luke the gentile

judechild

Catholic Socratic
Jul 5, 2009
The Jesuit War-Room
✟11,369.00
Faith
Catholic
It certainly is not a dogma that Luke was a gentile; that is, it's not a part of Divine Revelation. But there has always be the belief that he was one. For example, one could look at the "Church History" of Eucibius which states "Loukas de to men genos on ton ap Antiocheias" (III.4.6). One can support that he was from Antioch because of his familiarity with the area in (Acts 11:19-27; 13:1; 14:18-21, 14:25, 15:22, 23, 30, 35; 18:22). He was also separated by St. Paul from the ones of "the circumcision" in Colossians 4:14.

Upvote 0

cyberlizard

the electric lizard returns
Jul 5, 2007
chesterfield, UK
Visit site
✟25,065.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
any concrete proof....

if the argument he shows familiarity with antioch is proof then that would make paul a gentile for being born in tarsus.

the colossians 4 argument is tenuous at best.

is there any concrete proof or is it just a case of scriptural gymnastics coupled to church tradition?

Steve

Upvote 0

Frogster

Galatians is the best!
Sep 7, 2009
✟74,317.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
any concrete proof....

if the argument he shows familiarity with antioch is proof then that would make paul a gentile for being born in tarsus.

the colossians 4 argument is tenuous at best.

is there any concrete proof or is it just a case of scriptural gymnastics coupled to church tradition?

Steve

Just out of curiousity.Could you post scripture to show he was Jewish?Thanks.

Upvote 0

judechild

Catholic Socratic
Jul 5, 2009
The Jesuit War-Room
✟11,369.00
Faith
Catholic
any concrete proof....

What would you like sir? Something to the effect of "My dear gentile friend, Luke, whom we all know wrote a Book on our Lord."?

I point again to Colossians 4:10, where Paul lists "Aristarchus, who is here in prison with me, sends his greetings, and so does Mark, the cousin of Barnabas... and Jesus Justus... of those who have come over from the Circumcision, these are the only ones actually working with me for the kingdom of God". However, later, Paul goes on to say "Greetings from my dear friend Luke, the doctor, and also from Demas" (v. 14).

Please explain why you believe these are "Scriptural gymnastics", sir.

I'd like to reiterate, though, that it is not a a matter of docrine whether Luke was a gentile or not; it's just an interesting conversation, in my opinion.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

LiturgyInDMinor

Celtic Rite Old Catholic Church
Feb 20, 2009
✟7,265.00
Faith
Utrecht
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Actually, I think that it is questionable whether Luke is actually the author of Luke and Acts.

How is this questionable now-a-days after all of the theological proof that he well is the author of both books?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

marlowe007

Veteran
Dec 8, 2008
✟23,651.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
It's all in the name: Loukas sounds darn Greek to me. ;)

Loukas - meaning of Loukas name

There was never a man named Loukas in Greek any more than there are men named 'Californian' or 'Texan.' But as the title suggests, the guy was from Luca - which pretty much settles the question.

Upvote 0

LiturgyInDMinor

Celtic Rite Old Catholic Church
Feb 20, 2009
✟7,265.00
Faith
Utrecht
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
There was never a man named Loukas in Greek any more than there are men named 'Californian' or 'Texan.' But as the title suggests, the guy was from Luca - which pretty much settles the question.

Prove it please.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Frogster

Galatians is the best!
Sep 7, 2009
✟74,317.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
Aren't there gentiles in the line of Jesus back to Abraham?

Wasn't Ruth a gentile?

Why does it matter whether Luke was or was not a gentile?

I agree,we should not care,nor should we try to have separatism.That is why there is no more Jew or Greek.

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Hebrews 2:14.... Pesky Devil, git!
Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I agree,we should not care,nor should we try to have separatism.That is why there is no more Jew or Greek.
Luke's Gospel seems to have more in common with the Jewish Hebrew book of Revelation than either Matt, Mark or John.
Did anyone notice Luke is the only Gospel to mention the word "lake" outside of Revelation :)

Luke 5:1 It became yet, in the of the throng to be nearing to Him to be hearing the word of the God, and He was standing beside the Lake/limnhn <3041> Gennesaret/gennh-saret <1082>, [Matt 14:34, Mark 6:53]

Lake mentioned 11 times. 5 times in Luke [Luke 5:1,2 8:22,23,33] 6 times in Revelation

Upvote 0

Standing Up

On and on
Sep 3, 2008
Around about
✟66,235.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

No, my question is sincere. I'm wondering why it matters?

As to Ruth, she was a Moabitess. Gentile.

... And Salmon begat Booz of Rachab; and Booz begat Obed of Ruth; and Obed begat Jesse; And Jesse begat David the king ...

The Hebrew word for generation is once again spelled as it was back in Genesis (per Perry Stone).

Upvote 0