• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

looks like I'm joining the bpd club and seeking insight

xrei

Aug 29, 2014
✟7,813.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I am not diagnosed yet but it seems as if BPD is a perfect fit for me. I had my share of troubles during my childhood and joined the army to try to build something of my life. I've been married for 15 years (met my wife in the army) and its been great at times but mostly a struggle.
We both come from divorced families and both suffer from sexual trauma, neglect/abandonment, and both have a history of self harm and suicide attempts...a match made in heaven! As I child I was diagnosed with several illnesses from depression to bipolar and was on various anti this or that throughout. Eventually I rebelled from treatment and needs and dedicated myself to becoming successful and shedding the stigma of being sick... Army, marriage, 2 kids, college, good job, etc. It sorta worked but I was always irritable with the kids and my wife because it was exhausting. I thought it was the normal stresses of the daily grind that made me irritable but I took it out on the kids and wife despite their lack of any control over any of it.
A short time after we were married, I began to feel connected to my wife...We were fighting a lot and didn't spend a lot of time with each other with both of us having full time jobs and raising our first child. We weren't meeting each others needs and as a result I started feeling disconnected. I ended up being unfaithful to my wife with 3 different women (separate times) over a couple of years. I never slept with any of them but I was physical in all 3 to varying degrees. I was in a bad place. I felt the guilt, shame, and unworthiness. I thought I could keep this to myself and just be a better husband and "make up for it".
I was wrong. I recently confessed all to my wife a few months ago and it has been rough obviously. Through the last few months we have been counseled by our church and my wife has seen a psychiatrist resulting in a bipolar diagnosis. I started reading about bipolar as well and, while I have symptoms of bp, I share more traits with BPD. I am a splitter big time. I have an appt for my own diagnosis but I'm pretty sure what will happen.
I am praying for strength and patience but many times I am overwhelmed by guilt and shame of my actions which leads me to not feeling worthy of my wife which leads me to split and she gets hurt once again. Its a messed up cycle that is certainly bigger than me at the moment. I am pretty sure my treatment requires medication but I have no clue what I need. I would love to stop hurting the people I love and love me.
I guess I'm not sure why I am sharing...maybe to be known or maybe just need prayers and hope.

Thanks for reading

xrei

Aug 29, 2014
✟7,813.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
For both you and your wife together, reading the Bible daily and praying are essential. My wife and I have done it - except while away on business trips, etc. - since we were married and it's a great blessing.

Thanks for the reply. We both read devotionals separately but pray together every night. I will approach her about reading together this evening.

Upvote 0

xrei

Aug 29, 2014
✟7,813.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Well, I need prayers. I need to know if God really wants my marriage to work. Both my wife and I are exhausted. We are both sick of hurting. I know I'm am super overly sensitive so its exhausting for my wife to put up with and she is sensitive as well. I know God hates divorce but are there any exceptions where God says "yeah...you guys really shouldn't be together". Our marriage is unhealthy without a doubt and I want the hurt to stop but I Dont want to make a decision like that out of my own feelings as I think that's foolish. I haven't even seen my Dr to get diagnosed let alone get on a treatment plan. I need prayers of clarity in what needs to be done.

Upvote 0

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Well, I need prayers. I need to know if God really wants my marriage to work. Both my wife and I are exhausted. We are both sick of hurting. I know I'm am super overly sensitive so its exhausting for my wife to put up with and she is sensitive as well. I know God hates divorce but are there any exceptions where God says "yeah...you guys really shouldn't be together". Our marriage is unhealthy without a doubt and I want the hurt to stop but I Dont want to make a decision like that out of my own feelings as I think that's foolish. I haven't even seen my Dr to get diagnosed let alone get on a treatment plan. I need prayers of clarity in what needs to be done.

Based on my experience in dealing with someone with BPD, if you are willing to admit you need help and seek a good clinician to give you support, you have a leg up on many who suffer from BPD who will never admit they have an issue.

Upvote 0