Mars Hill Church, Mark Driscoll a cult?

Trogool

Apr 3, 2012
✟3,694.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Green
I gotta say though, I disagree with some of these websites I was pointed to tryna say he's vulgar and stuff. Okay, from what I've seen/heard, he isn't politically correct. Is that the same thing as vulgar though?

No, but he's both. I honestly don't know how you can miss it... I mean, he reduces Song of Solomon to a sex manual, gave marital counseling to a woman married to a non-Christian that she should go home and perform oral sex on her husband pretty graphically, talks about sex pretty graphically in general, and has said that if a man is tempted to have an affair that it is is his wife's fault for not servicing him enough, and that she is in sin.

I don't really know how you can get more vulgar than that.

Upvote 0
B

Blessedj01

No, but he's both. I honestly don't know how you can miss it... I mean, he reduces Song of Solomon to a sex manual, gave marital counseling to a woman married to a non-Christian that she should go home and perform oral sex on her husband pretty graphically, talks about sex pretty graphically in general, and has said that if a man is tempted to have an affair that it is is his wife's fault for not servicing him enough, and that she is in sin.

I don't really know how you can get more vulgar than that.

From when I've heard him refer to the Song of Solomon, I didn't think he reduced it to a sex manual. Maybe this was some other sermon though? I was always under the impression that the Song of Solomon did pertain in part to relations between a man and a woman though, so I can see it being a sort of guide in some sense.

Not sure about the woman being told to go and perform oral sex on her husband, what exactly was said? That sounds pretty bizarre...but then again, sex within marriage isn't supposed to be shameful or vulgar. Could that be more of a cultural sensitivity? Especially when it's a discussion between two married people.

I think it's okay to talk graphically about sex as long as you are addressing Biblical concerns. I've heard a few frank question and answer segments from him on the subject and I don't think he crossed any lines where he shouldn't have. Maybe there's more to it but I haven't been offended yet...

...and the last thing, well, to me that's just crazy. But there is something to be said for our responsibilities in a marriage and how some withholding attitudes can be sinful. I hope he wasn't as simplistic as that and that there was a proper context.

Upvote 0

WinBySurrender

Dec 27, 2011
✟4,924.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
If we were to apply "nitpick analysis" to just about any pastor, we would find something about all of them that might not sit real well with us. I don't follow very many churches with television or radio ministries, in fact hardly any. When I'm driving around during the day, I enjoy listening to Tony Evans, Chuck Swindoll and David Jeremiah. But even they will rarely say things that don't quite jibe with what I think.

I don't know anything about Marc Driscoll except what I hear other people say about him and I've always found that to be an unreliable way to find out about anyone. Personally I'm more concerned about my own church. If any of the media-based ministries begin to bother me too much as to doctrine or approach, I turn them off. End of story.

Upvote 0
B

Blessedj01

Good attitude. I mainly listen to these sermons because they're easy to access and on a wide range of topics but they go into detail. They are accompanied with simple videos which is a bonus. Like you said, I rarely listen to a pastor without hearing something I'm not quite cool with, in fact I rarely interact with human beings without feeling that way. They probably feel the same way about me. It could be anything. But yeah, you can't just give up on people. Or else they'd give up on me. The difference is where I feel they are wrong on the bulk of their statements, etc. For instance, I don't like that pastor who says he kicks people in the face and spear tackles them to reach them.

Upvote 0

Bella Vita

Sailor in the U.S.N
May 18, 2011
✟10,239.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I don't blame you for feeling uncomfortable at his church. I have felt uncomfortable listening to some of his sermons where he basically yells at you.

I have mixed feelings on him. He is reaching a group of people (outcasts, rebels, "punks") who indeed need Christ. But he has said from the pulpit that God hates us all which contradicts the message of Christ's love for us (but hate for our sin).

We should not compromise. We can't blend in with the world. Mark Driscoll considers himself a rebel and purposely separates himself and his church from other churches. We are supposed to be a body of believers who work together with the goal of bringing Christ to sinners. I don't know if he believes he and his church can go it alone or what?

Anyways, I hope you find a good, Christ exalting church and feel welcome. Perhaps a smaller church (I'm from a rural area, so I love the small church where everyone is so loving and know you by name!). God will lead you to the right church. God bless!

I would really like to know how you think he separates himself off from other churches when he is the one who started Acts 29 group that is a church planting operation. He also started churches helping churches that is a huge mission operation. This is a simple case of people not doing their own research and just listening to the media or what others have to say. I encourage when it comes to these things to find out for yourself and go from there don't just take other people's words on it.

Upvote 0

Skala

I'm a Saint. Not because of me, but because of Him
Mar 15, 2011
✟27,869.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I've been going to Mars Hill Church in Seattle for the 3rd or 4th time and it doesn't feel right. The songs are weird and the lyrics sound cult-ish, especially when they said something like, "Heaven comes down with a roar."

Is this church a cult? I don't feel comfortable, but they seem to have an emphasis on Jesus Christ.

The aura is just weird... I've been to huge gatherings and what not, but this is different.

Subjective motions and feelings and experiences and personal tastes about music and lyrics have nothing to do with determining whether something is a cult.

The question is: are they preaching the Bible accurately? Yes or no? A cult is recognized by 4 things:

ADD: They add to scripture, making a manmade device as authorative as scripture.

SUBRACT: they subtract from the person of Christ. If they water down or attack his deity, sinlessness, or virgin birth, it's a cult.

MULTIPLY: they multiply the requirements of salvation. The scripture says salvation is by Gods grace through faith in Christ alone. If they add human works, or churhc membership, or some ritual to salvation, they are a cult.

DIVIDE: a cult claims to have exclusive revelation and understanding of God and spiritual things. They claim to be the "only" truth or the "only" true group of believers. They divide themselves out from other Christians.

From what I know, Mars Hill and Mark Driscoll are very sound, and very Biblical. Though Mark is controversial sometimes, I think his sermons and messages are extremely God honoring, and edifying. He has pretty good theology and teaches good doctrine.

Upvote 0
B

Blessedj01

Subjective motions and feelings and experiences and personal tastes about music and lyrics have nothing to do with determining whether something is a cult.

The question is: are they preaching the Bible accurately? Yes or no? A cult is recognized by 4 things:

ADD: They add to scripture, making a manmade device as authorative as scripture.

SUBRACT: they subtract from the person of Christ. If they water down or attack his deity, sinlessness, or virgin birth, it's a cult.

MULTIPLY: they multiply the requirements of salvation. The scripture says salvation is by Gods grace through faith in Christ alone. If they add human works, or churhc membership, or some ritual to salvation, they are a cult.

DIVIDE: a cult claims to have exclusive revelation and understanding of God and spiritual things. They claim to be the "only" truth or the "only" true group of believers. They divide themselves out from other Christians.

From what I know, Mars Hill and Mark Driscoll are very sound, and very Biblical. Though Mark is controversial sometimes, I think his sermons and messages are extremely God honoring, and edifying. He has pretty good theology and teaches good doctrine.

The main thing I like about Mark is that he actually explains things. He takes the time to tell you why stuff is, what it relates to, etc. I find that kind of preaching most effective for me. There are times when simply hearing is enough, but if you can explain to the context and the background of scripture, what it might apply to, etc. I can understand a whole lot better.

Upvote 0