Please help me help. followingfaith.moo.no
Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
✟7,622.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I have not yet found the church that is right for me. I was hoping you could help?

After loosing my only loved one a few years back i fell into a deep depression and was abusing alcohol and drugs for years. I recently found faith, and the path god have given me. I will dedicate my life to missionary work. And i am searching for a church that can help me help others.

If you like to, you can read a bit more here: followingfaith.moo.no
Thanks for your support. :) It is sorely needed.

What are Lutherans view on missionary work? Would you say this is the right church for me? I whish to make a difference. I know i have the lord on my side, but i will also need a charible church around me. And your help. So i can dedicate my life to helping those who need it.

filosofer

Senior Veteran
Feb 8, 2002
Visit site
✟6,913.00
Faith
Lutheran
Greetings. I can’t speak for everyone, but I am dedicated to missionary work here and overseas. We have many hurting people who need Jesus. I have battled depression and in the past year have started writing about it. Now that has opened doors to minister to others in my congregation, and I have been invited to speak at pastors’ conferences.

Reaching people for Christ is simply speaking and being available for whoever God puts in our way. To me that is mission work.

Regardless of where you go, I would support your desire to serve this way.

Upvote 0

cerette

Feb 2, 2008
Canada
✟17,321.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
It's wonderful to wish to do missionary work. It can be done both near and far, there are people in need all over the world.
Here you can read some journals by missionaries from the church I belong to:
Missionary Journals

I truly admire those who are willing and able to go to other parts of the world to share God's love. But I also admire those who do work for God's kingdom nearer to home as well, and maybe that is a good place to start?

Upvote 0

QuiltAngel

Veteran
Apr 10, 2006
Somewhere on planet earth
✟15,847.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I have done short term mission trips and am getting ready to go on another one.

We have a sign above our door at church as we leave that says "You Are Now Entering the Mission Field." It reminds us that all the world is a mission field.

My advice to you would be to find a church where you agree with the theology and doctrine, join it and then use the resources they have either through the congregation or the larger church body.

What about Lutheran is there that you are looking at Lutherans?

Upvote 0

Tangible

Decision Theology = Ex Opere Operato
May 29, 2009
cruce tectum
Visit site
✟59,743.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Like most churches since about the 1980s the LCMS focuses its formal overseas missionary activities on training and building up the national churches. There are very few preachers sent any more, but quite a few seminary teachers, translators, and church advisers.

Here is a really good mission organization: Lutherans in Africa

Upvote 0

filosofer

Senior Veteran
Feb 8, 2002
Visit site
✟6,913.00
Faith
Lutheran
I have not yet found the church that is right for me. I was hoping you could help?

After loosing my only loved one a few years back i fell into a deep depression and was abusing alcohol and drugs for years. I recently found faith, and the path god have given me. I will dedicate my life to missionary work. And i am searching for a church that can help me help others.

If you like to, you can read a bit more here: followingfaith.moo.no
Thanks for your support. :) It is sorely needed.

What are Lutherans view on missionary work? Would you say this is the right church for me? I whish to make a difference. I know i have the lord on my side, but i will also need a charible church around me. And your help. So i can dedicate my life to helping those who need it.

I read your blog. You remind me of one of my friends who came out of a life of alcoholism after more than 20 years of it. Her name is Debbie. And here is her blog. Be sure to read all of them because she provides background on her life, how God touched and changed her. And then how God is using her in mission right where she lives.

A Reason to Live

Here is another friend, Heather, who also came out of a life of alcoholism.

Sober Boots

And here is her account of how her boots got sober:

Craving Grace and Recovery

Blessings on your walk of faith.

Upvote 0

Tangible

Decision Theology = Ex Opere Operato
May 29, 2009
cruce tectum
Visit site
✟59,743.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Isaac, it appears that you are coming out of a great darkness and reaching for as much light as you can, which is commendable. Is there something in particular that draws you to mission work, or is that just the most "Christian" thing that you can imagine doing?

I believe you could greatly benefit from a doctrine that sets Lutherans apart from many other types of Christians, the doctrine of Vocation. Vocation is how we live our lives, how we serve our neighbor, how we go about giving and receiving 'daily bread' to and from those around us. It's where sanctification happens, not in some flamboyant, glorious way, but in the humble and mundane tasks of life - transformed by the Gospel and in which God hides himself to bless us and keep us.

Here is a good, brief blog post regarding Vocation from an author who has written at least one book on the subject and has referenced Vocation in parts of other books.

Sanctification and Vocation

Upvote 0