Lourdes - DO you have Priest openly practicing open communion?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Virgil the Roman

Young Fogey & Monarchist-Distributist . . .
Jan 14, 2006
Kentucky
✟64,604.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Although, I'm not familiar with this, any priest dispenses the Body and Blood of Christ can only give it to Catholics who are not in danger of Mortal Sin, so gtsecc, if they are doing as you say, they are in a VERY serious grave error. This would indeed, be an abuse that must be corrected immediately then.
sincerly,
Ravenonthecross

Upvote 0

InnerPhyre

Nov 13, 2003
✟71,967.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
My girlfriend's parents are Episcopalians and receive communion when they attend the catholic parish at which her mother is an oblate novice (An anglican....Catholic oblate novice...head spins if you think of it). The priest basically says "well you guys believe what we do about communion, so come on in."

If I were still Catholic, I'd be on the phone with Bishop Lynch so fast his mitre would spin, but what am I gonna say "Hi I'm not Catholic anymore, but your priest over here is messing up bad?"

I've told her parents that it's not allowed and that the priest has no authority to give communion to non-Catholics and that only a bishop could make such a decision but they don't care....but I guess that's par for the course in the Anglican Church, whose motto, my girlfriend and I have decided, should be "meh."

Upvote 0

japhy

Melius servire volo
Jun 13, 2006
Princeton, NJ, USA
Visit site
✟8,214.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
My girlfriend's parents are Episcopalians and receive communion when they attend the catholic parish at which her mother is an oblate novice (An anglican....Catholic oblate novice...head spins if you think of it). The priest basically says "well you guys believe what we do about communion, so come on in."

If I were still Catholic, I'd be on the phone with Bishop Lynch so fast his mitre would spin, but what am I gonna say "Hi I'm not Catholic anymore, but your priest over here is messing up bad?"

I've told her parents that it's not allowed and that the priest has no authority to give communion to non-Catholics and that only a bishop could make such a decision but they don't care....but I guess that's par for the course in the Anglican Church, whose motto, my girlfriend and I have decided, should be "meh."
I think that'd be filed under "O" for "omission, sin of". Seriously, why not contact (edit: was contain) your former Bishop?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Assisi

not a sissy
Sep 7, 2006
Sydney
✟14,280.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Um...Isn't it possible for the Bishop to give a dispensation for regular communicants of other denominations to receive communion as a one off on a special occasion? Eg. at a wedding, the nonCatholic Bride or Groom can receive if a dispensation is obtained? Is it possible for this to have happened here?

I'm not saying I know one way or the other...just wondering what you guys think.

Upvote 0

Virgil the Roman

Young Fogey & Monarchist-Distributist . . .
Jan 14, 2006
Kentucky
✟64,604.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
As far as I know outside of the Church, from what I've learned only the Orthodox churches, the Assyrian Church of the East, and the Polish National Catholic Churches are permitted to receive communion, that's in accordance with the discipline of their respective Churches in the Catholic Churches under certain conditions. So, in the aforementioned circumstances, one may if one is a member of the aforementioned churches and is permitted to do so by their respective churches, other than these churches, The Catholic Church does not permit any others christians to receive Christ's Body and Blood. I hope this clarifies things abit.
sincerly,
Ravenonthecross

Upvote 0

Sandlapper277

Dec 26, 2006
✟15,694.00
Faith
Catholic
Um...Isn't it possible for the Bishop to give a dispensation for regular communicants of other denominations to receive communion as a one off on a special occasion? Eg. at a wedding, the nonCatholic Bride or Groom can receive if a dispensation is obtained? Is it possible for this to have happened here?

I'm not saying I know one way or the other...just wondering what you guys think.
Not really. CCC 1401:
When, in the Ordinary's judgment, a grave necessity arises, Catholic ministers may give the sacraments of Eucharist, Penance, and Anointing of the Sick to other Christians not in full communion with the Catholic Church, who ask for them of their own will, provided they give evidence of holding the Catholic faith regarding these sacraments and possess the required dispositions.
A mixed wedding is not a "grave necessity".

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Assisi

not a sissy
Sep 7, 2006
Sydney
✟14,280.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
According to EWTN a funeral is an acceptable time

anon092506 said:
Can a Protestant be given communion at a funeral? For example, if a Catholic dies and has a Protestant mother can that mother receive communion at the funeral?

FrLevis said:
Dear Anon, If the non-Catholic believes in the Eucharist as the Body and Blood of Christ, if he/she has a very strong desire to communicate on this one occasion, yes, Communion may be administered to him/her. Fr. Bob Levis

Upvote 0

Sandlapper277

Dec 26, 2006
✟15,694.00
Faith
Catholic
According to EWTN a funeral is an acceptable time
I hate to argue with a Priest, but that's a rather low view of a grave necessity, which is the standard. That, and that the person hold a fully Catholic understanding of the Eucharist, and if they do hold that, how are they not either Catholic or Orthodox?

Upvote 0

Assisi

not a sissy
Sep 7, 2006
Sydney
✟14,280.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I hate to argue with a Priest, but that's a rather low view of a grave necessity, which is the standard. That, and that the person hold a fully Catholic understanding of the Eucharist, and if they do hold that, how are they not either Catholic or Orthodox?
I have to say, I'm very glad that I'm not a priest or a Bishop! Thank you God for making me female and giving me my vocation!:bow: It must be very difficult to make these decisions. I know that I am not fitted to do it.

I heard of a high church Anglican offered the dispensation when he married a Catholic in my diocese. He refused, for some very good reasons which make me respect him a lot. This is why I am asking the question.:)

Thank you God for giving us those in authority in the Church!

Upvote 0

helenofbritain

St Mary MacKillop of the Cross, pray for us
Oct 24, 2006
Canberra
✟21,561.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I heard of a high church Anglican offered the dispensation when he married a Catholic in my diocese. He refused, for some very good reasons which make me respect him a lot. This is why I am asking the question.:)

Hi Assisi!

I wouldn't happen to be married to that self-same High Chuch Anglican, would Ii?

I can explain circumstances to interested parties... but not now.... I have a feverish nine-month-old on my lap and I hate typing one-handed....

Tomorrow perhaps. Let me know if anyone wants to know.

Upvote 0

Joanus

Jan 28, 2007
✟15,274.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
UK-Greens

There are many High Anglicans (i.e. Anglican Catholics) who believe in the Real Presence. In fact some Anglican Catholic priests and bishops can even trace their Apostolic succession back to the first Pope. Therefore, their sacrament is, actually, the Real Presence of Our Lord.

As to why they are not Catholic or Orthodox. Perhaps they are happy in their own Church in view of the fact that, maybe, they are not ready to commit themselves to Canon Law. The Orthodox Church is very different to the High Anglican and the Catholic Church. The services are quite alien and there is no rosary. Therefore, someone who is High Anglican may conceivably prefer to remain High Anglican.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.