Making children attend Christian school assemblies undermines human rights, United Nations warns

Oafman

Try telling that to these bog brained murphys
Dec 19, 2012
Malice
✟28,559.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
UK-Labour
Making children attend Christian school assemblies undermines human rights, United Nations warns
Britain must stop forcing children to attend Christian school assemblies because it undermines their human rights, a United Nations committee has said in a controversial new report.

The authors called on ministers to repeal a law demanding a daily act of Christian worship at schools because it may contradict a child’s “freedom of thought, conscience and religion”.

The report was produced by an 18-person group of “independent experts” of "high moral character" including representatives from Bahrain, Russia and Egypt.
Lol. Possible slant from the journo there - perhaps the group contained people from countries with more human rights credibility?!
----
So, should compulsory Christian assemblies be banned?

Personally I think not. Confronting children with such obvious indoctrination is an effective tool for creating free thinkers.

Thursday

Jan 12, 2016
Texas
✟49,429.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married

Lol. Possible slant from the journo there - perhaps the group contained people from countries with more human rights credibility?!
----

Personally I think not. Confronting children with such obvious indoctrination is an effective tool for creating free thinkers.

No one is forced to attend a Christian school, so this is a silly statement from the UN. Not the first time or the last!

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

----

The toothless UN trying to undermine UK sovereignty. Too funny.

Your country has the Church of England as their established church/religion. No way around that unless the monarchy abdicates.

Upvote 0

Oafman

Dec 19, 2012
Malice
✟28,559.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
UK-Labour
No one is forced to attend a Christian school, so this is a silly statement from the UN. Not the first time or the last!
They are if the school whose catchment area they are in is Christian.

Your country has the Church of England as their established church/religion. No way around that unless the monarchy abdicates.
We live in hope....

Upvote 0
Jul 12, 2010
United Kingdom
✟226,288.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private

----

I agree. All the pointless prayers, that did nothing, all the silly hymns we had to sing (if we didn't we'd be made to stand up so that everyone could stare as we were told off) and every few months we would have a condescending Christian guy come in to talk to us like we were all 5 years old; it really solidified my atheism.

Upvote 0

bhillyard

Mar 1, 2010
U.K.
✟275,879.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
The report was about Britain. In England it is a legal requirement that all state schools start the day with an assembly that must be christian. It is not a matter of parents choosing a Christian school. The only way out would be to choose a private school that does not have christian assemblies.

Reactions: Rick Otto
Upvote 0

amariselle

Jesus Never Fails
Sep 28, 2004
The Great Northern Wilderness
✟60,500.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives

----

I think children need to be taught that the Christian faith and following Jesus is their choice. That is how my parents raised me and my siblings. Jesus doesn't force anyone to believe in Him or accept Him, and we shouldn't either.

Also, Christianity isn't just about ritual or tradition, it needs to go beyond that. No one should be forced into it.

However, this also goes for other belief systems be they Muslim, Buddhist, Hindu, Atheistic etc.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Oafman

Dec 19, 2012
Malice
✟28,559.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
UK-Labour
Does this include compulsory prayers at the Mosque, the park, the...anywhere, in a Muslim country?
I'm not sure if this report covered any other countries. I mean, it would be hard for them to know where to start with some of them.

Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
Up your nose....wid a rubbah hose.
✟366,121.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
I don't know what brittain has for the separation of church and state, so I wouldn't really want to comment.

It does bother me when countries with abysmal human rights records get an opportunity to play a higher moral card.

That said, there are not many countries with a blemish free human rights records...

Upvote 0

Redac

Jul 16, 2007
California
✟167,609.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I'm not sure if this report covered any other countries. I mean, it would be hard for them to know where to start with some of them.
Lol, apparently they decided that the UK was the best place to start when looking to correct human rights abuses.

Upvote 0

ChristsSoldier115

Mabaho na Kuya
Jul 30, 2013
The greatest state in the Union: Ohio
✟26,502.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Lol, apparently they decided that the UK was the best place to start when looking to correct human rights abuses.
Ever notice how they avoid all the countries we get oil or other "important" resources from that do human rights abuses? Funny that. Greed truly is one of the worse sins imaginable.

Upvote 0

Chesterton

Whats So Funny bout Peace Love and Understanding
Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟866,109.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I agree. All the pointless prayers, that did nothing, all the silly hymns we had to sing (if we didn't we'd be made to stand up so that everyone could stare as we were told off) and every few months we would have a condescending Christian guy come in to talk to us like we were all 5 years old; it really solidified my atheism.

Really solidified your atheism. So...this is an argument for, or against? :scratch:

Reactions: Uncle Siggy
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

USincognito

a post by Alan Smithee
Site Supporter
Dec 25, 2003
Dallas
✟870,771.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
If any of you are actually interested, you can download the report and view the members of the panel.
Membership
http://www.ohchr.org/EN/HRBodies/CRC/Pages/Membership.aspx
MS Word copy of report
http://tbinternet.ohchr.org/_layout...Download.aspx?symbolno=CRC/C/GBR/CO/5&Lang=en
Relevant section
Freedom of thought, conscience and religion

1. The Committee is concerned that pupils are required by law to take part in a daily religious worship which is “wholly or mainly of a broadly Christian character” in publicly funded schools in England and Wales, and that children do not have the right to withdraw from such worship without parental permission before entering the sixth form. In Northern Ireland and Scotland, children do not have right to withdraw from collective worship without parental permission.​

Reactions: Oafman
Upvote 0

Rick Otto

The Dude Abides
Nov 19, 2002
On The Prairie
✟29,593.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
----

Said the guy from the country with more people in prison than China has.

Upvote 0

Rick Otto

The Dude Abides
Nov 19, 2002
On The Prairie
✟29,593.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Ever notice how they avoid all the countries we get oil or other "important" resources from that do human rights abuses? Funny that. Greed truly is one of the worse sins imaginable.
Good eye.

Upvote 0

Rick Otto

The Dude Abides
Nov 19, 2002
On The Prairie
✟29,593.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I felt the same way, except it solidified my personal faith and confirmed my suspicions about "The One True Church".

Upvote 0