Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
In my late teens, I wrestled and then began a grappling form of Judo even took a number of years of Akido Jitsu.

Bowing to the instructor or your opponent was a sign of respect, not worship. We learned to focus our attention, not meditate to demons.

When I came into a relationship with Jesus I took a form of Christian Martial arts to help keep in physical shape, which is taking care of the temple of God.

We use sporting events for fun but also for outreaches to the lost.

So here is our fellowship thread. Let's talk

Last edited:

Boidae

Senior Veteran
Aug 18, 2010
Central Florida
✟21,015.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Others
I would love to get back into playing roller or street hockey again, but I am about 40 pounds overweight now and not sure I could keep up.

Been trying to lose weight, but am a very picky eater and hate to exercise unless it is playing a sport.

Upvote 0

Svt4Him

Legend
Site Supporter
Oct 23, 2003
Visit site
✟53,618.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
I was in ThaiBoxing and use to teach it. One day shortly after becoming Christian I asked God about it. I immediately saw the little budda doll at the front of the gym that we bowed to. We bowed to each other, the instructor and the gym.I asked for forgiveness and got deliverance from it.

When I went back I took all the spiritual out and focused on the sport. In ThaiBoxing, you do a Wai Khru, which is a dance to your gods, family or whoever you want it to mean, in honour of your teaching and history. I chose not to do it and when my Ajan asked why, I said because my God doesn't require it. It gave me opportunity to share. I did bow to opponents, never to the gym.

Upvote 0

Svt4Him

Legend
Site Supporter
Oct 23, 2003
Visit site
✟53,618.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
I would love to get back into playing roller or street hockey again, but I am about 40 pounds overweight now and not sure I could keep up.

Been trying to lose weight, but am a very picky eater and hate to exercise unless it is playing a sport.

I have been working out for two months now, and when I decided to start, I thought it took me this long to get this body, if it takes me a bit to work it off that's okay. I started really slow as it takes longer to heal now.

Martial arts aren't a slow start, but they do have some types for weight loss.

Upvote 0

Frogster

Galatians is the best!
Sep 7, 2009
✟74,317.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
In my late teens, I wrestled and then began a grappling form of Judo even took a number of years of Akido Jitsu.

Bowing to the instructor or your opponent was a sign of respect, not worship. We learned to focus our attention, not meditate to demons.

When I came into a relationship with Jesus I took a form of Christian Martial arts to help keep in physical shape, which is taking care of the temple of God.

We use sporting events for fun but also for outreaches to the lost.

So here is our fellowship thread. Let's talk

understood.

Titus 1:15 To the pure, all things are pure, but to the defiled and unbelieving, nothing is pure; but both their minds and their consciences are defiled.

Reactions: Svt4Him
Upvote 0

FoundInGrace

God's sparrow
Dec 27, 2003
✟38,472.00
Faith
Christian
I really wanted to do martial arts for years and I didnt for years because of the spiritual side it can have to it. But in recent years decided to see if I could do it. First I tried tai chi - really enjoyed it but could only go a couple of times then I just couldnt go - hard to explain but just couldnt, it was like that with yoga for me as well. Then just recently tried a more physical martial art, again enjoyed it and one of the senior people there said i should come back but again i couldnt go back. I think God just doesnt want me to do martial arts or sport that can have a spiritual element to them. Some believers probably could and be fine but having tried and found I cant continue going then they are not for me. It is between the believer and God in their walk with Him. There definitely can be a spiritual element to martial arts, some people are probably more susceptible to that side of it than others. I wanted something that would help my fitness etc but even with that motivation I have found martial arts arent for me.

Upvote 0

Svt4Him

Legend
Site Supporter
Oct 23, 2003
Visit site
✟53,618.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
as posted above, if you look for bad you'll see it, but I have a lot of good stories about my experience.

Often it's believed martial arts is rooted in religion, but there is no basis for this:

Myth almost always comes with reality in the whole history of Shaolin and its kung fu. Some popular stories[11][12] consider Bodhidharma as the founder of Shaolin kung fu. No historical record mentions Bodhidharma as a practitioner of martial arts and Shaolin monks knew martial arts even before Bodhidharma.

It was a good skill to know and I'll teach my kids it as well.

When I was fighting, I was training a lot. Then I got in a car accident and rolled, and I wasn't wearing my seatbelt. The lady said it was good that I was exercising otherwise it would have been much worse. This doesn't mean God wasn't involved in protecting me, I won't even go there.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟702,015.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Fellowship of Christian Athletes is a major force in sports at a number of different levels. For the last 60 years they have been impacting the lives of high school, collegiate and professional athletes.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟702,015.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I find it fascinating how God can breath life into things. He has this wonderful ability to take what was meant for evil and use it for His purpose.

The whole martial arts issue has caused me to re think and look into the issue again.

What I found was a group/groups of people who have taken the occult out of the practice and change the spiritual emphasis to Holy Spirit focused.

Upvote 0

Alithis

Disciple of Jesus .
Nov 11, 2010
Mobile
✟101,992.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I find it fascinating how God can breath life into things. He has this wonderful ability to take what was meant for evil and use it for His purpose.

The whole martial arts issue has caused me to re think and look into the issue again.

What I found was a group/groups of people who have taken the occult out of the practice and change the spiritual emphasis to Holy Spirit focused.
Hi simply put ..
yeah to be honest i tried that also ..sort of a been there done that . but well... .i don't wish to relive past disagreement .but we aernt really meant to decide what we do based on what "others do" nor use the actions of others as reasoning .but the word of God alone as our foundation and the Holy Spirit as our teacher .
before some leap on me lol .. yes that also applies that no one should not do something just because i do not do something . however the same Holy Spirit in you is in me and he will lead all to greener (more separated )pastures :) and when we empty our hands of what we are holding on to in our lives ,he will then cause us to take up that which he has for us .
God bless :)

Upvote 0