Visit site
✟35,363.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
"Turner looked at her diet and knew the sugar in the soda was the the main culprit. She tells HLN's Yasmin Vossoughian that as soon as she stopped drinking pop, the weight just dropped. Hear how she was able to quit and keep off the sodas, and how she's loving her 115 pound weight loss!"

http://www.hlntv.com/video/2015/09/01/mom-quits-drinking-soda-loses-115-pounds?cid=H57183a10

If you take in 100 calories less a day for a year is 10 lbs. One 12 oz can is 150 calories, 20oz is 250 calories.
if you drink 1 20oz bottle per meal, that is 750 calories. in one year that would equal 70 lbs if you did without any.
Personally, When in the military, at my worst was 5-6,20oz pops a day (1250 calories just in liquid). But I was very active then.
Now if I have 4 cans, I am probably gaining weight.

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,206,095.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
That's not surprising...

Contrary to popular belief, carbohydrates (starch & sugar) are main culprit behind weight gain, and difficulty losing weight.
(even tho many people falsely give fat a bad rep as the culprit)

The faulty food pyramid is partially to blame for that, congressmen (not scientist) developed that nutritional guideline and it called for 300g of carbs per day.

More sophisticated research has shown us that for a sedentary adult, 100-150g is sufficient. And when you look at it in that perspective, taking in 40g of that in a single beverage is absurd.

At one point, I was on the overweight side. At 6 foot tall, I was encroaching on the 230lbs mark. I tried out a variation of the paleo diet that Dr. Eades advocates.

Essentially, keeping carbs below 50g for 3 days straight, then on day 4, take them up to around 100, then repeat the cycle. While doing this, keep fat & protein intake high.

I was eating piles of bacon & eggs, burgers (minus the bun), steaks, chicken, etc... and supplementing with protein shakes between meals. Essentially, all the things the 'experts' tell you will kill you.

In less than a year's time, I had dropped ~50lbs, and all of my numbers improved.
Here is the actual chart from my Cleveland Clinic Health Record account. (my personal info redacted of course ;))
upload_2015-9-2_15-9-39.png

So, now when people ask how I lost it, I'm a bit of a low-carb evangelist :), and when people tell me they're trying to lose weight by eating less meat and more fruits and grains, I chuckle.

Although, for the last 9 months, I've been on a pretty serious exercise program (4 days lifting, 2 days cardio), so I don't have to watch what I eat as much.

Upvote 0

Billnew

Legend
Apr 23, 2004
Ohio
Visit site
✟35,363.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
I am cutting back on pop and trying to get out and "exercise" more. (quotes because I'm trying to find exercise in places that are fun, not just doing repetitive movements to burn calories.) I figure I will have to do these exercises in the winter, so now do the fun stuff.

Remember, when we were kids exercise was fun, not a bother.

Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,206,095.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I am cutting back on pop and trying to get out and "exercise" more. (quotes because I'm trying to find exercise in places that are fun, not just doing repetitive movements to burn calories.) I figure I will have to do these exercises in the winter, so now do the fun stuff.

Remember, when we were kids exercise was fun, not a bother.

For me it was one of those things where the repetitiveness seemed like a drag at first, but after 2-3 months go by and you start seeing some results, you get used to it and I'm to the point now where I pop in the headphones, hit the gym, and don't really think anything of it.

FYI - Coke Zero is great to have around in case you get an unbearable pop craving lol

Reactions: Poor Beggar
Upvote 0

SuperCloud

Sep 8, 2014
✟3,725.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
How to tell when someone is from the midwest? when you read "pop" :p

Parts of the Midwest, CS115.

Chicago calls it "pop." In Milwaukee we call it "soda." Yet in other parts of the Midwest--I'm told--they combine the two and refer to it as "soda-pop."

Soda-pop would be a good name for a girl.

Reactions: MehGuy
Upvote 0

Hetta

I'll find my way home
Jun 21, 2012
the here and now
✟64,923.00
Country
France
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
I eat a vegan diet and lost weight. I don't think its a carb thing; I think its a real food thing.
I agree with this. Most American food is over-sugared, over-salted, over-fried and over-large. This said, I had never seen people drink soda in such quantities anywhere, ever, before I moved here. Those 20oz cups .. I could only stare, open mouthed as people went back and filled them up time after time, and when I said that restaurants where I come from don't give free refills, I actually was told that it "must be like Russia." LOL.

Upvote 0

SuperCloud

Sep 8, 2014
✟3,725.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Recently ate at The Vanguard a sausage on hotdog bun place. Apparently specializing in serving that up and cocktails and beer. All sausages made in-house.

Drank a Finament's soda for the first time. You could taste some natural ingredients pretty distinctly. I guess the ginger in it. Never heard of the soda until then. I had the Cherrytree soda paired with a Duck BLT. Afterwards I drank down an Oatmeal Stout.

I'd recommend Finament's sodas as well as that Oatmeal Stout too--as beverages.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fentimans

Fentimans Cherrytree Cola, is a fermented, botanical cherry-flavoured cola with Ginger and Herbal Extracts soft drink. It is the 9th flavour to be produced by Fentimans, and is brewed and distributed in the United States by Lion Brewery, Inc. The drink was launched in the USA in summer 2011 and launched in the UK in early 2012.

Nutrition information
100g of Curiosity Cola contains 50Kcal energy, less than 1 gram of protein, 11.4g total carbohydrate, of which 10.5g are sugars. There are 0 grams of fat, fibre, and a trace of sodium. [6]

http://www.vanguardbar.com/

ST. AMBROSE OATMEAL STOUT – 6 –
St-Ambroise Oatmeal Stout’s expert blend of deeply roasted malts has made it an international medal winner, including one of the nine Platinum medals awarded at the 1994 World Beer Cup. You’ll fall in love with your first sip of this rich brew, punctuated by espresso and chocolate notes, topped with a thick, creamy head with just a hint of mocha.
McAuslan Brewing, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Canadian Stout – 5.8% ABV

https://www.facebook.com/vanguardmke

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
"Turner looked at her diet and knew the sugar in the soda was the the main culprit. She tells HLN's Yasmin Vossoughian that as soon as she stopped drinking pop, the weight just dropped. Hear how she was able to quit and keep off the sodas, and how she's loving her 115 pound weight loss!"

http://www.hlntv.com/video/2015/09/01/mom-quits-drinking-soda-loses-115-pounds?cid=H57183a10

If you take in 100 calories less a day for a year is 10 lbs. One 12 oz can is 150 calories, 20oz is 250 calories.
if you drink 1 20oz bottle per meal, that is 750 calories. in one year that would equal 70 lbs if you did without any.
Personally, When in the military, at my worst was 5-6,20oz pops a day (1250 calories just in liquid). But I was very active then.
Now if I have 4 cans, I am probably gaining weight.

America's obesity rate has increased quite dramatically in the last couple of decades, while your average American is actually eating less fat. But guess what, Americans are eating more sugar.

If you want to gain weight, eat foods that cause a higher release of insulin and sugar is number one, although it is released to a lower degree when you eat other foods. Insulin grabs that sugar in the blood and either stores it for energy in the muscles as glycogen, in the liver and or as fat in adipose tissue.

Which brings us to a major reason obesity is also rising, most Americans live a more sedentary life, than they did decades ago, with computers, television and video games for kids. If you are not active enough, there is no need for your body to store the sugar as glycogen, so it stores virtually all of it, as fat.

People can get away with consuming some sugar, if they are physically active, but most are not.

Upvote 0

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I eat a vegan diet and lost weight. I don't think its a carb thing; I think its a real food thing.

If you are one that exercises to a higher level, you need carbohydrates and your will burn them up. If you are sedentary, greater chance those carbs get stored, as fat.

Upvote 0

nightflight

Veteran
Mar 13, 2006
Your dreams.
✟30,570.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
If you are one that exercises to a higher level, you need carbohydrates and your will burn them up. If you are sedentary, greater chance those carbs get stored, as fat.

Millions of Asians have lived off starches for thousands of years without an obesity problem.

Upvote 0

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Millions of Asians have lived off starches for thousands of years without an obesity problem.

Yes, there are examples of populations eating very high level of fats, proteins and carbohydrates and not having an issue with obesity.

What these populations typically have in common, is they are physically active.

Upvote 0

nightflight

Veteran
Mar 13, 2006
Your dreams.
✟30,570.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Yes, there are examples of populations eating very high level of fats, proteins and carbohydrates and not having an issue with obesity.

What these populations typically have in common, is they are physically active.

I'm no more active now eating a high carb low fat diet than I was eating a vlc diet.

I was a low carber for over 12 years.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

seashale76

Unapologetic Iconodule
Dec 29, 2004
✟173,404.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Married
In some places (where I'm from) the generic term is coke (even if it isn't actually a coke). If I have to refer to these drinks more generally, I will never say soda, pop, or even soda-pop. I will, instead, call them soft-drinks. I actually really hate how the words soda and pop sound. I'm not the only one that does this. A lot of people I know call them either cokes or soft-drinks. I can always tell who isn't from around here based on what they call these drinks.

ETA- And that's a lot of coke that woman was drinking. Glad she wised up. I bet she feels 100% better too.

Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,206,095.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

A vegan diet often coincides (as well as a real food diet) with a lower carbohydrate intake than what's known as "the typical western diet".

If you look at what a typical person eats throughout the day (and this is just an example of moderate eating portions)
Breakfast:
Bowl of cornflakes - 24g
Slice of toast - 15g
Glass of OJ - 20g

Lunch:
Big Mac - 44g
Medium Fry - 48g
12 oz Coke - 40g

Dinner:
Pasta - 35g
More bread - 15g
12 oz Coke - 40g

...and in reality, that's smaller than what your typical person eats in terms of volume, and we're up to ~280 grams of carbs.

If you were eating a "real foods" or "whole foods" diet, you'd be really hard pressed to come up with a number that's even close to that unless you resort to eating 4-5 servings of rice in a single day.

The short version of the story, carbohydrates cause your insulin to spike, and when insulin levels are high, your body tends to hold fat in the cells.

This video explains the process pretty well...

In fact, the entire documentary FatHead is pretty good. Watching it is what got me initially researching Dr. Eades and getting on the diet on mentioned in my previous post.

Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,206,095.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

Correct, I found that once I started actually lifting and working out 6 days a week, I needed to up my carb intake a bit because I was plateauing in terms of my gains in the gym.

Although, I still drop the carbs way down for a week or so every couple months to get cut up a bit...it's brutal trying to lift & low-carb it at the same time...

Upvote 0

seashale76

Unapologetic Iconodule
Dec 29, 2004
✟173,404.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I agree with this. Most American food is over-sugared, over-salted, over-fried and over-large. This said, I had never seen people drink soda in such quantities anywhere, ever, before I moved here. Those 20oz cups .. I could only stare, open mouthed as people went back and filled them up time after time, and when I said that restaurants where I come from don't give free refills, I actually was told that it "must be like Russia." LOL.

It's sad. My parents tell me that they when they were growing up their parents would only buy a carton with six bottles a week. My dad's family had exactly six people. My mom's family had three. Soft-drinks were considered a once-a-week treat and not a staple back in the 50s and 60s.

Upvote 0

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Correct, I found that once I started actually lifting and working out 6 days a week, I needed to up my carb intake a bit because I was plateauing in terms of my gains in the gym.

Although, I still drop the carbs way down for a week or so every couple months to get cut up a bit...it's brutal trying to lift & low-carb it at the same time...

Yea, try running long distance on a low carb, that is really fun.

Upvote 0