Lockheed Martin laser weapon burns through truck engine a mile away.

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
Wisconsin, United States of America
✟652,419.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
It's method of operation sounds like something from science fiction:

ATHENA uses a technique the company calls spectral beam combining, which is when several fiber laser modules combine to form a single beam, making it more efficient and lethal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djZFHTa6TfA

Upvote 0

SteveNZ

Adventurer for my King
Oct 24, 2011
Nelson New Zealand
✟8,913.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Wouldn't want to have been in the truck at the time.
The technology has been around for a while but it sounds like getting a portable system is in progress.

Still for all it is worth even a basic cannon has more range and can shoot in a trajectory over hills. I think that the technology of laser pinpointing (creating a target) and then a missile to lock onto the target, as already in place, is probably more use.

Yuk ..... I am not a military chap so it is a layman's (who likes heroic movies) view

PS- The laser reminds me of Archimedes and his various exploits.

Upvote 0

SteveNZ

Adventurer for my King
Oct 24, 2011
Nelson New Zealand
✟8,913.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What I really want is a Romulon T disruptor! No evidence, no bodies, no DNA, the perfect weapon!

Hmmm ..... would Walmart have one... LOL

This thread reminds me of a science book from primary school. Had a bit about man may one day land on the moon. And with all of these interesting pictures of what it would be like.
Sniff.... The lunar module of Apollo 13 looked so different....

PS- When Neil Armstrong did his thing I was in class listening to the radio... as were a good billion or so others.... it was amazing...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟652,419.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
And what happens if someone has a mirror to turn the beam back to where it came from? Is this possible? Yeah, I might be talking like a seventh grader, but someone might give an intelligent answer, anyway :)

Oddly enough, the beam probably would go through the mirror. I actually heard recently that lasers are used to cut mirrors in their manufacturing process. There's even a youtube video about it. The laser cuts the mirror from the reflective side. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-VlVmBZGI4

Upvote 0

SteveNZ

Adventurer for my King
Oct 24, 2011
Nelson New Zealand
✟8,913.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
And what happens if someone has a mirror to turn the beam back to where it came from? Is this possible? Yeah, I might be talking like a seventh grader, but someone might give an intelligent answer, anyway :)
Never thought of that.
It wouldn't be too difficult to reflect or at least disperse such a thing. Hmm .... you would need to be pretty reflective to the light source which means you wouldn't be camouflaged.

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟652,419.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
More weapons of war.

I know. But if they aren't developed by us, then we stand to be defeated by those who do. It's an arms race, which is something that will be here until Christ comes back. As long as sin is still here, we're living in a sinful world.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟586,471.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Possibly it could have more control of what gets hit, maybe not hurting surrounding noncombatants, or not as much?

It might not cause the explosion that a missile or cannon shell or RPG would. So, it might be more specific in its destruction ? ?

Upvote 0

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Site Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Possibly it could have more control of what gets hit, maybe not hurting surrounding noncombatants, or not as much?

It might not cause the explosion that a missile or cannon shell or RPG would. So, it might be more specific in its destruction ? ?

True. War could use a bit of cleaning up (no pun intended). I mean body parts scattered all over the place.......

I thought that's what drones and such were supposed to fix.

Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟586,471.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
True. War could use a bit of cleaning up (no pun intended). I mean body parts scattered all over the place.......

I thought that's what drones and such were supposed to fix.
There's something about how you need to have a multi-resource offense, not depending too much on one thing.

A drone can stick a needle right where it hurts a lot, but you need other things in action, too.

I think of how they could blast music and anti-radical stuff into the ISIS zone. They used loud playing of Buddhist chanting in the hope of breaking down David Koresh's resistance. So, they could blast them with "akbar" something, about something being better than ISIS. I think "akbar" means better and radicals might yell "Allah akbar" when raiding. So, you could turn this around.

And during the World War II activities, they dropped fake parachutists which could make popping sounds so they sounded like they were firing guns. This could tie up German resources, and confuse them about where an attack was coming from.

So, you could combine a parachute attack hoax with amplifiers that maybe can broadcast "akbar" something, while parachute dollies come in for a landing, and this could draw them out to be targets, or it could test if a certain area was well-defended or not. Or, when they come screaming and streaming, thinking they are going to get their hands on some Navy SEALS or other special ops soldiers, a drone can do some sniping.

And women could be recorded for making the "akbar" racket, so they would hear women yelling that they are better than the radicals.

Also, that laser, I suppose, could pop through barriers, like bullets > have heat sensing devices to detect where the radicals are in cover, and send them laser pops . . . maybe at night when in the desert you can detect heat of warm engines and bodies . . . like they plinked hidden tanks that were not concealing their heat.

By the way, are laser weapons quiet so they might be harder to locate?

But if you stop an evil person from doing something, you need to be able to keep him or her from doing something else . . . maybe worse and not so easy to detect. They stopped Saddam, but now he's not around to stop ISIS. So, if you stop them, what could be next??

Only God can handle this right :)

Upvote 0