judge on the merits of another mans actions . but on his word alone for his word is life .(ie we cant say well that guy over there is an amazing Christian and hes been married 4 times so its ok to divorce and remarry ... .. it doesn't work that way)
What?!! You're comparing something that the Lord has not forbidden to something he has forbidden?
And if somebody was REALLY listening to the Lord, like you do, then they would know they shouldn't being doing martial arts. :tutu:
(B) iv not seen heard or read ANYTHING that would make me think he 'is' a christian. he may be a nominal part time church attendee ,i have no way to know ,but that does not make a person a disciple of the lord Jesus .so its a circular argument -unverifiable except by him coming online and testifying to it himself
Well, he has testified to it many times over the years so I don't see what difference it would make if he came here and did it again. Do your homework.

I personally believe that a person who is using martial arts as a sport or to keep in shape is not sinning against God. AND if that person happens to be in physical danger I do not believe they shouldn't use it to protect themselves.
Peace

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
lol .. no , it appears your saying it .i didn't even bring it up .you judge yourself it appears , by defending something we are never instructed in scripture to do as a new creation walking in the holy Spirit .

it quite misleading to ask "are you saying" .wen the person didn't say it .. and then ask them to prove what it was they didn't say .. you said it lol "they " ,did not .

also you said my casual assumption ?? i didn't make any assumptions. i asked you a couple of straight forward Questions .

lets recap -

reply : again- sounds very pious on the surface of it .
but are you following the leading of the holy spirit who leads into all truth and glorifies the LORD JESUS (not worldly arts )? in the name of Jesus ,did God tell you specifically to practice a worldly spirits art ? did he tell you to walk in the way of Cain?

and you replied with our=: causal assumptions do not follow. In any case, only God can really know the answer to your questions, let him be the judge .. it's his job anyway....."-end quote .

i didn't ask to judge and i didn't ask another .. i asked "YOU ", so why would god be the only one to answer the question of ..are you following the leading of the holy spirit ?
And did God tell you specifically to practice a worldly spirits art ?

So you took that long to address me and not my post? Congrats.

Upvote 0

Alithis

Disciple of Jesus .
Nov 11, 2010
Mobile
✟101,992.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So you took that long to address me and not my post? Congrats.
well i just quoted your
"Posts"..just because you dont like the reply doesnt mean i didnt address them. :)
And i noted you did not answer any of the questions. So now, i will make assumption, but an informed one.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Alithis

Disciple of Jesus .
Nov 11, 2010
Mobile
✟101,992.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What?!! You're comparing something that the Lord has not forbidden to something he has forbidden?
And if somebody was REALLY listening to the Lord, like you do, then they would know they shouldn't being doing martial arts. :tutu:

Well, he has testified to it many times over the years so I don't see what difference it would make if he came here and did it again. Do your homework.

I personally believe that a person who is using martial arts as a sport or to keep in shape is not sinning against God. AND if that person happens to be in physical danger I do not believe they shouldn't use it to protect themselves.
Peace
Based upon your opinion.
Not scripture. You see you said "you believe that.." so thats back to what is right in your own eyes. With no regard to what the lords will may be.
Acknowledge him in ..some of your ways ..or all ?

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
well i just quoted your
"Posts"..just because you dont like the reply doesnt mean i didnt address them. :)
And i noted you did not answer any of the questions. So now, i will make assumption, but an informed one.

I don't respond to unfounded accusations, but I will pray for your deliverance.

Upvote 0

Alithis

Disciple of Jesus .
Nov 11, 2010
Mobile
✟101,992.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You never know what will happen---like when this guy was attacked, he used the self defense and got the guy down on the ground--face down, then he proceeded to tell him how God had a much better plan for him, how Christ had died for him to have a better life through him, that he didn't have to end up in jail, or dead, then he said, he was going to let him go, and that he wanted him to go home and think about his life, give it to God, and learn to live---he has no idea what the guy did---he just prays the guy gave his heart over to God. God uses whatever is at hand.
Put your self in the shoes of the guy your story just humiliated...i can assume he went home feeling everything except drawn to god...humiliation has that effect on people.
And again ,a nice story about what one guy supposedly did, has no relevance to walking in obedience to the holy spirit.
Which is the underlaying point of this thread. A spirit filled life !you see in scripture we meet johns deciples..who are informed by paul that thier water baptism is wrong.
And such is their heart towards God that they did not hesitate to make it right..
Its an amazing attitude of love towards God.a heart that respondes without baulkin or self Justification.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Lol what accusation?
Would you like me to repost it all again..?
I asked you a couple of questions ..
Why so upset

I must've reacted to something related to spiritual discernment.
Since our conversation was over a while ago, I've since lost interest in the topic of discussion.

Sorry about that.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,108,968.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Based upon your opinion.
Not scripture. You see you said "you believe that.." so thats back to what is right in your own eyes. With no regard to what the lords will may be.
Acknowledge him in ..some of your ways ..or all ?
I can't figure out if you are just ignorant or deliberately acting that way.

No based on what I believe scripture says and doesn't say.
'I believe' is saying this is what I interpret or I deduct from the scriptures, rather than stating that This Is the way it is, I'm right you're wrong, yada yada.
I Believe that you have failed to make your argument based on scripture. You believe differently. Someone else may believe as you have and someone else may believe as you haven't.
Got the idea?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ScottA

Author: Walking Like Einstein
Site Supporter
Feb 24, 2011
✟33,847.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
interesting way of putting things .
but are we then the lawless ? are we without a law to govern us ? no, we are under the law of love which Jesus has fulfilled and we now live in him..
so if it is chrsit who lives in us .. is he taking us to martial arts lessons and bowing himself down to demonic influence .. or it is us dong that to him by our own willful actions in the carnal minded body ? (whom we are not to live by ) ... interesting aint it .
No, I think that could be done with anything, i.e., what foods we eat, what days we celebrate, etc...and the point is not that we are lawless, but that "nothing is unlawful for those who are in Christ Jesus."

Upvote 0

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
Put your self in the shoes of the guy your story just humiliated...i can assume he went home feeling everything except drawn to god...humiliation has that effect on people.
And again ,a nice story about what one guy supposedly did, has no relevance to walking in obedience to the holy spirit.
Which is the underlaying point of this thread. A spirit filled life !you see in scripture we meet johns deciples..who are informed by paul that thier water baptism is wrong.
And such is their heart towards God that they did not hesitate to make it right..
Its an amazing attitude of love towards God.a heart that respondes without baulkin or self Justification.

Who are you to declare how God will draw someone to Him?? What method has He declared to you is the way to tell someone about Him?? How do you know how that man felt? Humiliated?--Maybe--and so he should be. He tried to hurt someone and that someone turned it around on him, and instead of retaliating, he only subdues and let him go. And as he is sitting there who are you to dictate how he then started to think about it all and realized the emptiness of his life and the strength of character it took to set him free? He told this robber and perhaps murderer that his life is wrong, that there is a God that loves him and has a better way for him to live and you want to criticize his method?? He stood up for God, he told the guy he was wrong, he told the guy there is a better way--who are to say he did it wrong?? What complete and utter arrogance of that statement!!!

Upvote 0

Freedom Now

Jun 26, 2016
Canada
✟8,448.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Certainly sounds like ......

Turning the other cheek...

Take your coat, give him your cloak also...

Give to him who asks of you....

But instead, let me show what real love is about....

Put the guy down to the ground using self defense, face down....

Then proceed to tell the gospel of Jesus love......

Hmmmm, if it were not so contradictory to what Jesus actually taught, one might think it funny.

Very sad how Jesus is presented to the world....

May God open our eyes...

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.