Your dreams.
✟30,570.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
London's new mayor, Sadiq Khan, has announced that advertisements that portray "unhealthy or unrealistic body images" are to be banned from the city's public transport.

In a press release, the London mayor's office said that "from next month, Transport for London," or TfL, "will not allow ads which could reasonably be seen as likely to cause pressure to conform to an unrealistic or unhealthy body shape, or as likely to create body confidence issues, particularly among young people."

http://www.businessinsider.com/lond...body-images-from-tfl-adverts-2016-6?r=UK&IR=T

Seems infantalizing.

MehGuy

A member of the less neotenous sex..
Site Supporter
Jul 23, 2007
Minnesota
✟1,163,902.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
This better be for both genders.

The more fat you put on a woman model the more muscle you need to take away from a male model.

The more age you put on a woman model the more height you need to take away from a male model.

Men are not attracted to old fat women, and women are not attracted to small scrawny men. If we're going to be cruel to the male gender equality demands that we be cruel to the female gender too.

I certainly do not want to see this turning out to be something that is only done for women. There cannot be any billboards featuring old fat women next to tall men who have lots of muscles. I know many feminists would foam at the mouth and be gleeful for something like this to happen, but the hypocrisy needs to be captured and spread throughout the Internet and the outrage needs to be fierce.

Honestly I really wouldn't be surprised if this happens. Of course most of the women will go "boo hoo" and mock any men who dare speak up about the double standards. They just add more fuel for our hate, and more resolve to be cruel about women's body insecurities. I've seen this kind of stuff happen on Buzzfeed and other feminist sites all the time.

Upvote 0

willowsbible

Jun 11, 2016
Core County Galway
✟8,440.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
I heard about this yesterday. The excuse is to have no tolerance for 'body shaming'. Though the parameters for what constitutes banned unrealistic body images aren't specific save for the reports are about women models thus far.

Nice inroad to implementing sharia law concerning women's attire censorship. Why is a thin healthy woman model something that constitutes body shaming of people that aren't thin?

Reactions: brinny
Upvote 0

Cearbhall

May 10, 2013
United States
✟122,284.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Seems infantalizing.
Nope, it's just smart business. Why would you continue to display advertising that you know will mean you have to field thousands of angry calls and emails from your customers?

The one in the article went up while I was living there. Man, I hated looking at that ridiculousness. Fortunately, it got removed pretty quickly after the city-wide uproar. It was a hot topic for all the wrong reasons.

Remember that this is partly cultural. In the U.S., it's normal to see an ad like that. In the UK, it came across as being in poor taste and culturally irrelevant. Londoners aren't vain like Americans. I was embarrassed to look at it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Catherineanne
Upvote 0

MehGuy

Site Supporter
Jul 23, 2007
Minnesota
✟1,163,902.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I heard about this yesterday. The excuse is to have no tolerance for 'body shaming'. Though the parameters for what constitutes banned unrealistic body images aren't specific save for the reports are about women models thus far.

Nice inroad to implementing sharia law concerning women's attire censorship. Why is a thin healthy woman model something that constitutes body shaming of people that aren't thin?

Yeah you can already see the huge holes where the sjw vile will seep in, lol.

Men with lots of muscles are healthy!

Upvote 0

MehGuy

Site Supporter
Jul 23, 2007
Minnesota
✟1,163,902.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
sjw vile?
Social justice warrior vile..

In other words max amount of hypocrisy and double standards.

It won't be surprising at all if unrealistic male models stay posted and feminists don't make a peep about it.

Upvote 0

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution

My thoughts exactly.

See post #8 on this thread and the video:

http://www.christianforums.com/threads/pray-for-england.7853658/#post-69719666

Upvote 0

willowsbible

Jun 11, 2016
Core County Galway
✟8,440.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Social justice warrior vile..

In other words max amount of hypocrisy and double standards.

It won't be surprising at all if unrealistic male models stay posted and feminists don't make a peep about it.
I thought that is what was meant by sjw. The 'ville' threw me. I've not read it written as such before.

I think double standard in this case is a very real possibility. When they can airbrush six pack ab's on a male model for a swimsuit advertisement that's going a bit far to impart idol worship in marketing.

I would respect an ad company that had a fluffy male model in a suit too. Please, by all that's Holy, let that suit not be a Speedo! "Look mom! The latest Men's Health magazine advertises dunlaps now?
Dunlaps honey?
Yeah, his tummy dun lapped over his suit. But I'm sure its there. It says so on the ad header! "SPEEDO".
Not fast enough to avoid falling guts but still. :p

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

willowsbible

Jun 11, 2016
Core County Galway
✟8,440.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
My thoughts exactly.

See post #8 on this thread and the video:

http://www.christianforums.com/threads/pray-for-england.7853658/#post-69719666
Notice how the one man said Jesus wasn't a Christian? He was a muslim! That's in the Koran. Surah 9:30

Reinforcement police didn't arrive for 30 minutes.
That's not all that surprising what's in that video. It's all in the Koran. God protect the world from the political ideology of Islam.
Koran Surah 5:51

Surah 2:191+ describes the convert to islam or die directive concerning infidels. That would be Christians, Jews, and all non-muslims. Recite the shahada, the affirmation of faith. "There is only one god..." Or pay the Jizyah. A tax that pertains to certain non-muslim and live. Or don't do either and be killed.
Sounds like a tolerant faith doesn't it?

Being islam allows multiple wives , the point of muslims immigrating to the west is to create offspring and increase their numbers. When they have enough they'll work to take over under sharia.

Upvote 0

nightflight

Veteran
Mar 13, 2006
Your dreams.
✟30,570.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Nope, it's just smart business. Why would you continue to display advertising that you know will mean you have to field thousands of angry calls and emails from your customers?

Lucky for business people in the London area that a man was elected as mayor who know's more about their business then they do!

Upvote 0

MehGuy

Site Supporter
Jul 23, 2007
Minnesota
✟1,163,902.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I thought that is what was meant by sjw. The 'ville' threw me. I've not read it written as such before.

I think double standard in this case is a very real possibility. When they can airbrush six pack ab's on a male model for a swimsuit advertisement that's going a bit far to impart idol worship in marketing.

Yes, it most certainly is a real possibility.

I spent my teenage and young adult years being mocked by other women for my lack of height. I get to mock women as they lose the battle against weight gain and become more masculine looking as they age. It's only fair.

Unfortunately I had to come of age during one of the most hypocritical times in history when it comes to body image.

New media like Buzzfeed and tumblr are constantly making articles about hot guys that only feature tall men with lots of muscles, this is absolutely no time for us men to consider being kind towards unattractive women. Men, women will never accept our faults, don't accept theirs.

I see overweight women on some of the new magazines. Staring at their stupid faces, I'm pretty confident that they like to make fun of short men privately among their girlfriends. The hypocrite fat and old looking Amy Schumer did it out in the open. Of course there was no outrage from feminists. Short men are fair game apparently.

Upvote 0

MehGuy

Site Supporter
Jul 23, 2007
Minnesota
✟1,163,902.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Lucky for business people in the London area that a man was elected as mayor who know's more about their business then they do!

Feeding off people's insecurities is often a good way to bring in a lot of money especially when you're in the diet/muscle business.

Reactions: Larniavc
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

grandvizier1006

I don't use this anymore, but I still follow Jesus
Site Supporter
Dec 2, 2014
MS
✟664,118.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
As much as I wanted to make a connection between sharia law and this, i couldn't. There probably isn't one. But the fact that he used the term "body-shaming" sounds like some feminists convinced him to enact this. Or, less interestingly, he could have just been concerned for his daughters :|

Although if he's going to want to get rid of all sexual depictions of women, it will take a lot of work.

Upvote 0

willowsbible

Jun 11, 2016
Core County Galway
✟8,440.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
As much as I wanted to make a connection between sharia law and this, i couldn't. There probably isn't one. But the fact that he used the term "body-shaming" sounds like some feminists convinced him to enact this. Or, less interestingly, he could have just been concerned for his daughters :|

Although if he's going to want to get rid of all sexual depictions of women, it will take a lot of work.
"Sexual depiction" is subjective also.

There's a bodyshaming.org website that defines body shaming. Body shaming is defined as inappropriate negative statements and (or) attitutes toward another person's weight or size. It can also reach into the discrimination against individuals who may be overweight.

Now take a look at Sharia's codes of modesty.

Being able to see the body of a woman , her size of any proportions, is the first step that then allows what can be judged under sharia as inappropriate statements, attitudes or behavior toward another person. Typically women.

That's because everyone has an opinion about appearances because humans are typically visually biased. We see and we judge.

On that linked codes of modesty website the first code of laws concerns how a woman looks at her own body!

No chance of "body shaming" here.
iu

Body shaming, "codes of modesty", can have very horrific repercussions on women and girls.

2002 Saudi Arabia
Saudi Arabia's religious police stopped schoolgirls from leaving a blazing building because they were not wearing correct Islamic dress, according to Saudi newspapers

Last edited:
Reactions: Blondepudding
Upvote 0

grandvizier1006

I don't use this anymore, but I still follow Jesus
Site Supporter
Dec 2, 2014
MS
✟664,118.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
There's a bodyshaming.org website that defines body shaming. Body shaming is defined as inappropriate negative statements and (or) attitutes toward another person's weight or size. It can also reach into the discrimination against individuals who may be overweight.

Now take a look at Sharia's codes of modesty.

Being able to see the body of a woman , her size of any proportions, is the first step that then allows what can be judged under sharia as inappropriate statements, attitudes or behavior toward another person. Typically women.

On that linked codes of modesty website the first code of laws concerns how a woman looks at her own body!

No chance of "body shaming" here.
iu

Body shaming, "codes of modesty", can have very horrific repercussions on women and girls.

2002 Saudi Arabia
Saudi Arabia's religious police stopped schoolgirls from leaving a blazing building because they were not wearing correct Islamic dress, according to Saudi newspapers
Looks awful. A lawsuit over acknowledging that someone is fat? And the Muslim modesty guide was on their own site, not that of a detractor's!

Reactions: Blondepudding
Upvote 0

willowsbible

Jun 11, 2016
Core County Galway
✟8,440.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
I object to the London mayor's description of "unrealistic body images". If a woman is what some would call, hot, how is that a bad thing? It isn't unrealistic because she really does have that hot body. Why should she be ashamed of that? Why should it be banned from view because a person that doesn't look like that may be upset?

Upvote 0

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟493,565.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Er, what? What does that have to do with anything?
The mayor is a muslim, case closed!

I sort of agree with the notion, by the way. Unrealistic, photoshopped images for both genders set unrealisitic expecations and cause lots of suffering. If the city of london (who runs the public transport, by the way) decides that it doesn't want to show such advertisement, that is their decision, is it not?

Or are you people clamouring for a buisness owner to lose the right to decide what happens in his buisness? Is that what you desire?

By the way, where was the great outcry on christian forum when the UK blocked inappropriate content?

I guess it's only horrific when a muslim bans the oggling of women?

Upvote 0