Male Gynecologists

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

PrivateWoman

I find it hard to believe that so many Christians preach that women should dress modestly, but they don't see anything wrong with male gynecologists. Male gynecologists are definitely not morally above other men.

This is one of the most difficult issues most Christians have never thought about because we are taught that we should not question the medical industry and that it's okay for them to do anything. That is insane. God has the same expectations of everyone. Medical professionals are not above us morally.

Let me share my story. I am almost 30 years old and still a virgin. I think I saw that something was wrong with male gynecologists around 1987 or1988 (21-22 years ago) when I was just 8 years old. I found out what a male gynecologist was when I was 8 years old and I’m still very shocked that they exist. Yes, my mom had a male gynecologist. Both my sister and I were delivered by a male ob/gyn. My mom actually had a c section with both of us. I questioned her a lot when I was a kid. At that time, she just pretty much ignored me. I didn’t understand because I was told as a kid that my father could not see me any more after a certain age. I didn’t get it how it was different for a strange male doctor. I think that my mom’s answer was something like “It’s different because he’s a doctor”. I didn’t buy my mom’s explanation because I knew that both the doctor and my father are men. They are no different. But over the past several years, she has changed her mind. She has decided she will no longer go to a male gynecologist because of some things I’ve brought attention to her so that’s good news. I see my mom as an innocent victim of the medical industry. I’ve convinced 25 year old sister to not go to a male gynecologist ever.

When I made the commitment to True Love Waits as a teenager, I also thought about how I was never going to let another man (including doctor) other than my future husband to have access to certain parts of my body. It will probably be a pleasant surprise to my future husband since he might have never really thought about it. The truth is he was probably delivered by a male gynecologist just like I was since he would probably have been born sometime in the 1970s. I would let him know that I love him too much to let another man other than him have access to certain parts of my body. I am so thankful that God enlightened me on this subject because I get to give my future husband another special gift in addition to my virginity. It’s a priceless gift. I would not even go to a male gynecologist for $1 Million.

I am not against doctors at all, but I believe that God has the same expectations of them as us. I don’t care about the gender of the doctor when I go in for an ear infection or strep throat. I am speaking about private things. I believe that God only intended for women to be gynecologists. The good news is that 80% of ob/gyn residency students are female now.

I know that people often don’t question the medical industry. The truth is medical professionals are not above us morally. God has done a lot of wonderful things through doctors, but I don’t get it how it could be okay for men to do intimate exams on women who are not their wives. There were no intimate exams on women in the bible. I also know that babies were delivered by midwives in the bible. There is nowhere in the Bible that supports male doctors examining and looking at private parts of women who are not their wives. I have always felt like only women belonged to the ob/gyn field. I do know that in 1970 only 5% of the gynecologists were women. But we should not go by our culture because a lot of things in our culture have been wrong. There is not one word that mentions abortion in the bible, but there are several verses that support why abortion is wrong. For instance, abortion is murder. Look at this verse for example about how God feels about the unborn: For YOU created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother’s womb. I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful I know that full well.” Psalm 139: 13-14. Look at Proverbs 6:17. Abortion didn’t exist in the biblical time. The bible preaches against nudity before the opposite sex except for between a husband and a wife. I don’t see anything wrong with seeing naked kids of the opposite sex in a certain age range. It’s not a big deal to see a 2 year old boy or girl running naked because he/she has not sexually matured yet.

I decided to reread the book, “Not Even a Hint” by Joshua Harris. I’m not sure if you’ve ever read that book. I was disappointed that he didn't talk any about male gynecologists in his book. Joshua is a wonderful Christian pastor. He admits that he struggles with lust sometimes. He made a decision that he could no longer go to a certain beach in Florida because many women there were dressed immodestly and he struggled with thoughts. He also made a decision that he could not look at any catalogs that had lingerie in them and that his wife had to look through them. I know for sure that Joshua didn’t think to himself, I am going to that beach to enjoy women. I believe that many Christian men never intend to look at inappropriate contentography at all to lust, but they choose to install inappropriate contento filters to prevent themselves from accidentally seeing inappropriate contentography. Every man is going to struggle with lustful thoughts no matter how strong Christian he is. A male gynecologist is a man and you cannot take “man” out of him. I find it very strange that many people think that male gynecologists don’t ever have lustful thoughts. Look at this example about Joshua. He never saw those women completely naked or examined their private parts and he had some thoughts. How in the world is it possible for a male gynecologist to never have any thoughts when he is between a woman’s legs and looking at her private parts? I know what goes on in a pelvic examination. I think it is strange that people think that male gynecologists are less likely than other men to have lustful thoughts especially when they actually get to see the woman naked and touch her private parts. I heard that male doctors in medical schools are taught to keep those thoughts to themselves. Most doctors don’t “act” on thoughts by going all way, but the Bible is very clear that there should not even be a hint of lust/impurity (Ephesians 5:3). There may be times when a male gynecologist examines a woman who is not attractive or smells terrible, but how is it okay for him to examine her private parts because she is not married to him? I’ve heard this crazy statement: Male gynecologists go to medical schools and they are trained to not have those sexual thoughts. If that was the case, why cannot teachers, pastors, electricians, computer programmers, accountants, firemen, and other men go through schools to train themselves to not have lustful thoughts? They are all men. Dr. Dobson from Focus on Family said that men are visually aroused by naked women’s bodies. I’ve heard this argument: Male gynecologists have seen so many private parts that they don’t lust anymore. If that was true, why do men who look at inappropriate contentography continue to look at them? They see so many private parts of women. If this was true that they got tired, the men who look at inappropriate contentography a lot would get tired and stop lusting. I heard that professors in medical schools understand that male doctors are going to lust so they encourage them to just keep those lustful thoughts to themselves. I am sure that so many women have gone to a male gynecologist not realizing how he might be enjoying doing the intimate exams on them and what’s really in his mind.

The issue of male gynecologist is a very touchy and difficult issue. I have learned so much this year and last year from a group called “How Husbands Feel About GYN Exams”. There are some men in this group whose marriages were hurt because their wives went to a male gynecologist. Some of the men in this group are not even Christians and they see that male gynecologists are not right.

I am not against doctors and medical care at all. But I believe that men have no business being gynecologists. For example, I would not mind a male doctor tending to my knee as long as I was fully clothed. You know what I mean. I was very glad to hear that one male medical student in the “How Husbands Feel About Gyn Exams” talking about how his uncle, a family practice doctor refused to do any pelvic exams on females and that he let a female doctor in his practice handle all of the pelvic exams. I’m very proud of this male family practice doctor. We need more doctors who will stand up for what is right. If I was a female family practice doctor, I would refuse to do intimate examinations on male patients simply because I’m not married to them. I would be glad to treat them for other things that are not personal such as knee problem, diabetes, etc. I really don’t understand how mothers encourage their daughters to go to a male gynecologist, but they are upset if another man digitally penetrates their daughter with his fingers. I know that female patients submit to this, but it was because they were brainwashed that doctors can do anything. I can see how sometimes male gynecologists might not lust when a woman gives birth because I saw a lot of blood in some of the childbirth videos. I’ve heard that sometimes there’s poop from the baby or the lady so that’s gross. I’ve heard this argument from medical professionals: there are some gross things. I can agree with that, but it is still not okay for a male doctor to see the private parts of a woman who he is not married to. I feel like only female medical professionals and the husband of the woman should be there for the childbirth.

Some people say that male gynecologists are not sexual. My big question is how do they have family? If male gynecologists were not sexual, they would never have sex with their wives period.

I read a story of a teenage boy who was 14 years old. He shared a room with his 14 year old twin sister. He was embarrassed, but he said that it was very hard for him to stay pure in thoughts when he saw his sister changing clothes because she was attractive. I am pretty sure that every male gynecologist has had thoughts when they examine women no matter how much self control they may have. They just keep those thoughts to themselves most of the time.

Even if I could be guaranteed that a male gynecologist doesn’t have sexual thoughts, I still believe it is wrong. If it was not wrong, then I guess it must be okay for fathers to see their teenage or adult daughters naked.

In my biology class in high school, some boys giggled when the teacher showed a childbirth video and the lady’s private parts were exposed. What does that tell you?

My heart really goes to the male gynecologist’s wife. It’s sad that he sees so many women naked and touches their private parts. Rubber gloves make no difference. They are just to protect the male gynecologist from getting germs on his hands. The male gynecologist’s wife is not special at all. I am sure that he sees some women that probably have prettier bodies than his wife. I believe that God only intended one woman for each grown adult man to see naked and that’s their wife. The wife should be the only woman the husband should see naked based on common sense and Leviticus 18.

I feel like most women who have gone to male gynecologists are innocent victims of the medical industry. About 95% of women above the age of 45 have been to a male gynecologist at least one time in their life time. I know they set up appointments with a male doctor, but I believe it is because they fell to the cultural blind spot from the previous generation.

One lady that posted about patient modesty said the below paragraph and I agree with it.

The bond between a husband and wife is very special because each has pledged themselves to the other. This bond is strengthened and encouraged by the modesty of the couple. Saving some things to be admired solely by one’s spouse gives a sense of privilege, honor and intimacy. Anytime a person exposes their body to a member of the opposite sex they take away a part of the marriage intimacy and chance weakening the bonds between a husband and wife. This intimacy is further weakened by the encouragement of the medical establishment for women to expect to be examined intimately and for a woman to reveal intimate thoughts to her doctor, regardless of the reason for the visit to the doctor.

I hope more women in my generations will never go to male gynecologists in their whole lives just like me. I am encouraged to read on the Internet that 80% of ob/gyn residency students are female now. Men who want to be doctors should choose another specialty that would not require them to examine teenage or adult women patients intimately. It is certainly possible for a family practice doctor to make the decision he will not do anything gynecological and refer all women to a woman doctor for those things. If I were a family practice doctor, I would make it clearly to all of my male patients that I will not do any intimate male examinations on them and I will refer them to male doctors for those things.

I know of one guy in nursing school who was very upset when he was told that he had to do breast exams on some of female medical students. He ended up not having to do that. But unfortunately, he ended up giving in to doing some intimate things with women patients later on when he actually started working.

Reactions: James_G
P

PrivateWoman

Please also look at a posting I made to Leslie Ludy who wrote several books including "When God Writes Your Love Story" with her husband, Eric. Look at how she responded. I did this 6 years ago. I felt so alone in my conviction for years. It's nice to know I am not the only one with this conviction. Is there anyone on this forum who feels the same way as I do?

Upvote 0

Gishin

Apr 25, 2008
Midwest City, Oklahoma
✟6,461.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
The idea that men have no control over themselves when it comes to women is the reason burqas were invented. I don't think you give men enough credit. Personally I wonder how gynecologists get aroused at all. When you look at vaginas for a living I'm sure you're bound to get desensitized.

Reactions: seashale76
Upvote 0

Gishin

Apr 25, 2008
Midwest City, Oklahoma
✟6,461.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
That's the mentality my mother had about her doctor: "He's so much older than you and he's been a doctor for years. He sees naked women all the time." This was after I told her that he had been "inappropriate" with me.
Therefore all male ob/gyns will molest you? I'm sorry you had that experience but I stand by my statement.

Upvote 0
P

PrivateWoman

That's the mentality my mother had about her doctor: "He's so much older than you and he's been a doctor for years. He sees naked women all the time." This was after I told her that he had been "inappropriate" with me.

I am so sorry to hear about your bad experience. Unfortunately, some male gynecologists have crossed the lines and actually abused patients. There are some disgusting sexual misconduct cases by doctors in the news. I am sure that they were "nice" doctors who people trusted.

Most male gynecologists would never abuse patients, but they do have thoughts when they examine private parts of women. Even if I could be assured that they didn't lust, I still feel it is wrong. I don't think it is appropriate for a man to see private parts of a woman who he is not married to. Male gynecologists are humans. There are so many other medical specialties he could choose from. I am amazed that people think male gynecologists are asexual. If that was the case, how come many of them are married with children?

Upvote 0

bliz

Contributor
Jun 5, 2004
Here
✟14,830.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If you feel a personal conviction by God about such matters, by all means, do not go to a male gynecologist.

But if you are going to try and sell all of us on this notion and have women only go to female gynecologist, you're asking a whole lot of women to wait for a very long time before their next appointment, and I don't want to think about how many pap smears will be postponed and how many woman's lives will be put at risk and lost because of your plan.

You greatly overestimate the irresistible allure of female genitalia. You greatly underestimate how controllable men's sexual thoughts and urges are. We are made in the image of God and we can and do make choices to behave appropriatly. Aren't you worried about lesbian obgyns?

Reactions: HELENz
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Bushido216

Aug 30, 2003
New York
✟22,562.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Democrat
Wow.

This truly is a terrible issue. If only we could choose our own medical professionals, then we wouldn't constantly be forced to show our genitalia to opposite sex doctors. If only that was the case...

Oh wait.

Edit: I don't mean to trivialize victims. But the truth is that it's a separate issue. Doctors who abuse their patients isn't the same as male OB/GYNs (or female GPs or whatever). If you feel that no men should be allowed to be OB/GYNs, that's I guess a valid moral issue... but it's an issue that you need to take up with the entire medical field, including female doctors who examine male patients, and not just be all "eww male doctors looking at girl parts". That's sexist and inappropriate.

Upvote 0

Bushido216

Aug 30, 2003
New York
✟22,562.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Democrat
Can I ask where the Bible specifically says that no one but a husband and wife can see each others naked bodies?

For whatever it's worth, I don't know that it's anywhere specifically in the Bible (I may be wrong, I'm no scholar), but I think any brand of Christianity, anywhere, will basically state that your body is an area of modesty only to be set aside for one's partner. If you're Catholic, that means spouse. Presumably other brands of Christianity are more or less strict about this.

Look, for however much I think the OP typed 1000 words of nothing, I don't mean to belittle a potentially interesting moral question. I think it's sexist to single out male doctors, but the question of having a doctor examining intimate parts of our body when they might be attracted to those organs is a valid question and has every right to be considered.

Upvote 0

dinonum

Senior Veteran
Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
Indiana
✟29,804.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
For whatever it's worth, I don't know that it's anywhere specifically in the Bible (I may be wrong, I'm no scholar), but I think any brand of Christianity, anywhere, will basically state that your body is an area of modesty only to be set aside for one's partner. If you're Catholic, that means spouse. Presumably other brands of Christianity are more or less strict about this.

Look, for however much I think the OP typed 1000 words of nothing, I don't mean to belittle a potentially interesting moral question. I think it's sexist to single out male doctors, but the question of having a doctor examining intimate parts of our body when they might be attracted to those organs is a valid question and has every right to be considered.
While I agree with the latter, scripture is more concerned about trying to prevent the minds of others from wandering than condemning nudity all together. The purpose of checking ones vaginal area or breasts is not for sexual gain, it is for medical purposes.

That question is valid though whether a person is sexually stimulated and enjoys the job too much, and I'd definitely encourage anyone to leave a doctor if they are made to feel uncomfortable and if you feel that a doctor has crossed a line to report them to the proper authorities. Painting all OB/GYN's as perverts or lustful OR painting all women who use a male OB/GYN as immodest, I don't think that's called for or justifiable at all.

Upvote 0

mpok1519

Veteran
Jul 8, 2007
✟28,850.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Wow; there's so much wrong with this thread it's hard to begin.

1) gynecologists are there to assist you on your health; they didn't ecome obgyns to satisfy their sexual desire to study and stare at vaginas while getting paid. To generalize male obgyns as molesters and crooks is unfair. They're not at all attracted to your woman parts in any perverted or sexual manner. Sure I bet there's a few bad apples out there but that should not form your opinions predominantely.

2) Grow up. You're adults. To think male gynecologists are all perverts who just want o molest you legally is immature, and quite insulting.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
P

PrivateWoman

Can I ask where the Bible specifically says that no one but a husband and wife can see each others naked bodies?

You have asked a hard question. There were no pap smears in the bible at all. If you read throughout the Bible, you will find that midwives delivered babies.

Leviticus 18 prohibits nakedness in front of the opposite sex except for your spouse. A pastor preached against male gynecologists 4 years ago and you can find his sermon at http://www.faithfulwordbaptist.org/gynecologists.html. I want to make it very clear that there are many things I don't agree with him. I think he did a great job preaching on male gynecologists. However, I feel that his last sentence was a little too harsh because many Christians have never thought about this. We have been taught that we should not question anything the medical industry does.

If it is okay for women to be naked in front of male gynecologists, why is it wrong for them to be naked in front of other men such as their pastor, counselor, plumber, etc. Medicine doesn't make it blindly acceptable.

My mom went to a male gynecologist for many years. But after I brought this issue to her attention as an adult, she realized that male gynecologists were wrong. She has not been to a male gynecologist in about 11 years now. I asked her if she thought my dad could be a gynecologist and stay pure in thoughts all of the time and she said no. I personally think that Christian women who have gone to male gynecologist in the past should simply switch to a female gynecologist. I believe my mom was an innocent victim of the medical industry.

You should check out what a male doctor who was convinced that gynecological exams were wrong and gave up doing them at Male Gynecologist - Topix. I think he was a family practice doctor.

Upvote 0

Gishin

Apr 25, 2008
Midwest City, Oklahoma
✟6,461.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
If it is okay for women to be naked in front of male gynecologists, why is it wrong for them to be naked in front of other men such as their pastor, counselor, plumber, etc. Medicine doesn't make it blindly acceptable.
Does their pastor, counselor, plumber, etc. need to look at their vagina to do their job?

If you were in a traumatic injury, would you care much when the paramedics cut your shirt off to treat you? Medicine trumps modesty. If someone is being unprofessional that's a separate issue, but there is nothing inherently wrong with male ob/gyns. If you don't want one, don't go see one, but it's not wrong to go see one.

Also, I have to question your pastor you're listening to. Here's another quote from him.

Let me tell you something: Barack Obama has wrought lewdness in America. America has become lewd. What does lewd mean? L-E-W-D? [Pause] Obscene. Right? Dirty. Filthy. Homosexuality. Promiscuity. All of the -- everything that's on the billboard, the TV. Sensuality. Lewdness! We don't even know what lewdness means anymore! We're just surrounded by it, inundated with it!

... And yet you're going to tell me that I'm supposed to pray for the socialist devil, murderer, infanticide, who wants to see young children and he wants to see babies killed through abortion and partial-birth abortion and all these different things -- you're gonna tell me I'm supposed to pray for God to give him a good lunch tomorrow while he's in Phoenix, Arizona. Nope. I'm not gonna pray for his good. I'm going to pray that he dies and goes to hell. When I go to bed tonight, that's what I'm going to pray. And you say, 'Are you just saying that?' No. When I go to bed tonight, Steven L. Anderson is going to pray for Barack Obama to die and go to hell.

I think this man is a little unsettled and obsessed, and should probably be the last person you take advice from.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

mpok1519

Veteran
Jul 8, 2007
✟28,850.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Being naked is apart of the medical procedure. It is necssary and pertinent to the observation of one's health. The hypocratic oath they took swears them to do no harm, and no harm is done from a male observing a woman's vagina to make sure she is healthy.

It has nothing to do with sexual lust in any sense. Whatever fears you have concerning this issue are unreasonable foolish and silly.

Immature is also a good word. Common sense would suggest that you need to stop listening to whoever is filling your mind with this nonsense.

Upvote 0
P

PrivateWoman

Does their pastor, counselor, plumber, etc. need to look at their vagina to do their job?

If you were in a traumatic injury, would you care much when the paramedics cut your shirt off to treat you? Medicine trumps modesty. If someone is being unprofessional that's a separate issue, but there is nothing inherently wrong with male ob/gyns. If you don't want one, don't go see one, but it's not wrong to go see one.

Also, I have to question your pastor you're listening to. Here's another quote from him.

I think this man is a little unsettled and obsessed, and should probably be the last person you take advice from.

Pastor, plumber, and counselor don't see private parts. But my point is they are men. Male gynecologists do same things as them. Male gynecologists are men. Male gynecologists are not asexual. They are aroused by seeing their wives' private parts. Men should not be gynecologists at all period. There are so many other medical specialties they could choose from.

To respond to what you said about that pastor, I don't agree with him on many things. I don't appreciate what he said about Obama. I think he should pray for Obama to become a Christian. I didn't want to mention his sermon in the beginning because there are so many things I don't agree with him on. I believe that abortion is wrong of course, but God has changed many people's hearts about abortion. Look at how God changed one abortion doctor at Beverly McMillan: Former Abortionist. She now owns a big all female ob/gyn practice in Misssissippi.

I have one childhood friend who was bisexual for a few years and God delivered her from homosexuality. Praise the Lord she became a Christian.

Upvote 0

Yusuf Evans

Aug 17, 2005
Iraq
✟13,433.00
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Married
This is along the lines that if a man wants to be a teacher in elementary school, then most likely he's attracted to little kids and should be looked at with suspicion. As much crying about equal rights women have done over the years, are you seriously complaining that a man cannot have enough integrity and professionalism to do this job?

If it bothers women so much to have a male Gyno, go find a female one. It's that simple. Stop complaining about someone doing this job, just because you're too hung up on their gender.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.