Aug 25, 2004
Right coast
✟12,972.00
Faith
Methodist
Politics
US-Republican
newlamb said:
Normally, I would agree with this, but the British police do not have the violent history that the American police do.
And not all American Police have that reputation.
Montgomery County, Maryland
Prince Georges County, Maryland
Los Angeles, California

Not Alexandria, Virginia
High Point, North Carolina
Stigler, Oklahoma,
or Franklin Square, New York.

Upvote 0

Harpuia

Oldie... very very oldie...
Nov 9, 2004
Undisclosed
✟27,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Others
rosenherman said:
They are protecting me and my family from dying at the hands of lunatics. Better one petty criminal die for a crime he didn't commit that me because someone was afraid of making the right decision.

Heh. Good job.

But wasn't there a quote: "I'd rather let a thousand guilty men go free than convict one innocent."

Upvote 0

praying

Snazzy Title Goes Here
Site Supporter
Jan 9, 2004
New Jersey
✟86,040.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
hannabl said:
An open society is always vulnerable. If wew were to have the controls and security measures needed to protect us from terrorists our society would no longer be open, and we'd end up with a "Big Brother is watching and controlling you"-type of country.

I'm truly sorry for mankind that so many seems to think that better one innocent dead then risk missing a terrorist. That would be the same logic as saying, better som innocents executed (in one of the few countries that still have the capital punishment) or put in prison then to risk letting a guilt murderer go.

That IS scary! The thought "I want to protect my family, let's do that even if it costs innocent strangers their lives."

The police has expressed their 'regrets'.

The circumstances many of you have brought up (recent bombings, house under survailliance sp? ) can only explain, but never excuse the incident.

The state killing an innicent human being is NOT just an unfortunate incident.

I'm not saying that we should hang the policemen (as capital punishment is barbaric), not even send them to prison. They acted on orders that allowed them yo kill. They made a (huge) mistake.

But this SHOULD however give us food for thought. How far are we willing to go? Should we lose our freedom? Should people have themselves to blame if police mistakes them for terrorists?

We're talking how much of our freedom (to use a worn out word), our basic human rights (the right to live) we are prepared to give up to feel somewhat safe, from terrorists that is.

To understand the policemen is not the same thing as saying they were in their 'right'. This is not just about this shooting, but about the future structure of society.

:thumbsup: An excellent post.

Upvote 0

praying

Snazzy Title Goes Here
Site Supporter
Jan 9, 2004
New Jersey
✟86,040.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
rosenherman said:
And not all American Police have that reputation.
Montgomery County, Maryland
Prince Georges County, Maryland
Los Angeles, California

Not Alexandria, Virginia
High Point, North Carolina
Stigler, Oklahoma,
or Franklin Square, New York.

No they don't so? It is still enough do to make me leary.

Upvote 0

Scribbler

Ignoring all links to Huffington Post
Dec 9, 2004
right behind you.
Visit site
✟25,722.00
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
hannabl said:
The police has expressed their 'regrets'.

By putting regrets in quotation marks, are you suggesting that their regret was less than sincere? The police officer was reqired to make a split-second decision. The decision he made ended in tragedy, a tragedy he will have to live with for the rest of his life. Let's not belittle that, please.

Upvote 0

hannabl

Dec 8, 2004
Göteborg
✟8,655.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Scribbler said:
By putting regrets in quotation marks, are you suggesting that their regret was less than sincere? The police officer was reqired to make a split-second decision. The decision he made ended in tragedy, a tragedy he will have to live with for the rest of his life. Let's not belittle that, please.

You misunderstood me. I have no doubts whatsoever that the individual policemen were sincere. The individual policemen are going through a horrible time, and I feel for them.

By 'police' I meant the ppoliceforce, the state. And since tehy hafveb't change dtheir routines (they are still allowed to kill), and since they only expressed their regrets (I excpected something more) then I'm unwilling to accept their regret.

I got the impression that they regret an unfortunate incident, but think that these things happen and that individuals are disposable in the fight against terror. And THAT I don not agree with.

Killing a person is not an embarrasing incident you regret, it ha sto be taken seriously.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

praying

Snazzy Title Goes Here
Site Supporter
Jan 9, 2004
New Jersey
✟86,040.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
hannabl said:
I got the impression that they regret an unfortunate incident, but think that these things happen and that individuals are disposable in the fight against terror. And THAT I don not agree with.

Well it would seem that some here definitely have this opinion.

Upvote 0

Scribbler

Dec 9, 2004
right behind you.
Visit site
✟25,722.00
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
mhatten said:
Well it would seem that some here definitely have this opinion.

Innocents were killed in every war since time began, I'm sure. The Civil War, WW2 and so on. Innocent blood is unavoidable. In letting that guide our actions, the only alternative is simply not to do anything, and hope for the best. This man could've passed for Middle Eastern, he came wearing a heavy coat (in July) from a house being watched, and when confronted, jumped a turnstile and made a beeline for the subway. In my mind, and the officers too, this is exactly the action a suicide bomber would have taken. His behavior couldn't have been more suspicious unless he had a bomb strapped to his chest (though we wouldn't have seen it with that jacket, would we have?) I applaud the officers for their quick thinking, and regret the outcome. But, Had he been a suicide bomber, and the police let him go, would any of you stand up for their actions? What would you say then?

"Sorry for the innocent blood, but these things happen?"

Upvote 0

rosenherman

Sparkly rainbow butterfly kitten
Aug 25, 2004
Right coast
✟12,972.00
Faith
Methodist
Politics
US-Republican
Scribbler said:
Innocents were killed in every war since time began, I'm sure. The Civil War, WW2 and so on. Innocent blood is unavoidable. In letting that guide our actions, the only alternative is simply not to do anything, and hope for the best. This man could've passed for Middle Eastern, he came wearing a heavy coat (in July) from a house being watched, and when confronted, jumped a turnstile and made a beeline for the subway. In my mind, and the officers too, this is exactly the action a suicide bomber would have taken. His behavior couldn't have been more suspicious unless he had a bomb strapped to his chest (though we wouldn't have seen it with that jacket, would we have?) I applaud the officers for their quick thinking, and regret the outcome. But, Had he been a suicide bomber, and the police let him go, would any of you stand up for their actions? What would you say then?

"Sorry for the innocent blood, but these things happen?"
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Scribbler again.

Upvote 0

ScottishJohn

Contributor
Feb 3, 2005
Glasgow
✟16,690.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Had the person been a bomber, and had they detonated the bomb, I would not be blaming the police for failing to stop him, (precisely because of the reasons already stated on this thread - they had no solid evidence of his guilt), I would be blaming the suicide bomber for the bombing, but also George Bush Tony Blair and all their predecessors for the last 50 years for the moronic way in which they have treated the people of the middle east. REAP WHAT YOU SOW.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

JPPT1974

May 2024 Spring Fever!
Mar 18, 2004
Small Town, USA
✟569,989.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Scribbler said:

The police officer will live with that for the rest of his life. And that also he could either shoot or be shot at!

Upvote 0

rosenherman

Sparkly rainbow butterfly kitten
Aug 25, 2004
Right coast
✟12,972.00
Faith
Methodist
Politics
US-Republican
ScottishJohn said:
Had the person been a bomber, and had they detonated the bomb, I would not be blaming the police for failing to stop him, (precisely because of the reasons already stated on this thread - they had no solid evidence of his guilt), I would be blaming the suicide bomber for the bombing, but also George Bush Tony Blair and all their predecessors for the last 50 years for the moronic way in which they have treated the people of the middle east. REAP WHAT YOU SOW.
We have no control over what the middle easterners do. They are not citizens of our country. Your blame is misplaced, you should be blaming the maniacs that have ruled those countries.

Upvote 0

ScottishJohn

Contributor
Feb 3, 2005
Glasgow
✟16,690.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
rosenherman said:
We have no control over what the middle easterners do. They are not citizens of our country. Your blame is misplaced, you should be blaming the maniacs that have ruled those countries.

Some of whom have been our best mates and propped up by our governments: I am thinking of the Shah of Iran, General Musharraf in Pakistan, King Faisal in Iraq - the regime which begged to be overthrown and gave Saddam his leg up into politics, Saddam Hussein himself was used to fight possible soviet interference in Iran, never mind Bin Ladens CIA training, and so the list goes on. I do lay some blame with the maniacs, but also some with those who would seek to use them to fulfill their purposes with no thought to the welfare of their people. My blame is dead on target.

Upvote 0

Scribbler

Dec 9, 2004
right behind you.
Visit site
✟25,722.00
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
ScottishJohn said:
I would be blaming the suicide bomber for the bombing, but also George Bush Tony Blair and all their predecessors for the last 50 years for the moronic way in which they have treated the people of the middle east. REAP WHAT YOU SOW.

LOL, never mind that one was Jamaican...

Upvote 0

kiwimac

Bishop of the See of Aotearoa ROCCNZ;Theologian
Site Supporter
May 14, 2002
New Zealand
Visit site
✟592,518.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Utrecht
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
You are, I know, simply missing the point.

An innocent man died, he was NOT shot while running, no he was PINNED to the ground and shot 8 times, 8 TIMES.

Kiwimac

Upvote 0