marriage on your deathbed?

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
From experience, awesome sex is pretty far from your mind on your deathbed
It depends on the individual situation. Some that are dying are pretty much asymptomatic right up to the end.

My wife worked as an aid in a nursing home our first year of marriage. For some of the patients that died, their last couple of weeks were the best they had felt in years.

Upvote 0

Armoured

So is America great again yet?
Site Supporter
Aug 31, 2013
✟234,967.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
It depends on the individual situation. Some that are dying are pretty much asymptomatic right up to the end.

My wife worked as an aid in a nursing home our first year of marriage. For some of the patients that died, their last couple of weeks were the best they had felt in years.
Guess it depends on our definition of "deathbed. Having been on one myself, and having seen a number of others on theirs, I'm pretty confident in saying few, if any, people really are thinking much about one last round if their death is imminent.

Upvote 0

WolfGate

Site Supporter
Jun 14, 2004
South Carolina
✟448,246.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
well, before you think I'm totally heartless....

FWIW, I don't think you're heartless at all. I think you're struggling to understand in this specific case how marriage would be desired and valuable. Nothing wrong with that, as it is from a perspective that is different from how you envision your future. It is good you asked the question. That is how we become wise and sympathetic (or perhaps old! LOL!!!)

Upvote 0

bluegreysky

Can't adult today.
Sep 11, 2006
Saint Augustine, FL
✟22,012.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If his last wish was to marry me??

i don't know I need to think about this.

When we first met, he told me he had PTSD. But yet we still hit it off and he still wanted to date me. Then, several months later, the PTSD got out of control as he was experimenting with different meds from the VA, trying to take classes, dealing with his night terrors and hypervigilance, drinking, and trying to still be in a relationship.
More than once, he tried to break up with me with the reasoning that he needed time and space and he could tell he was hurting me.
Then in 2011, we actually DID break up for nearly a year... because it all came to a head and he couldn't heal while trying to plan a future with me and i had some issues that also weren't healing.
When he got better, he came back.
Based on this, the boy I know probably wouldn't want to drag me into a deep emotional tie with him if he was going to die soon.
Only after the chemo worked or the transplant was successful and he made a miraculous comeback would he start thinking about that.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

LinkH

Jun 19, 2006
✟43,833.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
From experience, awesome sex is pretty far from your mind on your deathbed

For the vast majority of diseases for someone on their deathbed, you are probably right. Well, it could be on someone's mind, but actually doing it near death might not be feasible.

But I could imagine some young people who love each other who were actually waiting until marriage, and one of them gets diagnosed with a disease for which they have six months to live, but they still have some strength left-- could sex be a motivating factor? Certainly.

Marrying someone on their death bed makes perfect sense to me if the couple really do love each other. I can really relate to that. Starting a relationship with someone on their deathbed, a whirlwind romance that leads to marriage seems less likely to me.

Upvote 0

WalksWithChrist

Seeking God's Will
Jan 5, 2005
USA
Visit site
✟38,526.00
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
I will tell you my story. Bear with me - it makes a point. Long, long before I met my current husband, I loved another. I grew up with him, knew his family from church, and was friends with his sister. We grew up and he moved away, but when he was diagnosed with a terminal illness, he moved back to our hometown and eventually we got back in touch and spent friendly time together. He was not expected to live long, but he did... and after years of being friends, I heard God speak "just love him." I obeyed, and our love grew deep.

He initially had some issues like you do - he did not want to put me through loving him only to lose him, but it did not matter. The love was there, and there was no stopping it. People knew we were very close friends, but only a handful knew about the love, the spiritual connection, the incredible bond we shared, and the relationship was godly (we did not become sexual with each other). We held hands, kissed each other goodnight, played footsies, walked arm in arm, but we honoured God in our relationship. We talked of marriage, and wanted to spend our lives together, no matter how long one of those lives would be - after all, I could have married him, walked outside the next day and been hit by a car. There are no guarantees.

Around the same time we started talking about marriage, he came out of remission and got sick very quickly. He became bedridden before long, and I went to visit him often...at one point, his sister was there, and he "introduced us" as husband and wife...it was his way of making our relationship public. Others in his family already knew, although I did not find out until the funeral.

I would have married him if he wanted to before he died, and not for any legal reasons. I would have done it to publicly declare my love for him, to privately declare my love for him, to fulfill his dreams, to spend even one night with him even if it were never to be consummated, but just to have and to hold even for one night. I was prepared to make a vow till death do us part, and even did that with him in private on our last date out.... and it had a meaning attached to it that far more real than for two healthy people standing in front of a marriage officiant surrounded by friends and family.

All that is no disrespect to my current husband, who I love with all my heart. My beloved from all those years ago had a significant influence on my entire life for the next decade as I grieved. Mostly, though, if it were not for him, I would not have been so choosy about dating and marriage with my current husband. He was good for me at that time in my life, and I honour his memory. God knew that he needed to die knowing he was well loved, and God knew that I needed to know what mature love was, so I could use that knowledge in my future search for a spouse.

When God first told me "just love him," I argued with God, "but he's dying!" And God said "I promise I will make it worth it." And he did. The many years of grief were a drop in the bucket compared to the few years of amazing love!

I don't know why others marry on the deathbed, but I know why I would have done it...
That's beautiful.

Upvote 0

NothingIsImpossible

May 22, 2015
✟274,922.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Well technically speaking from the second we are born we are dying. So really we are marrying people on their death bed. And not to mention you can die tomorrow so I see marrying someone whos going to die the same as marrying someone who has a chance at dying the next day. I don't think theres anything wrong if you don't want to marry someone on their death bed, I mean not everyone is going to be comfortable with it. Its like a vegan getting stuck in an elevator for a week and the only food is roasted chicken that they were bringing to someone. Some would eat it, some would prefer starvation. Probably a terrible example btw LOL.

Upvote 0

ValleyGal

Dec 19, 2012
✟114,245.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Divorced
BGS, correct me if I'm wrong - given your own experience with your husband, it is hard for you to understand why some people do it. If he had ever been in that situation with you, he may never have asked - very similar to what my departed beloved went through. He did not want to drag me into caregiving, grief, etc, but after such a lengthy remission and beautiful romance, he had changed his mind and God had changed his heart. I was going to grieve either way. Your husband is fortunate that he never had to struggle with what my b/f did... although he could have also come to a place where he might have changed his mind. Anyway, while you and your husband didn't need to consider these struggles (you had other struggles), can you at least understand why some of us would make the choice to marry on the deathbed?

WWC, thank you...it was a beautiful romance, and now I have a beautiful romance with my new best friend/lover/husband. :) I am so fortunate to have known such amazing love more than once in my life!

Reactions: WolfGate
Upvote 0

bluegreysky

Can't adult today.
Sep 11, 2006
Saint Augustine, FL
✟22,012.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
ok so i asked him and.... he said his dying wish WOULD have been to get married.
so now I have to rescind (spelling?) everything that I said
because if he asked me that and I said no, he'd be a better person that me.
at least that's what he said.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
because if he asked me that and I said no, he'd be a better person that me.
at least that's what he said.
OK - that is twice in a row you have used that phrase.

That throws up a serious red flag for me .......
I'm just sayin' .....

Reactions: ValleyGal
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

WolfGate

Site Supporter
Jun 14, 2004
South Carolina
✟448,246.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
"Can't stand being wrong" FWIW, the way to really grow and mature and even get ahead in business and life is to be fine with being wrong. It's how we learn, and the best leaders and marriages and friendships and businesses are those where everyone understands they will be wrong at times, are OK with that, are open to new ideas (which could make their previous stance wrong), learn from it, make changes if needed and therefore also have much grace for those they deal with when they make and acknowledge mistakes as well. A rabbit trail not related to this thread, I know, but something you might wish to think about.

Now, I can't stand people who act superior if they are right, but that is a different thing.

Upvote 0