• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Living with Asperger's

FergusonTO35

Jun 24, 2013
✟7,723.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Hey folks, I'm 36 years old and have AS. Just thought I would introduce myself and talk about this condition and how it has impacted my life.

I suppose I've been an odd bird ever since I was a little child. It manifested itself early on with me being fascinated by things most children are not concerned with. Just routine, everyday stuff that most people don't even notice I would just go nuts over padlocks, rubber boots, commercial logos, farm machinery, lawn and garden equipment; those are the ones I can remember. Also I've been a very picky eater since I was little. Certain categories of food I will not eat because they just look and smell absolutely disgusting.

As I got older some new quirks and strengths emerged. I was able to read and write from the get go in first grade. I love History and would read it for entertainment. I am terrible at math and cant really understand anything beyond about a third grade level. I didn't place much value on personal friendships although I did have playmates. Many of my recess periods were spent in the library looking at books, I thought playground activities got boring pretty fast.

In junior high and high school my AS began to conflict pretty heavily with the desire for romance and social status. For the first time in my life I began to pay attention to my clothes, hair, and music. I desperately wanted a girlfriend but was totally clueless about how to get one. I would develop these huge crushes on specific girls that would last for weeks at a time. I was pretty brash and loud about the object of my affection. Needless to say the girls weren't impressed.

My high school years were a complete waste, to say the least. I had convinced myself that I was a nobody if I wasn't popular and running with a crowd. I had a fair number of acquaintances I hung out with but, in retrospect, very few of those were sincere friendships. Some of those people were quite toxic and planted distinctly un-Christian ideas in my mind. I joined them in their horrid activities, acquired a criminal record, and had to change high schools twice. By the prevenient Grace of God I actually graduated on time and was able to get away from that awful environment. To this day I am not on Facebook or other social media, I absolutely do not want to see anyone from that time ever again.

Since that time I have managed to become a fairly successful adult. From my sophomore year of college until I got married I worked full time and always lived on my own. I earned a B.A. and M.A. in History from two respected universities. The first ten years of my work life I worked as a car mechanic. Cars and mechanical things have always been one of my AS obsessions. I couldn't work fast enough to earn a really good living at it but I always supported myself. It is for sure that I never was really a part of the rough and tumble party all night/work all day blue collar culture. My coworkers always expressed amazement that I didn't go to strip clubs. When I was 25 I started going to church again and have done so ever since.

When I was 29 I decided I was sick of working on cars and got a nice office job. In my new line of work I became known as the quiet guy. I had learned by this time that life is alot better when I keep my mouth shut and I still practice this today. I also met a great young lady who is a school psychologist (just what I need, right?) and we started going out. She is the only woman that ever stuck with me for more than three months. She is so good to me I don't know how I could express it here. When I was 32 we got married and have been ever since.

So I suppose there is hope for being an AS person in a non-AS world. I just try to use my strengths whenever possible, and am cautious to avoid situations where my AS characteristics would cause problems. I also know that the more I practice holy living the better my life is. Sorry for such a long post but I just felt compelled to share. Feel free to holler at me!

Reactions: Noxot

dayhiker

Mature veteran
Sep 13, 2006
MA
✟220,077.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Ferguson - welcome to CF.

Great to hear of the wise decisions that you have made the past few years. I have some similarities and some big differences with you, but I can also say I've had a successful and good life. When I got into my 50s I had finally learned enough about people to interact with them in a way that they actually enjoy being around me now. The short of it is that what little emotions I have I express and I tell stories rather than talking about facts from the things I learn in my obsessions.

Anyways, enjoyed reading your post.

Upvote 0

eatenbylocusts

Senior Veteran
Oct 13, 2005
✟14,434.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Thank you for your post. I had to wipe some tears away. My son is 22 and hates math, loves history, but is not mechanically inclined. He has never had a gf, but tried to initiate dates in HS and at Jr. College with some sad results.

The most important thing is that his spiritual growth blossomed when we started going to our present church and I had the pleasure and pride of hearing him give his testimony before he was baptized by immersion a few years back. Now he is working on a degree in Film, but I have no idea what he will do with that. His amateur filming makes us nauseated. He started looking for a part-time job recently and I suggested he look into tutoring in History since he is passionate and knowledgeable in that area.

He has really been trying to cultivate some Christian friendships at church and is frustrated in that area. It's amazing to me to see how he greets everyone and talks to many people after church that he knows from his past mini churches and groups. I thought he had somewhat of a relationship with a young married couple who came to his last birthday celebration and utilized his help with moving them twice in 3 months. They just had a baby and didn't even let him know despite asking for my mom or my son to be on call just in case she needed a ride to the hospital. My son sent a congratulatory text to his friend when we found out from someone else the baby had been born and the guy still hasn't responded.

I can't protect my baby besides putting him in God's care and giving him advice when he asks, so I appreciate hearing about your experiences.

Upvote 0

MoeSzyslak

Sep 1, 2007
✟15,971.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Thanks for sharing your story. If I can ask, outside of your wife have you managed to make any friends?

I have managed to become successful in my career and have been married for 15 years. However, I have never managed to make a friend of the same gender. 45 years old and it still completely eludes me. When I say none, I mean none. It is going on ten years since I have gone out socially with a friend/person.

Upvote 0

LittleQin

Aug 24, 2014
✟7,899.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Some people are completely unlike the majority.

Those people who are 'different' can easily (and often do) use their differences to help others in need. I have seen it time and time again.

It doesn't matter if one has 'Aspergers', they just do things differently, and it often teaches people many things.

Blessings.

Upvote 0

Sword of the Lord

In need of a physician.
Dec 29, 2012
Not in Heaven yet
✟144,784.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
The first part of the OP related to me perfectly, but I'm afraid I haven't had your success. Hopefully as my medical team investigates whether or not I have this, we can find ways to help me to become successful.

Upvote 0

HazelAngel

A New Zealander that is proud of her country
May 13, 2007
Watching a Disney Movie
✟25,039.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
In Relationship
FergussonTO35 I like your story. And you are right, there is hope out there in the real world for people with Aspergers Syndrome. I am so privelaged to have the friends I have today and am lucky to have such good friends as my friends. With me, I see everyone as my friend and have had toxic situations so I tend to stay away from that a bit but I see everyone as my friend on here as well. Kinda odd is it not? For me, its just normal for me.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

grandvizier1006

I don't use this anymore, but I still follow Jesus
Site Supporter
Dec 2, 2014
MS
✟664,118.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
The very FACT that you were able to move on from the bad parts of your life, able to get a successful job, and AN NT WIFE (that last one amazes me the most) is very inspiring to me, as a young Aspie who is still struggling. It's hard for me to accept that I'm different, because I'm worried that these differences will prevent me from having a normal life. I certainly don't want to BE normal (I always figured that if I was turned into an NT the first thing I would say is, "Change me back!" :D), but I do want to FEEL normal, like I'm a human. The fact that you were able to do pretty well for yourself even if you weren't diagnosed until adulthood is very reassuring to me.

And your life sounds a lot like how mine was, minus the criminal part (my acquaintances were never criminals). Sometimes I'm worried that we Aspies are all the same, like our condition makes us all indistinguishable from one another. On one hand that's comforting because it makes me remember that I'm not alone, but on the other hand I want to be special. Just not TOO special so that my problems won't mean that I won't be able to relate to any NTs or they won't be able to relate to me. I don't really want to think of people as either neurotypicals or Aspies, really, just equal people in the sight of God. It doesn't matter to Him, after all :)

Upvote 0

FergusonTO35

Jun 24, 2013
✟7,723.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Thanks for all the replies, I just now noticed them For some reason every time I visited this site it appeared that my initial post was the only thing in this thread. I'm not sure if I have a very severe case of AS or not. I have learned a great deal about how to keep it under wraps when I need to. The downside is that I am very untrusting of others, and have actually learned how to be content and satisfied in life with minimal human contact.

Eatenbylocusts: Here is my paltry advice for your son on romance and friendships. As far as romance goes, I think I just finally found a woman who loves my other qualities so much that AS wasn't a big deal. And trust me, I did ALOT of searching. I also came to the conclusion that God wasn't just going to drop a perfect wife into my lap, He expected me to put some effort into it. Your son may find that his life works better by learning to live without alot of human interaction other than church. I am not trying to be rude or crass, I now realize that my life would have been much better if I had understood that years ago.

Outside of my wife, I have one best friend and his younger brother whom I have known for 26 years. I have a bunch of co-workers and church acquaintances but we don't really hang out or anything. Foods I find disgusting are primarily anything whose sight, smell, or origin offends me. Slimy vegetables such as beans and mystery meat such as Spam are the best examples.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

grandvizier1006

Site Supporter
Dec 2, 2014
MS
✟664,118.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Coming from you, that is very nice. :) I used to not like diversity, kind of thought it was a liberal buzzword, but yeah, we need some diversity in the church. Although from God's perspective, it would be related to talents, spiritual gifts and character traits, not race or ethnicity. People with Asperger's have a lot to bring to the table.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,256,983.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat
Trust is very hard for me to. How do you deal with God having so many trust issues? I admit, it is an issue for me too... In my experience I have learned to stay far away from anything remotely like Calvinism, it has caused so many issues in my head (my depressive tendencies turn into negative religious obsession).

I like Lutheranism or Episcopalianism though my take on it is more "Catholic". (I used to be Eastern Orthodox but they are not so cool to be a freethinker there now days, some are very moralistic), I have one of those little olive wood holding crosses and a few icons, and when things bother me too much and I feel like my faith and doubts are getting the better of me, I grab a holding cross and pray. I also have plenty of holy water on hand.

Maybe it's only an issue for me because I've only been a serious Christian about eight or nine years. Before that, I was agnostic for years, and as a kid and young teen, a Methodist (but I learned almost nothing about spirituality, my experience was in liberal Methodist churches geared towards extroverts).

Upvote 0

grandvizier1006

Site Supporter
Dec 2, 2014
MS
✟664,118.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Trust is very hard for me to. How do you deal with God having so many trust issues? I admit, it is an issue for me too... In my experience I have learned to stay far away from anything remotely like Calvinism, it has caused so many issues in my head (my depressive tendencies turn into negative religious obsession).

I like Lutheranism or Episcopalianism though my take on it is more "Catholic". (I used to be Eastern Orthodox but they are not so cool to be a freethinker there now days, some are very moralistic), I have one of those little olive wood holding crosses and a few icons, and when things bother me too much and I feel like my faith and doubts are getting the better of me, I grab a holding cross and pray. I also have plenty of holy water on hand.

Maybe it's only an issue for me because I've only been a serious Christian about eight or nine years. Before that, I was agnostic for years, and as a kid and young teen, a Methodist (but I learned almost nothing about spirituality, my experience was in liberal Methodist churches geared towards extroverts).
Do you mean trusting in God or feeling like God feels this certain way about you? I guess one thing to do is just relax and realize that yes, God is watching you and cares for you, and your feelings won't change that.

Upvote 0

jjchris

Aug 3, 2015
✟15,163.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Wow. I love this topic. Im just reading and feeling like.. ...im not the only christian with autism ^^ in my church im the only one with autism. And because some stupid unsocial things i did they dont take me very seriously. (Or maybe it just feels like it..) i have friends with autism from a psychiatric institute i did go to. But they are all atheist. Sadly enough. :( (psychiatric institute sounds a bit scary. But my english language skills are not that good so I'm not sure how to say it)

Upvote 0

jjchris

Aug 3, 2015
✟15,163.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
About faith. First i didn't understand anything about "how to get in heaven" to say it very boldly. But now im viewing it a very autistic way. Simply: faith + sadness about sin + willingness to not sin again = heaven. The love part i found really wierd in the beginning. Because yeah.. how are i gonna love someone i have never seen.. whole my life I've never even got a girlfriend [emoji14] but i feel it more and more right now.

Upvote 0

BookofMatt

Jesus is Lord
Nov 7, 2012
California
✟37,924.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Wow. I love this topic. Im just reading and feeling like.. ...im not the only christian with autism ^^ in my church im the only one with autism. And because some stupid unsocial things i did they dont take me very seriously. (Or maybe it just feels like it..) i have friends with autism from a psychiatric institute i did go to. But they are all atheist. Sadly enough. :( (psychiatric institute sounds a bit scary. But my english language skills are not that good so I'm not sure how to say it)
About faith. First i didn't understand anything about "how to get in heaven" to say it very boldly. But now im viewing it a very autistic way. Simply: faith + sadness about sin + willingness to not sin again = heaven. The love part i found really wierd in the beginning. Because yeah.. how are i gonna love someone i have never seen.. whole my life I've never even got a girlfriend [emoji14] but i feel it more and more right now.

That's great to hear. Sometimes it can be tough to wrap your head around these concepts from an autistic viewpoint. It took me a while to grow in my faith, because I'm also the only autistic person in my church. Once you grasp the "love part", though, almost all of the difficulties start melting away. :)

Upvote 0