Mark Driscoll 'Crashes' John MacArthur's Strange Fire Conference?

jiminpa

Site Supporter
Jul 4, 2004
✟283,713.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
It sounds to me like we have two attention hogs trying to upstage each other. What they both know is that spotlight grabbing increases the attention that both of them get, so they both get more attention and the rest of us lose some of our own time feeding their egos.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Jedi.Kep

Jul 30, 2009
Earth
✟16,160.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
haven't read his book but I do know that the Christian church has a serious problem with inappropriate content addiction. The rates of inappropriate content being ordered during a Christian conference rise dramatically at convention centers. Is Mark trying to address the problem and what does that have to do with his confronting John MacArthur - which I just think is wonderful. It took real guts to go into his conference - knowing how so many people read his bible.

Along that line, there is an excellent book by Nate Larkin called Sampson and the Pirate Monks, which helps men deal with inappropriate contentography in a biblical way. Excellent read and a book I would recommend to all.

Upvote 0

tulipbee

Worker of the Hive
Apr 27, 2006
✟25,849.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Most don't know what really happens when you bounce your brain up and down. In stillness, your heart produces shock waves on each pump of blood. This shock wave makes the brain bounce up and down. In movement, such as bouncing up and down adds to bouncing the brain up and down. The brain is like a gel in a bowl like skull. Over time with continuous bouncing, the brain produces a electrical flow. It flows in a circular pattern. This electrical pattern over time will produce a warm feeling. It produces a sensations of light. The circular flows causes the body to jerk or you'll feel it. This happens anywhere and everywhere. It happens in martial arts, Yoga, Hinduism, Buddhism, Churches, rock concerts or simple bouncing at home. The results are the same in all religion or life. If this happens to a worshipper, they claim it's the Holy Spirit. If it happens to Mike Jagger, He claims it feels good. f it happens in Zen, they claim enlightenment.
So, Christians say its from God if they do such things. The claims are the same in Zen, Yoga and such.
So, It's like people in fear of the moon falling towards them. The fears of not knowing much.

Now you know. No need the fear such strange events that happens to the body. Its natural. It's the way the body works.

The worshippers don't fear them and boast of saving themselves under illusions instructed by paster who think they're right.

You can't it really doesn't happen.

Upvote 0
A

Andrea411

Most don't know what really happens when you bounce your brain up and down. In stillness, your heart produces shock waves on each pump of blood. This shock wave makes the brain bounce up and down. In movement, such as bouncing up and down adds to bouncing the brain up and down. The brain is like a gel in a bowl like skull. Over time with continuous bouncing, the brain produces a electrical flow. It flows in a circular pattern. This electrical pattern over time will produce a warm feeling. It produces a sensations of light. The circular flows causes the body to jerk or you'll feel it. This happens anywhere and everywhere. It happens in martial arts, Yoga, Hinduism, Buddhism, Churches, rock concerts or simple bouncing at home. The results are the same in all religion or life. If this happens to a worshipper, they claim it's the Holy Spirit. If it happens to Mike Jagger, He claims it feels good. f it happens in Zen, they claim enlightenment.
So, Christians say its from God if they do such things. The claims are the same in Zen, Yoga and such.
So, It's like people in fear of the moon falling towards them. The fears of not knowing much.

Now you know. No need the fear such strange events that happens to the body. Its natural. It's the way the body works.

The worshippers don't fear them and boast of saving themselves under illusions instructed by paster who think they're right.

LOL... are you suggesting that charismatics all have brain injury.... just kidding. I don't do a lot of bouncing. The kind of thing your talking about is what kids do at Raves. I personally have not seen that in any church no matter how exuberant. I have been to a few 'young people's churches'. With the very loud music and too much drums etc etc. I still didn't see that kind of "head banging' is what its called. I can't place what or why you've posted that here?? Please explain what that has to do with Charismatics or MacArthur. Does MacArthur have brain damage?

Upvote 0

jiminpa

Site Supporter
Jul 4, 2004
✟283,713.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

It sounds all kinds of scientific, but is that the experience in most healings? It's not in the ones I have been around, and yes, some people have felt heat, but it was localized to the specific area that was being prayed for, and I can't think of anyone jumping up and down first. I figure God just gives us something tangible our pea brains can understand to let us know He is working.

It has nothing to do with saving ourselves. It has everything to do with believing God is the healer, and needing to feel something to believe has everything to do with being weak enough to need some kind of a tangible indicator to believe that God is doing what He does. God is gracious enough to provide something to let us know He is at work.

But thanks for insulting, as prideful and self-reliant, everyone seeking God to meet a physical need.

Upvote 0

Tobias

Relationship over Religion
Jan 8, 2004
California
✟21,764.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Private
There is a big difference between someone who has experienced the Holy Spirit, and someone who has not. Many times those who have not try to make wild claims as to what it is like and how it can be reproduced in some secular manner. Usually this is done by atheists who claim to be very scientific in their reasoning, but in reality this is the opposite of science. It is making a hypothesis without ever attempting to prove it right or wrong through experimentation.

Now, if a number of former Charismatics were able to say that the same experience of the H/S they used to get in church could be replicated by bouncing on a trampoline, we might be getting somewhere with this. In which case any one of us could try it, and realize that the "Holy Spirit" is with us whenever we jump, jog, or have the moves like Jagger. :cool:

Upvote 0

probinson

Legend
Aug 16, 2005
PA
Visit site
✟135,317.00
Country
United States
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Interesting. I've experienced the power of God tangibly on more than one occasion. Once you taste and see, there is no convincing otherwise.

Likewise, I've also jumped on a trampoline on more than one occasion.

At least in my experience, there is absolutely no comparison between the 2. ;)

:cool:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

BenAdam

Pirate King
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2006
Tortuga
✟51,113.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Substantiate these claims please. Sounds like nonsense.

Upvote 0

tulipbee

Worker of the Hive
Apr 27, 2006
✟25,849.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
LOL... are you suggesting that charismatics all have brain injury.... just kidding. I don't do a lot of bouncing.

No one said anything on "brain damage" That came from you. The heart beats and breathing along with Earth's vibration of 7.4 mhz ( VERY low sound wave) vibrate the brain and causes it to bounce. There are two ways to see this type of light, through bio-electrical power or through the lack of oxygen. Scientific reports of drowning victims are abundant and in short, when the brain lacks oxygen, it produces a light like feeling in the brain. Some report speaks of tunnel visions like light at the end of dark tubes.

There are scientific proofs that movement causes the brain to produce bio-electrical events. When I say scientific, I mean repeated test give the same results.

Upvote 0

tulipbee

Worker of the Hive
Apr 27, 2006
✟25,849.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Substantiate these claims please. Sounds like nonsense.

If one always live in the non-existent past and never truly appreciate the present and experience the LIVING God, then the past is nonsense cause the past is long gone and don't exists in the present.

It's really that simple. So simple that children understand it. But one has to really get into "UNDO". Do that and you'll know what "living" means. Stop thinking too much.

God makes tumours disappear in an instant "now" or the present is the only time to accept miracles. The past only shows the tumour there while the present shows the tumour gone. "
__There" or "__Gone"? Your choice.

Join the present where God comes alive. Theres nothing to be afraid of, God is there.

Upvote 0

tturt

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟797,599.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Originally Posted by tulipbee

So Yahweh created us so that for example, when David danced before The Lord with all his might, it was just the gel.

Other Scriptures that say dance Psa 149, Jer 31.

As well as some of the others who have posted, I know the difference between The Holy Spirit and other experiences, too.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

BenAdam

Pirate King
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2006
Tortuga
✟51,113.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
If one always live in the non-existent past and never truly appreciate the present and experience the LIVING God, then the past is nonsense cause the past is long gone and don't exists in the present.

It's really that simple. So simple that children understand it. But one has to really get into "UNDO". Do that and you'll know what "living" means. Stop thinking too much.

God makes tumours disappear in an instant "now" or the present is the only time to accept miracles. The past only shows the tumour there while the present shows the tumour gone. "
__There" or "__Gone"? Your choice.

Join the present where God comes alive. Theres nothing to be afraid of, God is there.

So in other words, no substantiation of ridiculous claims.

Upvote 0

JimB

Legend
Jul 12, 2004
Nacogdoches, Texas
Visit site
✟34,757.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
So, now I am wondering what lasting good this senseless confrontation accomplished. Was anybody saved, fed, clothed, encouraged, edified? Except for providing another publicity stage for the principals and, maybe, proving that someone was right and the other was wrong, I can’t see much else was achieved. :scratch:

Upvote 0

AndOne

Deliver me oh Lord, from evil men
Apr 20, 2002
Florida
✟20,928.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
This is the first I'd heard of this. What a mess. I wish Driscoll would realize he isn't helping the situation.

As for MacArthur - he should not have broad-brush stroked all of us Charismatics as being unsaved. He really messed up.

Upvote 0

AndOne

Deliver me oh Lord, from evil men
Apr 20, 2002
Florida
✟20,928.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married

What does this have to do with anything? I attend a Charismatic Church and I can assure you there is no head-banging going on during the worship service or any other part of the service...

Upvote 0