Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Neither is understanding physics. Hell, I just started a thread that shows that a few users here don't understand basic math. Does that mean we take math on faith?

The biggest shortcoming I've seen is in English composition, grammar, spelling, punctuation, etc.

A lot of confusion is caused by overcomplicating a subject to the point where no one can understand it. I read a link on global warming that went on and on for many pages. The most useful information was only briefly touched on. The author then went on to demonstrate how well informed he was on the finer points of the subject, leaving everyone else, except those initiated as well as he, in the dark.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

crjmurray

The Bear. Not The Bull.
Dec 17, 2014
Lake Ouachita
✟16,029.00
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Private
The biggest shortcoming I've seen is in English composition, grammar, spelling, punctuation, etc.

Are you keeping up with the conversation or just making random bold comments that you have no intention of backing up?

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Are you keeping up with the conversation or just making random bold comments that you have no intention of backing up?

I don't wish to embarrass anyone.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Then you should keep your mouth shut.

Got under yer skin did I? Welcome to CF.

Do you really think your thread on 'probabilities' is basic math?

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Neither is understanding physics. Hell, I just started a thread that shows that a few users here don't understand basic math. Does that mean we take math on faith?

A lot of people who aren't good at math take it on faith that someone else will come up with the right answer.

Upvote 0

crjmurray

The Bear. Not The Bull.
Dec 17, 2014
Lake Ouachita
✟16,029.00
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Private
Got under yer skin did I? Welcome to CF.

Do you really think your thread on 'probabilities' is basic math?

It's basic statistics and probability in the form of riddles. It is math that anyone who thinks themselves capable of discussing science should be familiar with. So yes, basic math.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
It's basic statistics and probability in the form of riddles. It is math that anyone who thinks themselves capable of discussing science should be familiar with. So yes, basic math.

It's select math for a select group. I'll grant you that.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Math is hard so evolution is a faith? That's your argument?

Math aside evolution cannot be understood by the average person. It is accepted on faith that science has correctly figured it out.

Upvote 0

crjmurray

The Bear. Not The Bull.
Dec 17, 2014
Lake Ouachita
✟16,029.00
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Private
Math aside evolution cannot be understood by the average person. It is accepted on faith that science has correctly figured it out.

It absolutely can be understood by the average person. I don't know how you define the average person, but I'm sure I fit it. You shouldn't use yourself as the litmus test for common knowledge just because you don't understand something.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
It absolutely can be understood by the average person. I don't know how you define the average person, but I'm sure I fit it. You shouldn't use yourself as the litmus test for common knowledge just because you don't understand something.

That door swings both ways.

Upvote 0

crjmurray

The Bear. Not The Bull.
Dec 17, 2014
Lake Ouachita
✟16,029.00
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Private
That door swings both ways.

Have you drifted off again or are we still talking?

Edit: it's hard to tell if you're keeping up with the conversation or if you're just making random comments.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Have you drifted off again or are we still talking?

Edit: it's hard to tell if you're keeping up with the conversation or if you're just making random comments.

Sorry you missed my point, which was that you are using yourself as a litmus test for others, I wasn't.

Upvote 0

The Cadet

SO COOL
Apr 29, 2010
Munich
✟45,617.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
I'm an average person. I "get" evolution. I may not understand all of the minutia, and I couldn't tell you how, for example, genome sequencing works, but I understand, at a basic level, how it works, and how we know it worked like that. Because, honestly? Most of the evidence is pretty easy to understand.

Animals reproduce with slight modifications. Over time, these modifications can add up until the animal has changed phenomenally. This is really basic, and the evidence for descent with modification can be seen every time you look at a family photo. It is therefore reasonable to assume that at some point, we shared a common ancestor. However, understandably, some people don't consider this particularly convincing, and demand more evidence.

"Viruses can insert themselves into replicating DNA and thus become part of our genetic code. We can find many insertion sites that are the same between us and chimpanzees, and if we compare insertion sites among all currently living animals, we can find degrees of similarity that match up to what the fossil record would tell us about the tree of life."

That's a bit difficult to wrap your head around, but by no means impossible. The problem is, people who reject evolution keep on saying "that's not good enough, that's not good enough" until the strongest evidence - stuff like ERVs or genetic similarities or the transposons in chromosome 2 - show up, they say "I don't get it, therefore it doesn't count". I'm sorry, but sometimes, things are a little complicated.

Reactions: Occams Barber
Upvote 0