Mark Driscoll 'Crashes' John MacArthur's Strange Fire Conference?

Biblicist

Full Gospel believer
Mar 27, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
✟43,594.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
You left off the part of the article that refutes Driscoll's claim his books were confiscated.
This thread seems to have taken on a life of its own in that my interest was more about the “event” where a major ministry decided to drop in to make a point about a very worldly and godless seminar. As for Driscoll, this rather colourful and controversial individual is probably not the person that I would have picked to go and make such a stand but I suppose if it were to be anyone then Driscoll would definitely be the most likely to do so.

As for my initial references (with appropriate links), I admittedly chose material that most suited a forum such as this and I must admit that I’m really not sure where, how and what Driscoll did at the conference; hopefully, his stand (if it was noticed by those in attendance) will help them to realise that maybe within their circles that it may be deemed legitimate to attack the person and ministry of the Holy Spirit but the broader Body of Christ certainly does not think that MacArthur’s humanist agenda is what we need.

On a couple of recent threads, I mentioned that we need to be very careful with who we link our arguments to as it can very easily undermine our position, but as Driscoll is not being used as a beacon of light or a good reason to discount MacArthur’s humanism, then people are more than free to make any comments about him that they wish to – maybe I could learn a thing or two about the Calvinist Driscoll in the process (and I certainly won’t be closing this thread).

According to a tweet by another Strange Fire conference attendee, Driscoll might have been joking about the confiscation of his books.
That certainly could be the case but as the tweet apparently came from a conference attendee then we might have to wait to hear some information from a more reliable source.

Upvote 0

Biblicist

Full Gospel believer
Mar 27, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
✟43,594.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
I am no fan of MacArthur in Any way, shape or form.

But shame on Driscoll. That is unmannerly and rude. I wonder what his response would be if Mac did the same.
That would be absolutely great! About a decade ago, Jack Deere responded to a question about MacArthur where he said that in his opinion (from memory at least), that MacArthur seems to have had little contact with any Pentecostals and charismatics which is why he seems to be confused. If MacArthur ever found himself in a meeting where the presence of God was evident, I think that we would all value having him there as he might finally be able to learn a thing or two. If he had any books, I would certainly grab one as there might be a blank page or two which would allow me to take a few extra notes.

As for Driscolls attempt to make a point, is it any different to some Christians rolling up to an atheists conference where they hand out a few pamphlets or to some other destructive worldly event? But to those who feel that his behaviour was inappropriate, then that's fair enough but the 'event' or the statement that he seems to have made might just make a few of these more worldly churchgoers who attended this conference to maybe sit back and take a second look at their views - who knows.

Upvote 0

Biblicist

Full Gospel believer
Mar 27, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
✟43,594.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Personally, I do not consider publicly airing our dirty Christian laundry and squabbling over doctrinal differences what Jude had in mind when he said we should “contend for the faith once delivered to the saints.” This sort of bickering should be carried on in private, without cameras and news reporters, like maybe in an office, or by correspondence, or in a Christian forum like this one. IMO, the world is not interested in what we believe or disagree about doctrinally; all they can see is that we don’t get along and that is reason enough for them to stay away. :)
Yes, your points taken on this matter, but has this worldly event where Driscoll made a stand for the Lord received any secular air-time in the US?

If their hadn't been a couple of recent threads which were heavily based on MacArthur's views, I doubt if I would have even been aware of this conference - not that it would have generated any interest for me even if I had known about it.

Upvote 0

Tobias

Relationship over Religion
Jan 8, 2004
California
✟21,764.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Private
This is the man who once bragged he believed in "blessed subtraction" where he would "throw off the bus" anyone who doesn't come in agreement for his vision for his church, and that there was already a trail of dead bodies under the bus and by God's grace it will someday become a mountain of bodies.

Not exactly a shepherds attitude. Just search for his name and "blessed subtraction", or "under the bus", and it will probably give you what you need.

It almost sounds to me like you are justifying the lie because there are plenty of other things wrong with this preacher?

I am completely unfamiliar with Driscoll's ministry, so I'm not defending him.

I'm merely pointing out that someone accused him of saying that Jesus lusted, but in the quote provided he only said that Jesus was tempted. It upsets me that someone would lie, that people would continue the offense by spreading the lie. (And also that anyone might get the wrong idea and think that the act of being tempted is a sin.)

Faulty, I think of you as a man with impeccable integrity. You take a stand for what you think is right when many others stay silent. Surly you can see that no amount of character flaws in a man justifies lying about him in other areas just to pull him down, right? This is my problem with those I call heresy hunters. They turn to underhanded devices to do what they think is "God's Work". Their sin of lying is justified, because the "false teacher" must be made to pay by any means necessary; or so they seem to believe.

All I'm asking for is the truth. If a preacher actually did do something, then like the characters in the Bible, we can be certain that their hidden sin will be broadcasted from the rooftops... if and when God sees fit. I have no desire to hide men's sins, except in cases like Noah's sons covering him up when he got drunk.

But those who lie to unseat popular ministers also need to be exposed and rebuked. They definitely don't need any help from us! I don't care what these "false preachers" have done, nothing justifies telling lies about them. Let the truth speak for itself, and if that's not enough dissuade people from following them then it's out of our hands.

Right?

I don't dislike heresy hunters because they expose the truth. Only those who lack integrity and tell lies about what the person did or did not do. The ones who lack integrity, and use Satan's devices to do what they claim is a work for the Kingdom of God.

Upvote 0

murjahel

Senior Veteran
Oct 31, 2005
✟29,367.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
If their hadn't been a couple of recent threads which were heavily based on MacArthur's views, .

My posts were 'heavily, totally, based on the Bible's views of 'strange fire'... I agreed that cessationism is strange fire itself. The falsehood you defend mark driscoll for , and say it is wrong for 'heresy hunters' to lie... is a good argument, till, in the next post, you speak untruthfully about me... I had those threads on Biblical strange fire, and posted them before John MacArthur released his book or did his conference... so... it was not based on J.M.s views, it was based on what the Bible says about strange fire...

so, heresy hunters ALL should be truthful...

Reactions: mourningdove~
Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟688,881.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
My posts were 'heavily, totally, based on the Bible's views of 'strange fire'... I agreed that cessationism is strange fire itself. The falsehood you defend mark driscoll for , and say it is wrong for 'heresy hunters' to lie... is a good argument, till, in the next post, you speak untruthfully about me... I had those threads on Biblical strange fire, and posted them before John MacArthur released his book or did his conference... so... it was not based on J.M.s views, it was based on what the Bible says about strange fire...

Pblllltttt!!!!!!

To take one obscure verse and build a doctrine about it - then support it with extra-biblical writings and hearsay from 2,000 years ago is beneath even considering seriously.

IMHO - it is time better spent to share the Good News of the Gospel.

Upvote 0
P

prov1810

This is my problem with those I call heresy hunters. They turn to underhanded devices to do what they think is "God's Work". Their sin of lying is justified, because the "false teacher" must be made to pay by any means necessary; or so they seem to believe.

All I'm asking for is the truth. If a preacher actually did do something, then like the characters in the Bible, we can be certain that their hidden sin will be broadcasted from the rooftops... if and when God sees fit. I have no desire to hide men's sins, except in cases like Noah's sons covering him up when he got drunk.

But those who lie to unseat popular ministers also need to be exposed and rebuked. They definitely don't need any help from us! I don't care what these "false preachers" have done, nothing justifies telling lies about them. Let the truth speak for itself, and if that's not enough dissuade people from following them then it's out of our hands.

Right?

I don't dislike heresy hunters because they expose the truth. Only those who lack integrity and tell lies about what the person did or did not do. The ones who lack integrity, and use Satan's devices to do what they claim is a work for the Kingdom of God.
These discernment blogs use quotes and everyone can make up their own mind. The blogger might call a statement heresy, but if the statement hasn't been altered, it's not lying, it's an interpretation.

Upvote 0

Tobias

Relationship over Religion
Jan 8, 2004
California
✟21,764.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Private
These discernment blogs use quotes and everyone can make up their own mind. The blogger might call a statement heresy, but if the statement hasn't been altered, it's not lying, it's an interpretation.

Well yeah, Satan quoted scripture to Jesus and misrepresented it to mean something completely different. But he did quote the original... so I guess you are ok with that?

Don't all false teachers quote the Bible somewhere in their sermons? So as long as the original is quoted, you must be ok with them adding their own interpretations, right?

Personally I had hoped to hold Christians to a higher standard than what politicians and the secular media get away with. "It's true because... I have good lawyers so you can't successfully convict me of libel!

Upvote 0
P

prov1810

Well yeah, Satan quoted scripture to Jesus and misrepresented it to mean something completely different. But he did quote the original... so I guess you are ok with that?

Don't all false teachers quote the Bible somewhere in their sermons? So as long as the original is quoted, you must be ok with them adding their own interpretations, right?
You quoted my post and made conjectures about what I believe. Welcome to the club :hug:

Upvote 0

jiminpa

Supporter
Jul 4, 2004
✟277,974.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
You quoted my post and made conjectures about what I believe. Welcome to the club :hug:
...in an interactive forum where you are free to elaborate on your position.

The heresy hunters dig for decades old snippets to yank out of context and if they can't find anything, write inflammatory headlines that are not supported by the text and publish them on one-way forums. What's worse to be accused by deception of heresy, or to deceitfully accuse someone of heresy to make money and advance an agenda?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Biblicist

Full Gospel believer
Mar 27, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
✟43,594.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
My posts were 'heavily, totally, based on the Bible's views of 'strange fire'...
As much as I fully understand that you believe that you were doing this, I think that for most of us we probably saw a slightly different picture (hey…didn’t you close those threads down already?) Leaving this aside, even though this thread was intended to be little more than mentioning that Driscoll had attempted to enter into a meeting by a wayward brother, as Driscoll is something of a colourful personality, you can see how it has moved away from this event to being about Driscoll himself and undoubtedly we could spend reams and reams on him and never exhaust the subject.

Then of course there was poor old Simon Magus which even resulted in its own thread…

The only reason that I came across the article on Driscoll was when I was doing a Google ranking search on MacArthur and to my surprise I came across the article on Driscoll and with the search-string that I used it neared the bottom of the third page. If I had my way, I would have preferred to see someone like Gordon Fee, Wayne Grudem or D.A. Carson walking into the meeting but I suppose that Driscoll’s sojourn into the inner darkness of MacArthur’s world may impact those who move within similar circles to Driscoll.

The falsehood you defend mark driscoll for , and say it is wrong for 'heresy hunters' to lie... is a good argument,
I think that you might be referring to someone else and considering the speed which this particular thread undertook that could be an easy mistake to make.

… you speak untruthfully about me... I had those threads on Biblical strange fire, and posted them before John MacArthur released his book or did his conference... so... it was not based on J.M.s views, it was based on what the Bible says about strange fire...
This goes back to my earlier point and I really do appreciate that you are seeing a different picture to many others on this forum; of course, your choice of the threads title ‘strange fire’ is not something that is commonly encountered and as it also happened to be the already announced soon to be title of MacArthurs conference you should be able to appreciate that we probably wouldn’t view this as a coincidence.

As for Driscoll being a heresy hunter (if this was your intention), I think that he was probably someone who found himself near to this horrid conference where he probably thought, well, maybe my attendance there might actually help a few to realise that MacArthur is as usual, talking through his hat.

Upvote 0

Lovely Jar

Pray Out Loud
Jun 24, 2013
✟2,238.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Is it necessary for the secular media to cover this? Corporate media isn't exactly fond of covering Christian events unless to impugn Christianity and Christians.

There is something about Driscoll that just turns me away from his sermons. I don't know what it is but he's repellant.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Biblicist

Full Gospel believer
Mar 27, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
✟43,594.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Is it necessary for the secular media to cover this? Corporate media isn't exactly fond of covering Christian events unless to impugn Christianity and Christians.

There is something about Driscoll that just turns me away from his sermons. I don't know what it is but he's repellant.
In an earlier post the point was raised that this type of behaviour can easily be picked up by the secular media which could very well have a negative affect on the church, but in this case, it seems to have remained in-house.

Upvote 0

Biblicist

Full Gospel believer
Mar 27, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
✟43,594.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
The strange-fire of John MacArthurs world

As much as I find any material that has been produced by John MacArthur to be a bit of an irrelevant yawn, there has certainly been one positive outcome with his worldly conference in that it has allowed many who once thought that he was a legitimate ministry to see that he is simply a wolf in sheeps clothing.

Thecripplegate.com
Comments made by John MacArthur during the conference:
“There are others who criticized by saying, “You’re attacking brothers.” I wish I could affirm that. We’ve said this one way or another this week: this is a movement made up largely of non-Christians”.
“But I’m convinced that the broader charismatic movement has opened the door to more theological error than any other theological aberration in this day. Liberalism, psychology, ecumenism, pragmatism, mysticism, are all bad. Nothing is as bad as Charismaticism because of its extensive impact. And once that kind of experientialism gets a foothold, there’s no brand of heresy that won’t ride it into the church.
Charismatic theology becomes the strange fire of our generation and we have no business flirting with it at any level".
At least now MacArthur has made it patently clear where he stands and it is certainly not on the side of the Cross, his worldly system of unbelief is simply that, unbelief which has been built on the failed teachings of those who rode before him.

Upvote 0

BlackSabb

Aug 31, 2006
✟18,140.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Why would any sane Christian take "Pastor" Driscoll seriously? The man is a chauvinistic misogynist of the worst variety and a proper loon.

This is the same man that encouraged on Facebook members of his church to submit who was the most effeminate man on his music team. Seriously? If I was a member of his church I would so tell Mr Driscoll off it's not funny. What sort of Christian leader does that?

Mr Driscoll highly values successful men and says that when you have a church with lots of professional, successful young men you have "everything". And when you have only women and the elderly in your church, like many mainline churches, you have "nothing". Mr Driscoll degrades women and "unsuccessful", non university/professional/non business men as nothing. I pity the truck driver who attends his church.

He blames the absence of young successful men in churches , the ones that matter, to women and feminisation of Christianity. From the music to the color schemes in churches.

And I have heard some of the most idiotic theology ever coming from the lame and absurd mouth of Mr Driscoll. When Jesus says to Peter, "You are Peter, and on this rock I will build my Church.....", Mr Driscoll claims that Jesus is saying this as a joke.

The only joke is Mark Driscoll. But no one is laughing. It's a sick joke.

It is an utter disgrace to Christianity that such a wordly, rude, abusive, arrogant man be a so called "Pastor", influencing other people to his bastardized brand of Christianity. If Rupert Murdoch or Donald Trump became Christians, I'm sure they'd be big fans of Mark Driscoll.

Last edited:
Upvote 0