Up your nose....wid a rubbah hose.
✟361,527.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
I just fail to see how censoring subway ads are going to do squat in improving people's self esteem. Especially with the rise of new media where hot bodies are able to be plastered around like never before. It's a losing battle. Especially considering how little the body positive movement focuses on male issues. You really think that is going to inspire us to be comrades in the movement?
Well, the OTHER option is that someone somewhere becomes a leader on this issue.

Upvote 0

MehGuy

A member of the less neotenous sex..
Supporter
Jul 23, 2007
Minnesota
✟1,154,935.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Well, the OTHER option is that someone somewhere becomes a leader on this issue.

A leader and do what? Biologically we're hardwired to want to look good for potential mates. With modern technology its just easier for us to round up the best and show them off. I fail to see how we're going to fight this. Especially when feminist camps already fail so badly at it..

Upvote 0

Gadarene

-______-
Apr 16, 2012
London
✟75,247.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Labour
Transport for London obviously has a policy for advertising on its premises, and arrangements for how those rules should be applied — just as a newspaper or a cinema or a television station or a billboard company has. TfL's policy seems mainstream and sensible, and it obviously has the right to formulate such a policy. What's the issue?

Again, let's stop pretending there is some sort of majority opinion here.

There were 37000 complaints. That is not 'mainstream'.

Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,196,039.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Advertising works by means of making the consumer feel inadequate without their product. Almost by definition, they are trying to make "overweight" (not just fat....even people MILDLY overweight or self conscious) feel bad.

Sure...but why isn't that viewed in the same way for other scenarios?

For example...should commercials for BMW be banned because they might make people who can't afford one feel bad?

This idea that "we can't hurt anyone's feelings because they haven't achieved the same things we have" still seems backwards to me. You're punishing people for hard work and success at that point.

Reactions: Gadarene
Upvote 0

MehGuy

Supporter
Jul 23, 2007
Minnesota
✟1,154,935.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Transport for London obviously has a policy for advertising on its premises, and arrangements for how those rules should be applied — just as a newspaper or a cinema or a television station or a billboard company has. TfL's policy seems mainstream and sensible, and it obviously has the right to formulate such a policy. What's the issue?

Because I think the whole thing is pointless, and is just another nudge to coddle society.

I'm not losing sleep over it or anything though.

Most of my anger is from the real worry that this isn't even going to be applied fairly between the genders.

Upvote 0

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟488,914.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Again, let's stop pretending there is some sort of majority opinion here.

There were 37000 complaints. That is not 'mainstream'.
I think I once read that for every vocal complainer, there are 10-20 people who agree, but don't bother to complain.

Reactions: Gadarene
Upvote 0

Gadarene

-______-
Apr 16, 2012
London
✟75,247.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Labour
Was at a great talk in London last night (thrown by spiked news, great site, check them out) and someone made the point regarding this plan of Khan's - he said he didn't want his daughters to be harmed by this.

He is in effect treating us like his children.

Upvote 0

Gadarene

-______-
Apr 16, 2012
London
✟75,247.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Labour
I think I once read that for every vocal complainer, there are 10-20 people who agree, but don't bother to complain.

That's still 740,000 people if we take the more liberal estimate - and again assuming unique complainants.

Greater London has 13.5m people.

Again, so what does it matter what the easiest-offended minority think?

Reactions: MehGuy
Upvote 0

MehGuy

Supporter
Jul 23, 2007
Minnesota
✟1,154,935.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Sure...but why isn't that viewed in the same way for other scenarios?

For example...should commercials for BMW be banned because they might make people who can't afford one feel bad?

This idea that "we can't hurt anyone's feelings because they haven't achieved the same things we have" still seems backwards to me. You're punishing people for hard work and success at that point.

Hey, don't give the SJWs any ideas.. :p

Reactions: ThatRobGuy
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

MehGuy

Supporter
Jul 23, 2007
Minnesota
✟1,154,935.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
we shall rename the BMW the SJW!

sozial justische wagen

I wouldn't feel safe driving in something like that. The designers might have chosen not to install airbags because they felt like airbags were objectifying women's boobs, and I'll end up hitting a tree and splitting my head open because there were not airbags to deploy. Lol.

Upvote 0

Gadarene

-______-
Apr 16, 2012
London
✟75,247.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Labour
I wouldn't feel safe driving in something like that. The designers might have chosen not to install airbags because they felt like airbags were objectifying women's boobs, and I'll end up hitting a tree and splitting my head open because there were not airbags to deploy. Lol.

Don't tell me to wear my seatbelt!

Teach dashboards not to go through my skull!

Upvote 0

MehGuy

Supporter
Jul 23, 2007
Minnesota
✟1,154,935.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I think the sozial justische wagen would make a good meme, lol.

giphy.gif

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

TerranceL

Sarcasm is kind of an art isn't it?
Jul 3, 2009
✟105,808.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
think of my fitness pal as a text based RPG with motion controls
Pretty much!

Actually... there is an app out there that tells you a story about zombies and whatnot, the idea is you go out jogging, have your gps turned on, it plays music from your library, then breaks in with scripted news reports of zombies, then it'll do a "ZOMBIES ARE CHASING YOU RUN!" and depending how fast and how long you keep moving it'll tell you if you got away. I've never actually messed with it but I believe there is also a base building aspect to it.

https://zombiesrungame.com/

Upvote 0

TerranceL

Sarcasm is kind of an art isn't it?
Jul 3, 2009
✟105,808.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
The kids who get perfect SAT scores set unrealistic standards for test scores. Let's off them next.
Give it time. We has a large part of our society that seems to worship at the altar of mediocrity.

http://www.nationalreview.com/artic...nfairly-disadvantaging-others-katherine-timpf

In an interview with ABC Radio last week, philosopher and professor Adam Swift said that since “bedtime stories activities . . . do indeed foster and produce . . . [desired] familial relationship goods,” he wouldn’t want to ban them, but that parents who “engage in bedtime-stories activities” should definitely at least feel kinda bad about it sometimes:

Reactions: jimmyjimmy
Upvote 0

jimmyjimmy

Pardoned Rebel
Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status