• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Long, stupid, involved OCD worry (need to vent)

D

DruryGirl

Hi, gang. Something’s been bothering me since Friday and I just want to tell a stupid OCD story. I just need to get it off my chest.

Some background: I’m a compulsive vow-maker. Almost four years ago my OCD kicked in full-force and I became totally obsessed with vows. I suffer from constant compulsive thoughts related to it. I frequently vow to “protect” things or just as a form of compulsive decision-making. The compulsion to vow is with me every day of my life. Yes, I sometimes make a choice to vow, not just the OCD thought but I consciously vow (albeit almost always out of compulsion).

When all this started four years ago, I started making hardcore “protective” vows. I would obsessively say, “My no is no to vows. I reject all vows. I say no in advance. My no is no.” I knew I had a serious problem with OCD thoughts and became petrified that I would wind up making some stupid vow out of compulsion and live in bondage. (The latter of which has become the story of my life.)

So anyway, every important decision to be made (and many trivial matters) have been overwhelmed by compulsive vows. I could talk for hours about this, but let’s focus on the one that’s bothering me now.

Earlier this spring, I was offered a room for rent with a Christian family. I was interested but they pulled out suddenly due to a problem with the landlord. I was disappointed, but kept busy looking for another apartment and considering new living situations. Meanwhile, this family worked something out with the landlord, got in touch with me again, and offered the room. I accepted and moved in about a month ago.

On Friday I began vaguely remembering making a compulsive vow. As I looked for apartments I had decided I wouldn’t be comfortable with male roommates. I stand by this even now: as a young single female, I would not be comfortable to live with a single man, two guys, etc. I’m not even talking about living with a boyfriend, I just mean a situation where I would platonically live with men. (Think “Three’s Company,” lol.) However, I would be okay with living with a family. At any rate, I may have made some
vow about not having male roommates.

When I had this vague memory (I’m pretty sure it happened but not positive), I became very upset and agitated, as I live with a married couple and their two children--a boy and a girl. Thus I have two male roommates. I was so upset I was vomiting over it. I was angry with myself for doing yet another stupid thing out of compulsion. I felt like I would have to move out right away. (This was so upsetting because this arrangement is the best thing that ever happened to me and I am so happy here it’s not even funny.)

Within a few hours, I recalled more details. (I’m pretty sure this happened but I can’t be positive.) I think I remember adding stipulations to this vow, that I could rent a room with a family or live with males as part of my own family. I think the vow, if it indeed occurred, happened after I had been turned down for the room the first time and while I was looking at apartments, so it would have been fresh in my mind that I might want to rent a room with a family (and thus would have male roommates that I would be comfortable with).

I felt better for a while after remembering the maybe-happened loophole, but it has crumbled to obsessive-compulsive doubts. What if I made the vow and did not really make the loophole? What if I thought of the loophole later, after the vow was made and the vow was already binding and unchangeable? I feel like being unsure that you remember a destructive binding vow is just as good as if you had made the vow (you don’t want to take a chance that you lied to God), but if you’re not sure you made a loophole it “doesn’t count” because you’re not sure. I’m so angry and frustrated, because I feel like I have to base my whole life around half-remembered thoughts that may or may not have happened in the “right” way. I have other worries, too. What if I made the loophole but didn’t “phrase it right”? What if my mind invented a false memory? (This can happen.)

Due to all the surrounding doubt, I obsess over the Bible verses about “obeying your conscience” even if it’s weak, and that if you can’t be absolutely sure something is not a sin then don’t do it. “If in doubt go without.” I’m so sick of that one. Every time I have doubt about something (which is constantly) it gets ruined for me and I have to live in guilt, confusion, and bondage.

Sometimes I feel a compulsion toward making a vow, but don’t actually make it. Later I struggle with doubt over not remembering whether I actually vowed or if it was just a compulsion that I didn’t act on. Then I feel like I have to keep the vow even though I’m not sure it was actually made. I hate OCD so much.

So anyway, I feel this constant guilt of living in this house with my male housemates. I’ve obsessed over loopholes. (I actually debated asking if I could buy an RV and live in their yard, thus circumventing the whole “roommate” thing. This is how extreme it is.)

The guilt has gone beyond just my thoughts and gotten into like my whole body. I feel this constant tension all over. To try to “counter-vow” I’ve made repeated vows to live with these people for a set time, but I don’t know if it counts if I already have an existing vow not to have male roommates (even though I don’t know that it really happened for definite, but I think it did and I also think I really did make loopholes).

So in conclusion, I hate OCD. Sorry this is so long, but I really needed to vent, this has been eating me and making me guilty and miserable. I can’t even stand the sound of my housemates’ voices anymore because it just reminds me. Everything feels sinful--having friendships with these people, interacting with the landlord. This city feels sinful.

I wish I could go back to the normal days when I worried about sins like lying and cussing and lust, instead of whether I might have made a vow in 2007 to not wear a certain color on the third Tuesday of every month. (Not a real worry, just a hypothetical to show how extreme and ridiculous my OCD feels to me.)

Last edited:

annrobert

Jesus is my Shelter my Refuge my Fortress
Jan 24, 2009
Canada
✟17,269.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi Drury girl,
Sorry you are suffering like this.
Maybe try praying to Jesus and ask Him to forgive you for making vows and to forgive any debts you think may have have made in regards to them.
Jesus loves forgiving debts.
Talk to Jesus and explain (even though He already understands and is compassionate and merciful) That you have a weakness about making vows,ask Him to forgive you in advance for any vows you may make in the future and not to hold you to them since this is a weakness you are struggling with.
Also ask Him to forgive you for any past vows.
Ask Him to be patient which Jesus loves being patient and long suffering.
ASk Him to help you overcome this weakness and forgive you any past and present vows in the meantime.
Ask Him to give you rest.
This is just some thoughts I have about this,not sure if it will help or not.
Jesus is our Good Shepherd who leads us to still waters and restores our souls.

Luke 4:18
The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, because he hath anointed me to preach the gospel to the poor; he hath sent me to heal the brokenhearted, to preach deliverance to the captives, and recovering of sight to the blind, to set at liberty them that are bruised,

28Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.

29Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. 30For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.

I hope this can help you some.
blessings
annrobert

Upvote 0
D

DruryGirl

Annrobert, a lovely post. I appreciate what you're trying to say, but I've received similar advice before and find it hard to accept. Let me explain my logic.

Yes, I have compulsions and obsessions. Yes, I feel I'm legitimately "sick," that I have pathological cognitive-behavioral issues.

However, the Bible says that when we make a vow the Lord will surely demand it of us. Compulsions or not, I have had times when I have consciously and deliberately
made vows. God says not to lie, and I don't want to lie to Him.

The maddening part is that I truly believe I may have made a loophole that would instantaneously relieve all my fears could I just remember fully and properly, and be sure. That little inkling of doubt--did I really make an exception that would allow me to rent with a family?--keeps me from feeling at ease. That little doubt has my poor conscience absolutely simmering right now. And then I remember the Bible verses about violating my conscience. My conscience is so inflamed right now, just being in the house, I feel physically hot from the guilt. It would kill me to move out, I don't even have anywhere to go.

Upvote 0

Catherineanne

Sep 1, 2004
Europe
✟76,860.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
The guilt has gone beyond just my thoughts and gotten into like my whole body. I feel this constant tension all over. To try to “counter-vow” I’ve made repeated vows to live with these people for a set time, but I don’t know if it counts if I already have an existing vow not to have male roommates (even though I don’t know that it really happened for definite, but I think it did and I also think I really did make loopholes).

So in conclusion, I hate OCD. Sorry this is so long, but I really needed to vent, this has been eating me and making me guilty and miserable. I can’t even stand the sound of my housemates’ voices anymore because it just reminds me. Everything feels sinful--having friendships with these people, interacting with the landlord. This city feels sinful.

I wish I could go back to the normal days when I worried about sins like lying and cussing and lust, instead of whether I might have made a vow in 2007 to not wear a certain color on the third Tuesday of every month. (Not a real worry, just a hypothetical to show how extreme and ridiculous my OCD feels to me.)

I am sorry you have such a difficult burden to bear, DruryGirl. It will be difficult for you to see beyond your compulsions, but this is what I see:

You are a very compassionate, very caring person. You are not interested in just protecting yourself, but those around you as well. You live in a very uncertain, very frightening world and you try to control your living in that world by making certain promises to God, in the form of vows. Having made those vows, you become fearful of breaking them, and this fear leads to more anxiety, which you relieve by making more vows.

With all these vows, you are very concerned to ensure that you stick not only to the wording of the vow, but also to the spirit of it. This shows that you are a person of deep integrity. However, this very integrity is leading you astray, because it is causing you to doubt what you have promised, and doubt whether you may have inadvertantly broken a vow.

So, here is that vow once more. You decided, probably rightly, that a single young lady is best not sharing a house with men, and you made a vow to that effect.

Now you find yourself sharing a home with a married couple and their small children, and you think you may be in danger of breaking your vow. Please be assured that this is not the case. As I see it, that married couple and their small children are God's sign that he has accepted your vow, and is honouring it. You may, therefore, live with these good people for as long as you wish to do so, without any fear of having broken your promise. The child is not a man but a child; his father is married and therefore in the same relation to you as a brother. These people are Christians, and therefore they are your family in Christ; your vow is fine.

I will not try to tell you to stop these vows; I suspect this is out of your power at present. But perhaps include a rider at the end, because you are only human. Say, I vow to (whatever it is), as God gives me grace.

In other words, you include God's action alongside yours, and take the responsibility off your shoulders to remember every detail. Sometimes it is simply impossible to do what we promise, even with the best will in the world. In such a situation, you need to know that this is ok for you, just as it is ok for the rest of humanity. The world will not end, and nobody will die because of it. What will happen is that you will feel bad for a time, but then pick yourself up and start again; you and me both. We are only human, and God knows that and loves us for it.

Here is a verse for you to consider: 'Come to me all ye who labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.'

I wish you well. :wave:

Upvote 0

Catherineanne

Sep 1, 2004
Europe
✟76,860.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
My conscience is so inflamed right now, just being in the house, I feel physically hot from the guilt. It would kill me to move out, I don't even have anywhere to go.

The guilt you are feeling is part of your anxiety, because you do not want to break a vow to God.

You have not broken any vow, and you can safely remain where you are. Look what God has done for you; he has brought you to safety and honoured your vow by providing a family for you to live alongside; your family.

It is time to rest in the Lord, DruryGirl. You are home.

The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not be in want.
He makes me lie down in green pastures,
he leads me beside quiet waters,
he restores my soul.
He guides me in paths of righteousness for his name's sake.
Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
I will fear no evil, for you are with me;
your rod and your staff they comfort me.
You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies.
You anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows.
Surely goodness and love will follow me all the days of my life,
and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever.

Psalm 23

Upvote 0
D

DruryGirl

I really appreciate the kind responses I've been getting.

Catherine, you have made some good assessments. I am worried about myself and everyone around me. I am trying to control the world around me. I don't want to wrongly break a vow.

I also like your assessment of this "male roommate" vow. My intention of the vow in the first place (which I stand by) is that I didn't feel comfortable living with a man/men in a way that would feel "improper" to me. Living with a single guy my age (even if I wasn't involved with him) would feel uncomfortably different to me than living with a family that happens to include an underage boy and a married man who is my parents' age.

My fear is simply, "Did I really make a loophole that allows me to live peacefully with this family?" That slight little doubt that I could be breaking a vow terrifies me. And if I'm violating my conscience . . .

At any rate, I really appreciate all the support I'm getting here in my time of distress. I've been sick over this for days.

Upvote 0

lunapearl

Aug 5, 2009
✟7,642.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm praying for you. I don't have issues with vows, but I do suffer from this kind of deep analysis of my thoughts, intentions, and interactions with people...Always trying to accurately remember what I said and did and thought in order hyper analyze what repercussions there will be to what I have done. Usually, I haven't done anything!!! It's just OCD, but at the time it's so horrible. Anyway, I will pray for you to gain a sense of peace about living with this family. God bless you!

Upvote 0

Catherineanne

Sep 1, 2004
Europe
✟76,860.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
I really appreciate the kind responses I've been getting.

Catherine, you have made some good assessments. I am worried about myself and everyone around me. I am trying to control the world around me. I don't want to wrongly break a vow.

I also like your assessment of this "male roommate" vow. My intention of the vow in the first place (which I stand by) is that I didn't feel comfortable living with a man/men in a way that would feel "improper" to me. Living with a single guy my age (even if I wasn't involved with him) would feel uncomfortably different to me than living with a family that happens to include an underage boy and a married man who is my parents' age.

My fear is simply, "Did I really make a loophole that allows me to live peacefully with this family?" That slight little doubt that I could be breaking a vow terrifies me. And if I'm violating my conscience . . .

At any rate, I really appreciate all the support I'm getting here in my time of distress. I've been sick over this for days.

I understand your doubts; really I do. They come from your deep inner integrity; that part of you which is not unwell, but whole and complete. Please be assured, however, that you are not violating either the letter or the spirit of a vow not to live with men. You are living with a family, and that is a completely different matter. If you are still unsure, I suggest you talk to the lady of the house, and ask her advice; I am sure she will give you the same reassurance that I have. One thing is certain; your integrity will never allow you to behave in any inappropriate way, so she is very fortunate in her tenant.

If I honestly thought that your standing before God was in any kind of danger because of this promise, I would tell you. It is not. God wants you to have peace on this matter; he does not want you to feel homeless and outcast. This is not about a loophole; it is about the whole spirit of your vow; living with single men is totally different from living with a family.

I wish you peace on this matter, and I will pray for you.

Lord, have mercy,
Christ, have mercy,
Lord, have mercy. :crossrc:

Upvote 0
P

peacebwithu2

Annrobert, a lovely post. I appreciate what you're trying to say, but I've received similar advice before and find it hard to accept. Let me explain my logic.

Yes, I have compulsions and obsessions. Yes, I feel I'm legitimately "sick," that I have pathological cognitive-behavioral issues.

However, the Bible says that when we make a vow the Lord will surely demand it of us. Compulsions or not, I have had times when I have consciously and deliberately
made vows. God says not to lie, and I don't want to lie to Him.

The maddening part is that I truly believe I may have made a loophole that would instantaneously relieve all my fears could I just remember fully and properly, and be sure. That little inkling of doubt--did I really make an exception that would allow me to rent with a family?--keeps me from feeling at ease. That little doubt has my poor conscience absolutely simmering right now. And then I remember the Bible verses about violating my conscience. My conscience is so inflamed right now, just being in the house, I feel physically hot from the guilt. It would kill me to move out, I don't even have anywhere to go.

you are missing something vitaly important here If you have done wrong then Jesus can forgive you but i also want to point out that to say a compulsion is sin that is something you cant control is sin then that would mean that even blasphemous thoughts that happen by way of compulsion are in fact sin..and that is insane in and of itself to think that way ..i could not love a God who was that mean ..and yes he would be mean ..unmerciful capricious and i would want nothing to do with a God who was like that ..but i dont believe he is ..

Upvote 0
K

kaykay9.0

I would just specifically add that I agree with Catherineanne here regarding your living arrangements. Believe me, I understand. I have had my own "round" with OCD concerning vows. The subject of "vows" are indeed something that OCD latches onto often times. If you go back through this forums and various threads, you will find that many with OCD struggle with the "vow" issue. Just try to remember that OCD always magnifies things and takes a "truth" to the extreme that it becomes in actuality, "error." Does this make sense to you? I have just found this to be the case with most OCD issues including the subject of vows.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
D

DruryGirl

As always, I appreciate the kind and intelligent answers I am getting.

Peacebewithu2, I agree that the compulsion itself is not the sin. However, I had a compulsion to vow, and responded to it by actually vowing. I deliberately vowed.

Catherine, good assessments of the situation. I see your point. Because of the OCD it is so hard to have peace.

Lunapearl, I feel you. :) Kaykay, I remember how excited I was when, at 20 and quite ill due to OCD, I found out other people had vow problems too. It's comforting to have company (although I wish no one had to suffer like this!)

Upvote 0
D

DruryGirl

I just realized something. I live in a 3-story house. The official owners--the landlord and his wife--live on the base floor. The married couple, their kids, and me live on the top two floors. Does this mean I have three male roommates?

Here we go again.

Hey, the kids have two cats--one of which is male. Does that make four male roommates? This is how far technicalities can go.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
K

kaykay9.0

Kaykay, I remember how excited I was when, at 20 and quite ill due to OCD, I found out other people had vow problems too. It's comforting to have company (although I wish no one had to suffer like this!)
I think the reason that it is somewhat comforting to have "company" is that it helps realize that most of these dilemnas we face and agonize over actually are OCD and not moral reality. This, in turn, helps us at least in some small way, sort things out.

Upvote 0

Catherineanne

Sep 1, 2004
Europe
✟76,860.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
Catherine, good assessments of the situation. I see your point. Because of the OCD it is so hard to have peace.

I do not have OCD, but I do suffer from anxiety. Sometimes, the anxiety is there, and I have no idea why, so I try to discover the source. I can blame all sorts of causes, and analyse my life in appalling detail; what did I say, what did I not say, what should I have said instead; blaming myself for not being perfect all the time, and always failing. In fact none of those is the actual source of my anxiety, which is an anxiety disorder, ultimately derived from a family riddled with perfectionism, and for whom nothing was/is ever quite good enough; almost but never quite there.

Once I understand that I can never achieve acceptance, and never satisfy my family, or even be satisfied myself that my best is good enough, I can stop looking for the cause, because it is not external to who I am; it is part of me, and how I relate to the world.

Similarly, I think your anxiety has kicked in in relation to this situation, and you are trying to find an external source; is it a broken vow, is it the men around you, is it a loophole, is it a cat? This is also perfectionist; if you can only get all of this right, one day, then life would be ok. Actually, it won't. Life is never ok for long, for anyone. God sends the rain on the righteous and the unrighteous; sometimes it is just the time for some rain.

Anxiety is part of what happens, sometimes. There is no cause, and it is not God or your conscience speaking. God wishes you peace every moment of every day, and does not want you to worry. Unfortunately, anxiety does not respond to logic or intelligence. It responds to perceived danger and a lessening of that danger.

If you need me to keep saying it, I will, for as long as it takes. God has brought you safely home, and wants you to rest in him, and in peace.

Peace be with you.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Catherineanne

Sep 1, 2004
Europe
✟76,860.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
I just realized something. I live in a 3-story house. The official owners--the landlord and his wife--live on the base floor. The married couple, their kids, and me live on the top two floors. Does this mean I have three male roommates?

Here we go again.

Hey, the kids have two cats--one of which is male. Does that make four male roommates? This is how far technicalities can go.

Rest assured, the landlord and his wife do not count as room mates, and neither do the cats. Nor do any books on your bookshelves by male authors, nor any clothes in your closet by male designers; ha, ahead of you on this one! :)

I commend your integrity on this, but you are safe, and you are home. You have broken no vow, and you have not compromised your integrity. To be honest, I am not sure you are capable of compromising your own integrity; I only wish you could see yourself as I see you, let alone as God does. :)

The Peace of the Lord be always with you. :liturgy:

Upvote 0

Catherineanne

Sep 1, 2004
Europe
✟76,860.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
I think the reason that it is somewhat comforting to have "company" is that it helps realize that most of these dilemnas we face and agonize over actually are OCD and not moral reality. This, in turn, helps us at least in some small way, sort things out.

This can happen to any Christian, and it is why we have ministers to talk to, and brothers and sisters to confide in. It is very easy to get trapped into feeling like a failure, when in reality as humans we are never going to be perfect; we were not made with the ability to do that.

We all need someone to help us find a reality check from time to time, so that we can find out how others see us, and our situation.

Upvote 0

Catherineanne

Sep 1, 2004
Europe
✟76,860.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
Very insightful answers as usual, Catherine. I loved the one about male authors and designers. Hey, if Jesus is always with me, is He my roommate? Lol.

He is indeed. And you are not going to evict him any time soon!! ^_^

My friend B says that when she is driving her car alone at night she imagines the Holy Trinity sharing it with her; one in the front, two in the back. I said to her, are you sure they would need three seats, wouldn't it just be one, and she gave me a withering look and said, no, three. ^_^

If you can find a way to laugh through this one, you may find your escape from the compulsion. Perhaps your furniture was made by men, and you have a tv, and men appear on it. Perhaps your food was processed in a factory owned by a man, and the boxes designed by men. One way or another, we each connect to every other human on earth; no man is an island. Even nuns answer to a male Pope. :)

Take this to as extreme a level as you can on purpose, until you can laugh about it. I have found from experience that when I am most unwell, I am also most distanced from my sense of humour. When I can learn to laugh at myself, then I feel myself beginning to find healing. Perhaps I ought to write on my fridge; 'What is so funny about all of this?' and then try to find it.

You are doing so well on this one, I really hope you are beginning to find some peace. :crossrc:

Upvote 0
D

DruryGirl

Thanks, Catherine. Jokes aside, it's really not going away. I just feel it all over me. I would give almost anything to just know as an absolute what was or wasn't said, but I don't believe that can possibly happen. Unfortunately there's no "transcript" of my thoughts.

Unfortunately, I've almost gotten to the point where I would want to move out. I feel guilty all the time about being here and I feel miserable every time I look at or talk to my housemates. Sometimes I get to the point where I just want to die. After all, compulsions and obsessions I feel like I have slowly vowed my life away to the point where anything worth having is off-limits. Christianity used to be a joyful faith and a driving motivation in my life, now it just feels like a gun to my head.

Upvote 0