Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Something I wrote in another thread on the subject:

I love the bible,

but,

I'd rather be saved and not have it, as to have it and not be saved.

I believe that the bible is only inspired when God inspires it. There are damnable cults that use the same bible we do. For them it is not inspired by God. Instead for them it is anointed by demon gods

It is not a book of magic words to be incanted over life’s problems as some do.

It is not an idol and should not be worshiped as one.

It is written by imperfect men and is in it’s self an imperfect document. It does however point us to a perfect God who desires to have relationship with those He created for that purpose. He and only He can write it on our minds and our hearts.

When inspired by God it is powerful, but, just like the bronze serpent Moses made, to some it has become a god to be worshipped.

No other book has inspired men to be the sons and daughters of the king of the universe the way that it has. It tells us how and shows us the way. It is a map. If we treat is as such, it will lead us to the King.

At the same time, the misuse and misinterpretation of it has killed prophets, caused wars, and prompted men to do all kinds of evil against each other.

Many who can quote it have no relationship with the God it describes, His Son, His Spirit, or the kingdom He brought to us.

John O.
Good post!:thumbsup:
I read your post in the debate section on Jim's~ thread,and you got me inspired.:)

2 Corinthians 3:6
He has made us competent as ministers of a new covenant—not of the letter but of the Spirit; for the letter kills, but the Spirit gives life.

Upvote 0

nephilimiyr

I've Been Keepin My Eyes Wide Open
Jan 21, 2003
Wausau Wisconsin
Visit site
✟40,552.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
PS,Thank God,whew,it is up to 30 degrees now!:D
And here it's all the way up to a whole 11 degrees!!! :clap:

I'll see yah later bro. I'm going to throw on a pair of swimming trunks and dive in the cement pond!!!

Upvote 0

JimB

Legend
Jul 12, 2004
Nacogdoches, Texas
Visit site
✟34,757.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

PS,Thank God,whew,it is up to 30 degrees now!:D

This reminds me. When I was in college I used to work in a sweat shop in Houston. It was November and broiling hot (as it sometimes is in Houston in November) and we were fried and drenched with sweat. At lunch we went out on the dock to eat and one of the guys, from Minnesota, showed us the headlines of the Milwaukee newspaper he had brought to work—it said “Temperature Climbs to 0 Today.” It was a day old news, but it was funny.

~Awanna Freeride

One advantage of talking to yourself is that at least you know somebody is listening.

Upvote 0

pinetree

Mar 17, 2008
USA
✟13,825.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
This reminds me. When I was in college I used to work in a sweat shop in Houston. It was November and broiling hot (as it sometimes is in Houston in November) and we were fried and drenched with sweat. At lunch we went out on the dock to eat and one of the guys, from Minnesota, showed us the headlines of the Milwaukee newspaper he had brought to work—it said “Temperature Climbs to 0 Today.” It was a day old news, but it was funny.

~Awanna Freeride

One advantage of talking to yourself is that at least you know somebody is listening.
hey Jim~,between you and me..:cool:

have you noticed that those northern brothers seem kinda..well..different?;):D

Upvote 0

nephilimiyr

Jan 21, 2003
Wausau Wisconsin
Visit site
✟40,552.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian

~Awanna Freeride

If it wasn't for Spring, Summer, and Fall up here I'd might want to move to Texas? No, not really, I love the snow, just hate the cold.

Upvote 0

JimB

Legend
Jul 12, 2004
Nacogdoches, Texas
Visit site
✟34,757.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
hey Jim~,between you and me..:cool:

have you noticed that those northern brothers seem kinda..well..different?;):D

You mean Yankees? Sure, we have always known that.

~Awanna Freeride

Upvote 0

nephilimiyr

Jan 21, 2003
Wausau Wisconsin
Visit site
✟40,552.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian

Oh, on a side note, if that Minnesota guy really wanted to get you all laughing he should've gave you the Twin Cities paper as Minneapolis was probably -10 degrees or colder that day. Minneapolis is usually 10 or more degrees colder than Milwaukee. Lake Michigan acts as a natural heater for cities on the lake shore. During Summer it acts as an air conditioner.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Alpine

Resident Sojourner
Sep 19, 2005
Wisconsin
✟25,655.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hello..

Where would we be without the Bible,as far as what we believe to be our foundation,and thoughts about God? And out fundamental beliefs?

I think we'd be much like the middle ages Christians. We'd do whatever the bishops told us to do. We'd be doing worse things than indulges and our concept of what Christianity would be based on 100% tradition. If history tells us anything, a religion based on tradition is full of legalism. Much like what Jesus faced when he dealt with the pharisees. Jesus didn't seem to fond of their idea of true faith.

Upvote 0

nephilimiyr

Jan 21, 2003
Wausau Wisconsin
Visit site
✟40,552.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Man you guys were busy while I was sleeping on the other side of the world!

Don't you guys have lives or something??? ;)
Nope, not today. I played hookie from school. I only have one more day before Winter break. :clap:

Upvote 0

New_Wineskin

Contributor
Jun 26, 2004
Elizabethtown , PA , usa
✟13,854.00
Faith
Non-Denom
What do ya think?

I think that it would be absolutely wonderful !! More people ould actually live with the New Covenant - listening to Him - fellowshipping with Him - speaking to other Christians without some law or rule to get in the way of conversation because someone has to say that the "bible" says this or that about something to be done or not done .

edited to add : That might freak-out some people . So , I would say ... it would be nice for five years . Then , after people see that they don't *need* the Scriptures , they can read them and use them in a better way .

Last edited:
Reactions: Seeking Him
Upvote 0
C

Cassidy

I think that it would be absolutely wonderful !! More people ould actually live with the New Covenant - listening to Him - fellowshipping with Him - speaking to other Christians without some law or rule to get in the way of conversation because someone has to say that the "bible" says this or that about something to be done or not done .

edited to add : That might freak-out some people . So , I would say ... it would be nice for five years . Then , after people see that they don't *need* the Scriptures , they can read them and use them in a better way .

Ok I'm glad you added that last part ;) Cos I was just about to say..what about Neph's idea about the gifts fizzling out?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

NaLuvena

Nov 18, 2008
Apia, Samoa
✟10,557.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
May I ask who the missionaries were and if their church is still promenant in Figi? Do you now have other churches, denominations? The charismatic renewal?

Methodists and Catholics. Now we have other denominations too (Charismatics, Evangelical, Greek Orthodox etc etc)

Upvote 0

NaLuvena

Nov 18, 2008
Apia, Samoa
✟10,557.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Sure, that was something wasn't it, but I'm not talking about stifling the Spirit but the gifts of the Spirit. God gave us the gifts of the Spirit for a reason and I don't believe it was just for the early church.

lanuvena didn't tell all. I asked him about the missionaries and who they were and whether the charismatic renewal was happening in Figi. Sadly he went off line before he answered.

Sorry, I went off line because of the time differences between us. :D Unfortunately, I still need downtime every once in a while ;)

To answer your question, there was a revival when the missionaries came. There are books written about this by the missionaries who came then, and you can actually read the journals of the missionaries who were there.

You can read " The Deep Sea Canoe" or anything by John Hunt, who was the prominent missionary who came to Fiji at that time.

Yes it's very possible that God spoke to that man but does all God want from us is acknowledgement that He is real? That's the impression I got from the first part of his story. Does 13 generations take us back to Christ? If so, why didn't this being that spoke to the man simply tell him about Jesus and that He is the only way? Like I said in my first reply to him, my thoughts are racing. I have many questions about this.

If this being wanted this man to know the truth, why didn't He just tell him? If He was able to communicate with him, why tell him that he had to wait for these missionaries to come to bring the message? Why the middle man? I say cut the middle man out, you already are in conversation, just tell him!

Probably for the same reasons why He didn't reveal all of that to the saints in the OT.

Proverbs 25:2

It is the glory of God to conceal a matter; to search out a matter is the glory of kings.

13 generations from me would place the event roughly 400-500 years ago. I say roughly, because I do not know exactly myself.

Also, I don't agree that the gifts are being stifled. They are being used elsewhere, just not where you are at the moment.

Upvote 0

nephilimiyr

Jan 21, 2003
Wausau Wisconsin
Visit site
✟40,552.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Sorry, I went off line because of the time differences between us. :D Unfortunately, I still need downtime every once in a while ;)
Hi NaLuvena :wave:

I was just pointing out that I had questions about this and didn't get any answers so I still have alot of questions. ;)

To answer your question, there was a revival when the missionaries came. There are books written about this by the missionaries who came then, and you can actually read the journals of the missionaries who were there.

You can read " The Deep Sea Canoe" or anything by John Hunt, who was the prominent missionary who came to Fiji at that time.
Well, the way "revival" is handled on this forum I would have to say you aren't saying much. Make a thread once on a revival springing up somewhere and automatically people come running yelling false teachers and the like. what kind of revival was it, what were the people told, who were the missionaries? Jehovah's Witnesses? the Mormons?

Probably for the same reasons why He didn't reveal all of that to the saints in the OT.
What year was this? Did this happen before or after Christ?

If Jesus had already been born, died and raised again from the cross, there is no possible logical reason why God would want to keep that from this man until the missionaries came. That's all I'm saying. If they were in conversation, and I believe he was hearing from someone, then there was no reason at all not to tell him of this great news himself. God relies on the Holy Spirit to change hearts, not man. There could've been a revival long before those missionaries arived.

13 generations from me would place the event roughly 400-500 years ago. I say roughly, because I do not know exactly myself.
Well, see, now I know I have a problem with this.

Also, I don't agree that the gifts are being stifled. They are being used elsewhere, just not where you are at the moment.
The gifts of the Holy Spirit died out in the second century AD. I didn't use the word "stifled" pinetree did. By the late 1800's and early 1900's the gifts came back and are being manafested today. I didn't say they were not being manafested where I am at, although I admitt not many are in use. Then again, I don't go to all the churches in my area.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.