Look at that!

Dec 22, 2010
✟1,424.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
@gracefullamb

It means 2%... - my english is not so bad. i've understood it.
Question was - are these Orthodox people active parishioners, who visit Church and confess, take communion regular? Or like in Russia - "who u r? - Orthodox; how often do u confess, take communion? - e-e-e...".

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Pilgrim/Monastic on the Road to God (Psalm 84:1-7)
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
World-wide, we're huge. Here, not so much.
Interestingly, as I was under the impression that here in the U.S Orthodoxy is simply unknown and more so hidden compared to the other more visible camps since many have said they've seen a lot of Orthodox parishes all around.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,463,791.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Easy G (G²);61814679 said:
Interestingly, as I was under the impression that here in the U.S Orthodoxy is simply unknown and more so hidden compared to the other more visible camps since many have said they've seen a lot of Orthodox parishes all around.

I think it's because for the longest time, many Orthodox parishes cared about who was in their flock and did not reach out.. however, nowadays with guys like Fr Seraphim Rose, Fr Alexander Schmemann, and stuff like AFR and OCF, the word is getting out.

Upvote 0

buzuxi02

Veteran
May 14, 2006
New York
✟212,454.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
@gracefullamb

Question was - are these Orthodox people active parishioners, who visit Church and confess, take communion regular? Or like in Russia - "who u r? - Orthodox; how often do u confess, take communion? - e-e-e...".

The 1% are the ones that identify themselves as Orthodox. They may never show up to church. Personally I think the number is too low unless there only counting the GOARCH. Closer to 1.5% is what I think.

As far as those who regularly attend church I suspect less than 10% and closer to 5%. The low church numbers in Russia is not much different than in America or anywhere else in the west. Regardless of religious affiliation actual church attendance is probably in the single digits. If attendance were in the double digits every city in America would have churches the size of basketball arenas and mega churches ever few miles. Instead 9am Sundays look like ghost towns

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I'm curious where the majority of Orthodox Christians in Nevada are located, Vegas? It seems unlikely but it's also the most populous city in the state.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner
Heaven knows we need to have folks present in an area like Vegas to make a difference...

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I'd be curious as to which specific groups of Orthodoxy were evaluated and if it was based on the number of parishes present or simply on the number of groups who were vocal...and, for that matter, whether it was Eastern Orthodoxy alone or Oriential Orthodoxy (i.e. Coptic, Ethiopian, etc.) that were also included. I'd hope the Coptic Orthodox Parish I'm down with was included in the study rather than left off...but then again, based on the stances of those doing the study, one has to wonder how much there was a desire for accuracy. If Gerrymandering could occur when people want to make representations of areas being bigger in scope than they are, what would make something from USA Today any different?

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Their subcategories for Protestants seem a bit odd to me - Evangelical, Mainline & Black....
I'm surprised they had Black as a category seperate from Evangelical since there are churches which are Black and Evangelical :)

Upvote 0

gracefullamb

Apr 2, 2006
✟17,278.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
@gracefullamb

Oh I see, my misunderstanding of your question then. My apologies for that. I have actually seen the stats before of % of Orthodox active in each jurisdiction, but I cannot remember where now or even what the numbers were. I'll look in see if I can track it down again, because now I am curious about it. If I do find it I'll post it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
bugger, just saw that TN and KY are also less than 0.5%, I guess we gots some work to do here around Ft Campbell
Work is worth it :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Last edited:
Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0