Looks Like we are going to be stuck with Trump, now what?

Thursday

Jan 12, 2016
Texas
✟49,429.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I don't see how we can stop him.

Given that likely inevitability, who should he run with as his VP choice?

My suggestion is Marco Rubio, for the following reasons:

1) Marco's major weakness as seen by conservatives is his immigration stance. That will no longer be an issue if he runs with Trump.
2) Marco will bolster Trump's foreign policy credibility. Marco is a leading foreign policy expert in the senate.
3) Marco will soften Trumps image.
4) Marco will give establishment Republicans and moderates hope for the future as VP, and it may allow them to vote for Trump, albeit while holding their nose.
5) Marco is fluent in spanish and will have some pull as the first hispanic VP candidate.

Any Thoughts?

NightHawkeye

Work-in-progress
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2010
✟803,537.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
I don't see how we can stop him.
Not sure why you say that. The game has just started. Relax. Bush may be cooked. Rubio may be toast. Kasich and Carson may be dead-ends.

Trump and Cruz though are essentially tied for delegates heading into friendly turf for Ted Cruz.
Winking_smiley.gif

Upvote 0

Thursday

Jan 12, 2016
Texas
✟49,429.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Not sure why you say that. The game has just started. Relax. Bush may be cooked. Rubio may be toast. Kasich and Carson may be dead-ends.

Trump and Cruz though are essentially tied for delegates heading into friendly turf for Ted Cruz.
Winking_smiley.gif

Cruz would be my top pick to be president, but I think he would be less likely to win the general election.

Upvote 0

NightHawkeye

Work-in-progress
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2010
✟803,537.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Cruz would be my top pick to be president, but I think he would be less likely to win the general election.
Noting that a similar thing was said of Reagan. :doh:

Having principles actually seems to increase one's electability though.

Upvote 0

Douger

Veteran
Oct 2, 2004
✟165,821.00
Faith
Christian

Winking_smiley.gif
What states do you think Cruz has a good chance of winning in?

Upvote 0

GoldenBoy89

We're Still Here
Sep 25, 2012
LA
✟555,711.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
You don't even like America, so I'll take that as an endorsement!
You're right.... I love the United States. America is this whole, huge continent that Republicans seem to forget even exists.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SoldierOfTheKing

Christian Spenglerian
Jan 6, 2006
Kenmore, WA
✟278,566.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
2) Marco will bolster Trump's foreign policy credibility. Marco is a leading foreign policy expert in the senate.

Trump's foreign policy views are not compatible with Rubio's. Trump, as he still likes to remind us opposed the war in Iraq. Trump isn't too keen to intervene is Syria. Trump doesn't was a new Cold War with Russia, wants to improve relations with that country.

4) Marco will give establishment Republicans and moderates hope for the future as VP, and it may allow them to vote for Trump, albeit while holding their nose.

Actually, exit polls don't show Trump to be less popular with moderates than conservatives. In New Hampshire showed that moderates and conservatives supported Trump at about the same rate. In Iowa moderates were more likely to support Trump. Trump has never been know to be particularly right wing. As for the establishment Republicans, it was never their votes thst mattered, only their money, and Trump doesn't need that.

5) Marco is fluent in spanish and will have some pull as the first hispanic VP candidate.

Trump didn't get to where he is now by Hispandering. It would turn his base off.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Sistrin

We are such stuff as dreams are made on...
Site Supporter
Jun 9, 2012
Location Location Location
✟197,980.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Maybe but still better than anything the GOP has to offer.

Except for Fiorina. I was sorry to see her go. On another note, did Christie actually believe that third-grade school-yard bully routine was going to cause people to abandon Rubio and vote for him? Seriously, Christie took a knife and slit his own wrist with that tactic.

Upvote 0

SoldierOfTheKing

Christian Spenglerian
Jan 6, 2006
Kenmore, WA
✟278,566.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Except for Fiorina. I was sorry to see her go. On another note, did Christie actually believe that third-grade school-yard bully routine was going to cause people to abandon Rubio and vote for him? Seriously, Christie took a knife and slit his own wrist with that tactic.

"Gov. Chris Christie will always be remembered for the noble service he performed for his country Saturday night. He must have known his campaign wasn’t lighting the world on fire, but he was damned if he was going to stand by and let that pretty-boy mountebank win.

Christie smacked Rubio down at the GOP debate by dramatically exposing the fact that Rubio’s only skill is a weird ability to regurgitate “the memorized 25-second speech that is exactly what his advisers gave him”—as the governor memorably put it.

In a surprising move, Rubio responded by regurgitating the memorized 25-second speech that was exactly what his advisers gave him. And then he did it again three more times."

-Ann Coulter

Upvote 0

DaisyDay

I Did Nothing Wrong!! ~~Team Deep State
Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟12,399.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Why not? It's working for Trump.

Reactions: mark46
Upvote 0

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Site Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Reactions: mark46
Upvote 0