keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟321,245.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Let's ask all the other teachers if they aver had sex outside of marriage!

Her situation was not open and notorious. It is also interesting when one looks at the remedy both historical and biblical for sex between unmarried people.

With any luck she will at least get enough publicity to escape the problems of suddenly finding herself without insurance and pregnant.

Upvote 0

Gishin

Apr 25, 2008
Midwest City, Oklahoma
✟6,461.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Let's ask all the other teachers if they aver had sex outside of marriage!

Her situation was not open and notorious. It is also interesting when one looks at the remedy both historical and biblical for sex between unmarried people.

With any luck she will at least get enough publicity to escape the problems of suddenly finding herself without insurance and pregnant.
Was she not married in the eyes of the Lord when she slept with him in the first place?

Upvote 0

PreachersWife2004

by his wounds we are healed
Site Supporter
May 15, 2007
Land O' 10,000 Lakes
✟84,030.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Let's say I fire someone for embezzling but he asks for forgiveness.

Should I hire him back just because he asked for forgiveness?

There are rules in place for a reason, and because you're dealing with a Christian school, you're going to be dealing with a Christian mindset, one in which premarital sex is a sin. If it's spelled out in the rules that you can get fired for that, then one needs to take that into account. Go have premarital sex if you think it's okay, but be prepared for the consequences.

She apparently was not prepared and rather than take responsibility for her actions, she is blaming the school.

It's the typical USA attitude these days...

Upvote 0

Gishin

Apr 25, 2008
Midwest City, Oklahoma
✟6,461.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Let's say I fire someone for embezzling but he asks for forgiveness.

Should I hire him back just because he asked for forgiveness?

There are rules in place for a reason, and because you're dealing with a Christian school, you're going to be dealing with a Christian mindset, one in which premarital sex is a sin. If it's spelled out in the rules that you can get fired for that, then one needs to take that into account. Go have premarital sex if you think it's okay, but be prepared for the consequences.

She apparently was not prepared and rather than take responsibility for her actions, she is blaming the school.

It's the typical USA attitude these days...
I honestly can't feel sorry for her any more than I can feel sorry for the students who willingly attend places like Bob Jones University. Residence Hall Life | Bob Jones University

I mean, you really should know what you're getting into.

Upvote 0

jameseb

Smite me, O Mighty Smiter!
Mar 3, 2004
North Little Rock, AR
✟116,968.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Only until you find yourself wrongly treated, I would suspect.

If it is true that she signed a contract which forbade this kind of conduct, then she really can't claim she was "wrongly treated" or have I missed something?

Upvote 0

PreachersWife2004

Site Supporter
May 15, 2007
Land O' 10,000 Lakes
✟84,030.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
I honestly can't feel sorry for her any more than I can feel sorry for the students who willingly attend places like Bob Jones University. Residence Hall Life | Bob Jones University

I mean, you really should know what you're getting into.

Oh wow, those are awful.

How do they keep track if someone accesses the internet via their cell phone??

yeah, if someone sued Bob Jones U over that stuff, I'd say the same thing to them. Of course, I'd never attend BJU either, even if I wasn't Lutheran.

Our college in New Ulm, MN has some restrictions, but they put the onus on the person doing it, rather than flat out telling them they can't. For example, a snippet from the handbook about decorating:

• Choose your decorations in good taste. Post nothing that would offend your Lord or the common sense of an average Christian (which includes your mother, the dormitory supervisors, RAs, campus pastor and VP for Student Life.)
  • Sexually explicit, suggestive or lewd decorations are not allowed.
  • You may not display containers used for the storage or sale of intoxicating beverages or paraphernalia connected with the use of illegal drugs.
  • Posters/paraphernalia promoting beer or liquor may not dominate or highlight the decor of any room and are discouraged, generally. Such decorations would certainly be inappropriate for any student under the legal drinking age. The dorm supervisor and VP for student Life will help you decide what is and is not permitted and their decisions will be final.
about the only thing they're really firm on is the illegal stuff and anything sexually explicit.

Anyhoo, sorry for the derail. :blush:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

CRAZY_CAT_WOMAN

My dad died 1/12/2023. I'm still devastated.
Jul 1, 2007
Native Land
✟331,829.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
The school has standards and an image it must maintain. This is why many organizations, religious and otherwise, have morality clauses in their contracts. This is something generally understood when people agree to work with an employer.

It's a bad time to get fired and I feel for her. However, that's the end of my sympathy. She knew what she was getting into and the lawsuit only shows her to be petty and vindictive.
Agreed.

Upvote 0

PreachersWife2004

Site Supporter
May 15, 2007
Land O' 10,000 Lakes
✟84,030.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Why not?

Matthew 19:6 says God marries people, I would think that would be all they need.

God also says to follow the established authorities...and generally speaking by law you gotta have that little piece of paper that says you're married.

Also, sex isn't what solely defines marriage, either.

Upvote 0

Gishin

Apr 25, 2008
Midwest City, Oklahoma
✟6,461.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
God also says to follow the established authorities...and generally speaking by law you gotta have that little piece of paper that says you're married.

Also, sex isn't what solely defines marriage, either.
True, I just never understood the bureaucracy that comes with marriage. I tend to think that being with the one you love is the important part. But what do I know, I'm crazy.

Upvote 0

Washington

Jul 3, 2003
Washington state
✟7,305.00
Faith
Agnostic
If it is true that she signed a contract which forbade this kind of conduct, then she really can't claim she was "wrongly treated" or have I missed something?
Well, as I pointed out in post 12, from what can be gathered from the article, the specifics of the school's "values and purpose" were not spelled out. I also gave my reasons why this could be a significant mitigating factor.

Upvote 0

max1120

seeker
Oct 9, 2008
✟9,676.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
She should sue in federal court and I hope she wins. What the school has done is not only outlandish and intolerant, but it is an offense to our way of life. In this country our founding fathers intended us to enjoy not only freedom of religion but freedom from religion. Your religious dogma and beliefs should be protected only as far as they do not require me to uphold them if they are contrary to my beliefs or disbeliefs. This lady has every cause to be angry and to seek fair compensation for the wrong which ahs been done to her. However the real victim in such cases is the constitution and the people of the United States who have been offended by this schools disrepect for the rights we all enjoy under our constitution.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Gishin

Apr 25, 2008
Midwest City, Oklahoma
✟6,461.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
She should sue in federal court and I hope she wins. What the school has done is not only outlandish and intolerant, but it is an offense to our way of life. In this country our founding fathers intended us to enjoy not only freedom of religion but freedom from religion. Your religious dogma and beliefs should be protected only as far as they do not require me to uphold them if they are contrary to my beliefs or disbeliefs. This lady has every cause to be angry and to seek fair compensation for the wrong which ahs been done to her. However the real victim in such cases is the constitution and the people of the United States who have been offended by this schools disrepect for the rights we all enjoy under our constitution.
Normally I would agree with you, but this is a private religious school. As long as they receive no federal funding I'm afraid they can do what they want.

Upvote 0

jameseb

Smite me, O Mighty Smiter!
Mar 3, 2004
North Little Rock, AR
✟116,968.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Well, as I pointed out in post 12, from what can be gathered from the article, the specifics of the school's "values and purpose" were not spelled out. I also gave my reasons why this could be a significant mitigating factor.

Alright. I just read the article in its entirety.

Yes, without actually being able to see the contract that was signed, it is impossible for us to know if there were sufficient grounds or not for her firing.

Personally, I don't believe they should fire her, not for this reason. I respect their right to laydown the stipulations for employment at their private school, but given how we are all mortal and given to imperfection, I seriously have my doubts that the administration of the school hasn't committed their own sin or two whilst on the payroll. I just think it is a bad policy.

Upvote 0

cakes&buttercream

Senior Veteran
Jul 13, 2007
USA
✟32,338.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
She had sex in a committed relationship which was obviously ready for marriage. Just because the state hadn't signed the paperwork yet does not mean it was a sin.

Agreed.

Sick sick, school. I personally am very happy to see she is proceeding with a lawsuit. I hate injustices such as this.

Upvote 0

Chajara

iEdit
Jan 9, 2005
Milwaukee
Visit site
✟12,941.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Green
Ok seriously, if my boss called me into the office and asked what night my child was conceived on... holy cow. I'd be livid.

I simply cannot imagine working for an employer where you were required to disclose details of your sex life to your superior.

Upvote 0

PreachersWife2004

Site Supporter
May 15, 2007
Land O' 10,000 Lakes
✟84,030.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married

Did you miss the part where this was actually a CHRISTIAN religious school?

Ok seriously, if my boss called me into the office and asked what night my child was conceived on... holy cow. I'd be livid.

I simply cannot imagine working for an employer where you were required to disclose details of your sex life to your superior.

Good thing no one is forcing you to work for a religious institution then! :thumbsup:

Upvote 0