Looking for some advice about what to do with my life?

ItsMePippy

Jun 18, 2014
✟15,112.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Hello :) I am just looking for a bit of advice. I'll try and make this brief. So, I'm 23, and have had pretty bad social anxiety and depression for almost 10 years of my life. I graduated last year with a degree in English Lit, and since then have been working my first full time job in a care home. The work itself is ok, but the management and colleagues treat me like crap, they act like I am a child. They call me "timid" and patronise me like crazy. I hate it because I can't help but have anxiety, and they all think I'm stupid or something. Sometimes I leave work and just burst into tears. I keep breaking out in spots and getting mouth ulcers from stress. A big part of the problem is also the fact that I get so nervous at work from anxiety, and I dread going in everyday.

So, I have started to look for a new job. I have been looking for other full time work in care, but now I am considering maybe looking for part time work, so I have more free time to do voluntary work and find out what I want to do with my life career wise. I am considering maybe trying to get experience working with kids so I could look for a teaching assistant role and see if that suits me, or maybe something in publishing so I can make something of my degree. BUT I still live at home and feel like a leech off my family, plus my home life isn't very good and my Mum makes me feel like crap so I kind of just want to move out asap. Am also considering travelling with friends but that doesn't seem likely as my friends are unreliable and of course there is the money issue.

Sorry for the length of this post. Thanks for reading.

G.O.L.F

Jun 30, 2005
United Kingdom
✟9,160.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Labour
You know when i was 13 God told me too become a missionary. And at 18 years old i did.
It scares me every day. Despite not knowing how i'll survive or really whats round the corner for the next day...i just take each step as God directs and trust that he has it in hand.

I think what i'm saying is...pray and ask him what he wants you too do, then do it, no matter how insane it sounds

Upvote 0

coachcj

Jun 26, 2014
✟7,635.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think, it is really important you first discover what you are good and equipped better to do that also fits your present circumstance. There is no need being in a place that feels like hell. You cant grow and cant be your best.

However, you actually have an advantage because your experience now is forcing you to ask the right questions about your life. Many don't get to do this until it is either too late or many mistakes has been made already.

Wishing you the best

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BeautifulLove

Jun 16, 2014
USA
✟15,240.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
You are most certainly NOT alone. I have extremely similar feelings. I live in a small town and my husband works but I only have a very unreliable job. To me it’s a big deal because I have a degree and would LIKE to make a career out of it (one day)! I have had social anxiety all of my life. When I go out in public I won’t talk to anyone unless I absolutely have to. I hate to talk on the phone. I feel like people judge me or find me dorky. Interviews, oh goodness! Talk about scary and intimidating especially to people like us.

First off, don’t let other peoples rude comments hurt your soul or heart. They have no room to judge you or make you feel less of who you are. Shrug it off. Easier said than done I know firsthand. God sees this as being graceful. You are not sinning when you are graceful but those who are being rude may have more to worry about as far as sin goes. Give your problems and pain to God and just know that he will give you peace if you seek it.

Don’t feel like a leecher. I have the same feelings since my husband pretty much supports us both. The great thing is he loves me and doesn’t make me feel bad for it. If your mom makes you feel bad try to have a serious conversation about it and tell her your true feelings. I would hope she understands. I know if I were in the same situation my mom may get a little rude about the situation but she would understand and eventually help me through my problem instead.

Volunteering is an EXCELLENT idea. It creates new networking connections that may even help you land a good job. It’s great for the soul and heart. It keeps you busy, optimistic, and out of the house.

Pray to God to give you guidance because if you give him all of your faith he will not disappoint you. Often, doors close for better ones to open. Pray for strength. Pray for peace. Forgive those that have hurt you and move on.

Upvote 0