Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
There were no other "man races". The Bible teaches that Adam and Eve were the first two humans created.
Then what was the land of Nod where Cain found a wife? (Gen 4:16)

Upvote 0

Fascinated With God

Traditional Apostolic Methodist
Aug 30, 2012
NY
✟16,259.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
It was settled by descendents of Adam and Eve. They lived hundreds of years and would have produced many offspring, who in turn would have produced offspring.
That requires a dramatic time span between verse 16 and 17. That seems to me to be an assumption which the text does not directly support. There is no indication of a large time lap between verses 16 & 17.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
There were no other "man races". The Bible teaches that Adam and Eve were the first two humans created.

It seems that if the change were only a spiritual creation or change of heart, then Eve would not have been needed. Plus mating with ""wild-people" would not have left a clean path for the line of Jesus. And Gods chosen people are big on ancestry and lineage and such.

Upvote 0

Jig

Christ Follower
Oct 3, 2005
Texas
✟15,714.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Just a point of information. People who believe in literal genesis think men have one less rib.

That is incorrect. Men and women have the same number of ribs. Yay biology and human physiology class.

Although this is the common translation, the Hebrew word does not really mean 'rib'. The Hebrew word sela literally means 'side'. This same word is used in 2 Samuel 16:13 to mean the 'side' of a hill.

We don't know what God took out of Adam, but even if it was a rib this wouldn't have altered Adam's DNA. He still would have passed on the genes for a complete set of ribs.

Upvote 0

mathetes123

Dec 26, 2011
✟10,634.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Just a point of information. People who believe in literal genesis think men have one less rib.

That is incorrect. Men and women have the same number of ribs. Yay biology and human physiology class.

What a minority of men and women believe and what the Bible teach are not necessarily the same thing.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Calminian

Senior Veteran
Feb 14, 2005
Low Dessert
✟49,695.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Although this is the common translation, the Hebrew word does not really mean 'rib'. The Hebrew word sela literally means 'side'. This same word is used in 2 Samuel 16:13 to mean the 'side' of a hill.

We don't know what God took out of Adam, but even if it was a rib this wouldn't have altered Adam's DNA. He still would have passed on the genes for a complete set of ribs.

:thumbsup: Was just going to comment similarly. You beat me to it.

Upvote 0
K

kenvin

Ah so the kjv is in error. Why should I take it literally?

Upvote 0

ChetSinger

Apr 18, 2006
✟124,958.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Hello. I would approach any 400-year-old translation with caution, for two reasons: 1) our language has changed since then, and 2) our knowledge and quantity of ancient sources has increased since then.

Young's and ESV still say 'rib', while NET Bible says 'side'. Myself, I don't think the difference has doctrinal significance.

As an interesting aside, if you wanted to remove a bone sample from the place in the human body most likely to grow back and leave the subject without permanent damage, you'd remove a rib. Coincidence?

Upvote 0
K

kenvin

Hello. I would approach any 400-year-old translation with caution, for two reasons: 1) our language has changed since then, and 2) the quantity of our ancient sources has increased since then.

Young's and ESV still say 'rib', while NET Bible says 'side'. Myself, I don't think the difference has doctrinal significance.

As an interesting aside, if you wanted to remove a bone sample from the place in the human body most likely to grow back and leave the subject without permanent damage, you'd remove a rib.

So we don't know if it's murder I'd kill or rib vs side.

Doesn't seem like a book to take as literal history or science.

Upvote 0

ChetSinger

Apr 18, 2006
✟124,958.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
So we don't know if it's murder I'd kill or rib vs side.

Doesn't seem like a book to take as literal history or science.
You're a brother, right? I think if we just take it as God's word, honor Him, and love the brethren, we'll be on the right track.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Jig

Christ Follower
Oct 3, 2005
Texas
✟15,714.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

I will not bite your bait and go off on a KJV-only tangent!

You commented that some people who read the Bible literally might believe that if God took the rib out of Adam to make the woman, then all men now have one less rib than women. Which we know is anatomically incorrect.

However, this last point must be assumed by the reader and does not come from a literal reading of the text - even if it says 'rib' and not 'side'. Just because God took one of Adam's ribs doesn't logically follow that his children would have one less rib too. The text no where suggests this.

That's like saying just because you lose a finger in an accident, your future children will also be missing a finger. That's not how genetics work.

Upvote 0
K

kenvin

I will not bite your bait and go off on a KJV-only tangent!

You commented that some people who read the Bible literally might believe that if God took the rib out of Adam to make the woman, then all men now have one less rib than women. Which we know is anatomically incorrect.

However, this last point must be assumed by the reader and does not come from a literal reading of the text - even if it says 'rib' and not 'side'. Just because God took one of Adam's ribs doesn't logically follow that his children would have one less rib too. The text no where suggests this.

That's like saying just because you lose a finger in an accident, your future children will also be missing a finger. That's not how genetics work.

Many people think men have one less rib. Prob only slightly fewer than actually believe the world is 6000 years old. I know I have heard men have one less rib told to me as fact.

Upvote 0

Jig

Christ Follower
Oct 3, 2005
Texas
✟15,714.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Many people think men have one less rib. Prob only slightly fewer than actually believe the world is 6000 years old. I know I have heard men have one less rib told to me as fact.

I'm not saying people don't believe this. I've heard that myth too. However, you are assuming there is a correlation between a belief in a young earth and belief in a "one less rib" man if the text is read for it's plain sense.

This is simply untrue. There cannot be a direct correlation if we use just the biblical text. While the text does not explicitly state (or even imply for that matter!) that Adam's male descendants would be born missing a rib, the text is very explicit that God created in six days.

Upvote 0
K

kenvin

I'm not saying people don't believe this. I've heard that myth too. However, you are assuming there is a correlation between a belief in a young earth and belief in a "one less rib" man.

This is simple untrue. There cannot be a direct correlation if we use just the biblical text. While the text does not explicitly state (or even imply for that matter!) that Adam's male descendants would be born missing a rib, the text is very explicit that God created in six days.

The myth of men having one less rib is certainly correlated to the myth the world is 6000 years old.

Upvote 0