Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
maybe you could be even sillier if you tried?

He's more right than you think. The ark would have barely floated, being so heavy. Large swells would have washed right over the top of it. The lower in the water the more stable against wind, waves, and strong currents; just ask any naval architect. :)

Upvote 0

Hespera

Dec 16, 2008
usa
✟8,850.00
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
Private
He's more right than you think. The ark would have barely floated, being so heavy. Large swells would have washed right over the top of it. The lower in the water the more stable against wind, waves, and strong currents; just ask any naval architect. :)

the story is a myth but you wont ever figure out that detail

Upvote 0

visa

May 15, 2011
✟311.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
The bible said it happened so a good creationist will do whatever it takes to make the reality fit the myth, even if it doesn't make sense it will still fit because the bible doesn't make much sense either.

I think this is very apt because creationists do nothing but try to deceive themselves and each other.
'Oh what a tangled web we weave when first we practice to deceive' Sir Walter Scott.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,909,532.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The bible said it happened so a good creationist will do whatever it takes to make the reality fit the myth...
Not this 'good creationist' -- and I still take flack for it.

So you might want to change that tune, eh?

Upvote 0

Hespera

Dec 16, 2008
usa
✟8,850.00
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
Private
The bible said it happened so a good creationist will do whatever it takes to make the reality fit the myth, even if it doesn't make sense it will still fit because the bible doesn't make much sense either.

I think this is very apt because creationists do nothing but try to deceive themselves and each other.
'Oh what a tangled web we weave when first we practice to deceive' Sir Walter Scott.
the ethics of deception isnt much an issue i guess.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

Then why do atheists and others attack the story as if it actually happened, i.e. questioning the 'fairness' of God? If the event never happened all those people and animals lived a long, happy life and died in their sleep at a good old age. It's all good. :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

You seem to know alot about how creationists think. Howzat? :)

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,909,532.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Then why do atheists and others attack the story as if it actually happened, i.e. questioning the 'fairness' of God?
:thumbsup: -- Excellent question!

However, over the years here, I've come to believe that they are not sincere in their quest.

Rather, they are venting some frustration out on God and/or His people -- and doing it behind question marks.

That's why you very seldom see a question like: How did God create the universe?

Instead, you'll see it worded something like: According to your myth, how did God create the universe?

In other words, they're really not asking a question, they're making a statement.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,909,532.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
You seem to know alot about how creationists think. Howzat? :)
They probably saw Jesus Christ, Superstar or The Passion of the Christ, and now they've convinced themselves they're qualified to take on a real creationist.

It's like watching CSI: Miami, then thinking you're some kind of forensics expert.

Upvote 0

Hespera

Dec 16, 2008
usa
✟8,850.00
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
Private
Then why do atheists and others attack the story as if it actually happened, i.e. questioning the 'fairness' of God? If the event never happened all those people and animals lived a long, happy life and died in their sleep at a good old age. It's all good. :)

Ok fair enough question i guess.

Its like this.

We of course dont think there is a god, or an ark, any of it.

From the atheist point of view, discussing gods motives and morals is the same as discussing the morals and motives of a character in a movie or novel.

it certainly is not in any way to say that any of the story is real. its just literary criticism.

got it now?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Cabal

Jul 22, 2007
London
✟30,012.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats

It's called debating - reductio ad absurdum, to be precise. Assume the opponent's proposition is true and then show how it fails - which theism does.

Upvote 0

Cabal

Jul 22, 2007
London
✟30,012.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats

:thumbsup: -- Excellent question!

However, over the years here, I've come to believe that they are not sincere in their quest.

Rather, they are venting some frustration out on God and/or His people -- and doing it behind question marks.

That's why you very seldom see a question like: How did God create the universe?

Instead, you'll see it worded something like: According to your myth, how did God create the universe?

In other words, they're really not asking a question, they're making a statement.

So, in other words, if we take you at your word and assume it did happen, then we're doing it wrong.

If we don't take you at your word but ask you to justify your point of view anyway, then we're doing it wrong.

It's not what we say....

Upvote 0

Cabal

Jul 22, 2007
London
✟30,012.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
They probably saw Jesus Christ, Superstar or The Passion of the Christ, and now they've convinced themselves they're qualified to take on a real creationist.

It's like watching CSI: Miami, then thinking you're some kind of forensics expert.

Or reading the Bible and thinking you know better than science.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,909,532.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
So, in other words, if we take you at your word and assume it did happen, then we're doing it wrong.
That'll be the day you (or any non-believer) takes me at my word, assumes it did happen, and gets it right.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Cabal

Jul 22, 2007
London
✟30,012.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
That'll be the day you (or any non-believer) takes me at my word, assumes it did happen, and gets it right.

No, you start throwing the "ooh but you don't understand" whine around when people successfully apply reductio ad absurdum to your beliefs. It's an convenient excuse for you, though not a good one. A prime example of this was going on earlier today when you had several people (Wiccan, psudo and me) pointing out that no-one actually has a problem with your argument that there's no empirical evidence for creation ex nihilo, just that there's no good reason to believe it on the basis of no evidence either, and you're still claiming the above....

I was borned ignit, and I'll die ignit.

The appropriate response then is to not make claims in a field where you're shown again and again that you're out of your depth :wave:

Reactions: tyke
Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
It's called debating - reductio ad absurdum, to be precise. Assume the opponent's proposition is true and then show how it fails - which theism does.

Well, we are sortof defenseless against mockery and sarcasm. :(

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Ok fair enough question i guess.

Its like this.

We of course dont think there is a god, or an ark, any of it.

From the atheist point of view, discussing gods motives and morals is the same as discussing the morals and motives of a character in a movie or novel.

it certainly is not in any way to say that any of the story is real. its just literary criticism.

got it now?

'OhYeah? SezYou.', is hardly literary criticism. :)

Upvote 0

Cabal

Jul 22, 2007
London
✟30,012.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Well, we are sortof defenseless against mockery and sarcasm. :(

Reductio ad absurdum is not necessarily the same thing as mockery and sarcasm - though if beliefs imply ridiculous things, then who's at fault here, the beliefs or the person pointing that out?

Upvote 0