Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Louisiana cop fired after pictured giving Nazi salute at KKK rally

kkk4n-1-web.jpg

A Louisiana detective who was exposed as a KKK member in a shocking picture was fired Wednesday and all his cases are being reviewed, officials said.

The Lake Arthur Town Council unanimously voted to fire Raymond Mott from the police department after a picture surfaced this week of Mott wearing the KKK crest and giving the Nazi salute at an anti-immigration rally, local media reported.

http://m.nydailynews.com/news/natio...ured-giving-nazi-salute-kkk-article-1.2347308

Tallguy88

We shall see the King when he comes!
Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2009
Parts Unknown
✟240,426.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
That's not a Nazi Salute.

He says he's going to sue for wrongful termination. I wonder if he will win? Can he be fired simply for belonging to an extremist organization if he hasn't done anything specifically wrong?

Upvote 0

Tallguy88

We shall see the King when he comes!
Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2009
Parts Unknown
✟240,426.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
What is a Nazi salute?
Fingers together, arms straight at about a 45 degree angle. I don't know what the salute those men are giving is, but it's not just a sloppy Nazi salute.

Upvote 0

trunks2k

Contributor
Jan 26, 2004
✟270,241.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
He says he's going to sue for wrongful termination. I wonder if he will win? Can he be fired simply for belonging to an extremist organization if he hasn't done anything specifically wrong?
It is an interesting question. I would suspect that given his position as a law enforcement officer and the group's beliefs, his department is justified in thinking not only can the department itself not trust him to be execute his duties fairly, he and the department doesn't have the trust of the people they are supposed to serve.

Upvote 0

Red Fox

Dec 14, 2014
✟23,169.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Private
It is an interesting question. I would suspect that given his position as a law enforcement officer and the group's beliefs, his department is justified in thinking not only can the department itself not trust him to be execute his duties fairly, he and the department doesn't have the trust of the people they are supposed to serve.

A white police officer hanging out with the KKK... Yeah, I'm going to trust him all right if I ever encounter him on the street. I don't think so.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Site Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Reactions: Red Fox
Upvote 0

Eryk

Site Supporter
Jun 29, 2005
Maryland
✟109,945.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
KKK salute

Most police departments don't screen for membership in groups like this and there are no national screening standards. I think they exist in the military, but not the police. Members of the Communist Party used to be discriminated against in the public sector but the Supreme Court found that to be unconstitutional. So maybe that's why they don't discriminate on the basis of membership in a group. But they always fire the police officer when they're exposed like this because it makes the department vulnerable to lawsuits.

Employers have the right to prohibit activities that compromise an employee's ability to carry out their duties impartially. A news organization can prohibit an employee from making political donations.

Upvote 0

ChristsSoldier115

Mabaho na Kuya
Jul 30, 2013
The greatest state in the Union: Ohio
✟26,502.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
In Relationship
I know this is a dumb question, but is it typical for police policy to be against going to extremist group rallies or be a member of them? Because if he signs up and signed the agreement that he cannot go against their policies then he should be fired.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

LittleLambofJesus

Hebrews 2:14.... Pesky Devil, git!
Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Reactions: brinny
Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Hebrews 2:14.... Pesky Devil, git!
Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Maybe he was signaling the Chiefs to get ready for the 4th quarter. regardless, being a member of a known extremist group would make his police work compromised.
He is a Chiefs fan?

images

Reactions: brinny
Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,206,128.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

That's a sticky situation...while it's true that his affiliation could raise some trust issues, it's also true that each and every one of us (including the racist in the picture) has a right to freedom of expression...even if that expression is tremendously unpopular (provided they don't act on that and infringe upon the rights of others).

If we leave the group names, and career names out of the equation and just ask the question in generic terms:

"Does a public-sector employer have a right to fire someone for exercising their constitutional rights in their own personal time if they've broken no law and performed their duties correctly while on the job?"

...does it still make sense?

If the answer is yes, then we open up a huge can of worms. I certainly wouldn't want a fireman to be fired for attending a pro-choice rally on their own time, because the public in their area (and their chain of command) disagreed with that viewpoint.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

seashale76

Unapologetic Iconodule
Dec 29, 2004
✟173,424.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Married
That's a sticky situation...while it's true that his affiliation could raise some trust issues, it's also true that each and every one of us (including the racist in the picture) has a right to freedom of expression...even if that expression is tremendously unpopular (provided they don't act on that and infringe upon the rights of others).

If we leave the group names, and career names out of the equation and just ask the question in generic terms:

"Does a public-sector employer have a right to fire someone for exercising their constitutional rights in their own personal time if they've broken no law and performed their duties correctly while on the job?"

...does it still make sense?

If the answer is yes, then we open up a huge can of worms. I certainly wouldn't want a fireman to be fired for attending a pro-choice rally on their own time, because the public in their area (and their chain of command) disagreed with that viewpoint.
I see your point. However, I was a public-sector employee. We were constantly told to watch ourselves and what we talked about in public and put on our social media accounts because we were representing our place of work (and there are cases where people are fired for stuff like this).

Upvote 0