wisconsin
✟7,702.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
My daughter lied in school today and got 5 demerits for it. I am shocked she lied because she has never done that before. I am not sure how to punish her because it has never happened before. I took tv away for the evening but not sure what else to do. I am not a spanking parent unless it is really bad.

Prayers needed.

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,008.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
A couple of comments. (I should note that I'm not a parent, but that I work with kids at Church.(

You ask about punishment. But you haven’t said why she lied. Do you know? I’d start out by trying to understand what happened and why before considering punishment.

Assuming she actually did lie (schools do make mistakes), the Sunday School kids I teach seem to lie primarily because they’re afraid. They don’t want to upset their parents, or they’re afraid of being punished. Maybe punishing them for lying will help, but maybe it will make them more afraid and more likely to lie in the future.

The school has already done something. You’ve already done something. None of the psychological evidence I know suggests that more or more severe punishment is going to help. What matters is to hold people accountable for their actions (and in fact there are ways to do that other than punishment). At this point I’d suggest trying to understand what happened, and see what you and your daughter working together can do to prevent it in the future.

Reactions: Darkhorse
Upvote 0

homeofmew

Master Trainer
Site Supporter
May 29, 2005
Houston, Texas
Visit site
✟28,964.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
The teacher told me what she lied about and my daughter confirmed it.

My daughter lied about not having her bible and then it fell out of her lap.

Thanks for the advice.

I hope that she does not lie again in the future.

Was it because she didn't want to read out loud?
I hate it when they call on you to do that.

5 Demerits is pretty steep.

Upvote 0